PDA

View Full Version : This place is so great!

jrayborn
07-03-2010, 11:55 AM
I have been casting for about a year now and this morning I just finished casting up a few thousand .38 and .40 boolits and wanted to say thanks to everyone here that makes this place so helpful. I also want to say I appreciate Lee equipment too.

I just got two new Lee 6 cavity molds from the clearance side of Midway for under $30 each with handles I got at a discount because today is my birthday again from Midway for under $12 each and used my Lee 20 pound pot that was about $60.

Now I read in the past about Lee molds and how you probably need to Lee-Ment them to get them to work the best. I have to admit that I didn't do it right away because it was a little intimidating and required some extra effort. However wow what a difference it makes. I did both my new molds last night and broke them in until they cast a good boolit then quit for the night. This morning I went to work starting with the .38 mold and the boolits just jump out of the mold. I went so fast I had to wait for the mold to cool off.

Then I decided why not try using both of them at the same time? Well I tried it and I have to tell you that I have never cast so many boolits so fast. My poor little 20 pound pot could barely keep up. In fact it really couldn't. I would cast and put back the sprues and add an ingot so the temp would just barely break 550 degrees but it still worked really well.

So anyway, thanks to you guys, thanks to Lee, and remember to go the extra mile with Lee molds. A little 500 grit lapping compound and a sheetrock screw make such a huge difference I can't really believe it. Now maybe I need a second pot...

Buckshot
07-05-2010, 03:48 AM
..............I agree we've got a pretty great bunch here.

...............Buckshot

303Guy
07-05-2010, 04:55 AM
Yup. We do indeed have a pretty great bunch here!

Now just going back to your post - you say just finished casting up a few thousand .38 and .40 boolits - HOLY COW! I think I'm doing well when I cast 25 before taking a break! Then it'll take me all week to patch them! I've patched precisely one this evening! (OK, it is a rather beautiful one and I did re-design the patch for it, but still .... oh yes, I also took a pic of it!:mrgreen:)

qajaq59
07-05-2010, 06:55 AM
We're lucky to have the forum. Years ago if you knew one other guy that cast or even reloaded, you were indeed fortunate. Now there's what, maybe 20,000 guys out there that we can ask questions? That is quite a large volume of knowledge to pick from.

jrayborn
07-05-2010, 07:00 AM
303Guy, You have got to have some serious patience. Wrapping paper around lead, wow! I have been following a lot of your posts on paper patching for the .303 Brit, I have a beautiful Number 4 with a .317 (!!) bore that I refuse to not shoot. I actually have taken a swing at paper patching for it, and had success, because of the info I got from this site and you. Thanks!

I had to modify my loading dies to be able to load such a large diameter bullet into a .303 case, used an 8mm expander pin, so far so good. At this point I only have a round that goes bang and heads in the correct direction, but it was actually pretty easy and all I need to do now is develop a good load and figure out how to make more than 5-6 bullets an evening...:p

Again, thanks!

gray wolf
07-05-2010, 07:24 AM
I have to agree, it dosn't get any better than this place. and the people here are top notch.

Sam

izzyjoe
07-05-2010, 07:59 AM
i'll have to agree, like the old milwaukee commercial of years ago said, boy's it don't get no better than this!

MtGun44
07-05-2010, 09:06 AM
Good people, helping and sharing, working to be polite and get along.

Great bunch and time well spent.

Bill

jlchucker
07-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Not only is this a great bunch, but when you open up another gun forum and look at it (like I did this morning) and those guys are about to, or have recently tried bullet casting, you begin to realize how far into this art/science that many members of our group have gone. And how great the cooks are that post in our food section. And how little a lot of other members of other websites know about casting and shooting boolits by comparison.

wiljen
07-05-2010, 09:16 AM
14,468 great members as of now and one BOB. Not too bad a ratio if you ask me.

qajaq59
07-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Ok, I'll bite. What the heck is a BOB?

zuke
07-05-2010, 10:08 AM
If you've thought about it and was wondering about it, all you have to do is ask the question and chance's are pretty good someone here has either done it or has a good reason not to do it.

jmsj
07-05-2010, 10:11 AM
jrayborn,
This is absolutely the best site around !!
The vast and varied knowledge of the guys here and their willingness to share their experience is just beyond belief.
Congradulations on your big casting session and "Lementing". jmsj

wiljen
07-05-2010, 09:56 PM

Bitter Old Bas...

also known as 45Nuts other nickname.

qajaq59
07-06-2010, 06:32 AM
Bitter Old Bas...

also known as 45Nuts other nickname. Hmmm, that might also cover quit a few of us old dudes. LOL

Ron
07-06-2010, 06:46 AM
45Nut, %%%%%% old Bast%%% is considered a term of endearment in the Land Down Under, you should be proud to have earned it. Well done.

45nut
07-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Thanks Ron!

zuke
07-06-2010, 02:50 PM

Battery Operated Boyfriend

ghh3rd
07-06-2010, 05:25 PM
I learned so much, so quickly by just reading what everyone was posting. I made all of the usual mistakes, but this forum bumped me back on track and I was getting good results pretty quickly.

Great site!