PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know the Formula for .22 RF Lube?

Southron Sanders
07-03-2010, 06:06 PM
As far as I can tell, the absolute BEST bullet lube is the stuff the big ammo companies (Remington, Federal, Winchester, etc,.) use on their .22 Rimfire ammo.

The lube not only works but is fairly stable (in both hot and cold weather) and lasts for decades in not centuries. I would like to make some for my own cast bullets.

So, does anyone know the formula for these .22 Rimfire lubes OR they proprietary secrets of the big ammo companies?

Inquiring minds want to know that or those formulas!

THANKS!

crabo
07-03-2010, 06:46 PM
A LITTLE shot of Pam will often shrink groups. Attached is a 50 yard target with and without Pam.

If you want some really slippery lube, try the Wolf/ SK match ammo.

deltaenterprizes
07-03-2010, 07:15 PM
From what I have read it is carnuba wax.

870TC
07-05-2010, 07:34 PM
Try Rooster Jacket.

Hip's Ax
07-06-2010, 07:17 AM
The high end stuff (Eley, Lapua & RWS) is a soft lube, allegedly bee's wax and tallow. I can believe it most of the time but over the years I've seen Eley use stuff that looked just like white lith grease and brown bearing grease.

Some of the best match ammo ever was Winchester Mark III and that had a graphite lube.

The match ammo companies guard their lube formula jealously. We tried to buy some Lapua lube from the company years ago to pre-treat our barrels and they wouldn't even speak to us about it.

The run of the mill stuff seems to have little or no lube on it. I could be made to believe carnauba wax.