PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 1894CL .25-20 to .256??

Eutectic
07-03-2010, 12:21 PM
I have a Marlin Model 1894CL .25-20 that is a prima donna in the accuracy department!
Someone on this site mentioned hundreds of rounds through a .25-20 without decent results.... Thus is this Marlin's story! I have shot many, many, groups of both jacketed and cast of all weights with only an occasional OK group. I have a 77gr HP gascheck load that really shoots in my Model 92 SRC .25-20. As good as I can see with a tang peep... about 3/4" at 50 yards. The Marlin shot the same load into 4" !!!!
The Marlin's chamber is huge, the throat lousy compared to the 92.... Bore slugs .2572". Ballard type 6 lands and grooves.
To the point..... There seems to be a knowledgeable bunch here on Marlin levers. I am thinking of making this Model 94 into a .256 Win Mag. I have all the case forming equipment. Probably a re-barrel with a one in 12" twist. Add a full magazine while I'm at it! (Someone did that here which I thought a great idea.)

My questions are this:

Can the .25-20 bolt be used as is?

Can the .25-20 bolt be used with adding a .357 extractor?

Add a .357 ejector?

Will the original carrier work?

Thanks for your help on this..... Eutectic

bigdog454
07-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Don't know about the 256, but you could make it into a 25-20 improved, kinda like a K-hornet.

35remington
07-03-2010, 02:49 PM
First, I'd do a chamber cast to be sure that rechambering to an only slightly longer cartridge (the 256) would entirely clean up the chamber and throat.

Speaking for how the 25-20 is used, I can't say that the additional slight range of the 256 would be as much as a benefit as the shorter neck would be a handicap with cast. If it were me, I'd just get a good barrel in 25 caliber with a 1-12 twist and chamber to 25-20 with a chamber length and throat that were cast bullet friendly.

Since no additional modifications are needed, what you save in keeping it a 25-20 can be spent on a really good barrel, making the difference in cost less of an alternative and the improvement in accuracy more of a certainty (as opposed to the original barrel, which may have other issues besides the chamber alone).

I think the 25-20 is optimal as a small game and varmint cartridge as is. It just needs an accuracy boost from your Marlin.

Molly
07-04-2010, 12:30 AM
I have a Marlin Model 1894CL .25-20 that is a prima donna in the accuracy department!
... hundreds of rounds through a .25-20 without decent results...
Thanks for your help on this..... Eutectic

Reline that sucker! A barrel liner will give you a new chamber and bore at a lot less cost than a new barrel. It's not hard for an experienced 'smith to do, and you will keep (mostly) the originality of the gun, if that's important to you. I've had several relined barrels, and they all shot like they had eyeballs. Also, you don't have to change anything in the feeding mechanism, you keep the bolt face intact, etc. It's got a lot going for it. Check it out.

BTW, an alternative almost as good is to reline it to 32-20: Still the same bolt face, cartridge length, etc so you don't have to worry about any of that. And the 32-20 is a GREAT little round. Sure wish I hadn't let myself get talked out of mine!

John Taylor
07-04-2010, 02:49 AM
Just got done working on getting a 92 Winchester to feed the 256. Marlin should have no problems with feed but the bolt face will need to be opened a bit and the frame may need to be opened to allow the larger rim. A reline in my shop would run $320, using a hammer forged liner from T.J.'s. ( 25-20 or 32-20 ) .If it is just a chamber issue, that might be able to be repaired with a sleeve in the chamber. Slug the bore and check for looseness at the muzzle. It is not easy to find loaded ammo for the 256, especially for a tube mag. I found four places that list it but none had any in stock. The 25-20 is easy to find.

frank505
07-04-2010, 01:47 PM
A friend of mine lucked into a 1894 rebarrelled to 256. It is a killing sob on hogs up to 150 lbs with j word bullets. He has shot some cast but dont know what. I had one of those 25/20's, really did not like the lack of power on this side of the mountain. Gave it another friend on the other side of the mountain(east), it is his prairie dog whacker and he loves it.