PDA

View Full Version : Custom Ruger

MitchK
07-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Just received this Ruger No1. Keith Kilby at Wyoming Armory built it for me.(Disclaimer-Keith is my brother):D

Douglas barrel chambered in 30-30. The stock was refit and refinished. New buttplate and grip cap. He had to make a new rib to fit the contour of the barrel. A little engraving here and there. Case hardened to finish off the project.

358wcf
07-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Clean, elegant, I LIKE IT!!!
Tastefully done, and I love the chambering!
An excellent example of classic rifles meant to be used-
Well done-

358wcf [smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

RugerFan
07-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Wow, that's very nice! What you gonna feed it for boolits?

smoked turkey
07-03-2010, 11:06 PM
IMHO, the No.1 is one of the most beautiful rifles currently in production. The action sides just beg for engraving. Very nice, and as been said the caliber of choice is very appropriate. Congradulations. Your brother did excellent work! Are you going to shoot it? It would be a shame not to.

GOPHER SLAYER
07-04-2010, 12:19 AM
Mitchk, that is a beautiful rifle. I also have a #1 that I installed a Winchester Natl. Match barrel on, also chambered in 30.30. I was thinking of replacing the butt plate with one from a pre 64 Mod 70. I was wondering if you would mind doing an old Dude a favor and show a picture of the plate you put on your rifle? If that were my rifle I think I would have to sleep with it under the bed and take it to church with me on Sunday.

MitchK
07-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Thanks everybody. I'm real happy with how the gun turned out. I gave him minimal directions. I wanted a 30-30 barrel with a heavy taper and 26 " long. Also able to shoot iron or scope. He is new to engraving so my gun was kind of a guinea pig.

It is definitely a shooter. I've got some 130 and some 165 grain cast bullets I'm gonna try next week.

A couple more pics attached.

Frank46
07-05-2010, 12:42 AM
Very nice rifle, glad you didn't stick one of them pencil style barrels on that one. Butt plate, grip cap and engraving looks to be well done. Thanks for sharing. Frank

docone31
07-05-2010, 10:02 AM
That is a sweet looking Ruger. Pretty much what I think they should look like.
Tell your engraver friend,
Not bad for a low timer.
I engrave in gold, and silver. He did a good job.
We all got to start somewhere, and he is off to a good start.
Looks good with an heavy barrel I bet it shoots sweet.
30-30 is a good caliber also.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
07-05-2010, 09:05 PM
Only one thing could make it better, and that is the replacement of the Alexander Henry forend grove with a nice piece of contrasting walnut or as I have done on my last one, EBONY.

Way COOL!!!!!!!!!!![smilie=w:

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot