PDA

View Full Version : Big Bore Garand Anyone?

Uncle Grinch
08-19-2006, 09:29 PM
Take a look at this web site. It's a 458 Mag Garand for those who really like big guns.

http://www.mccannindustries.com/rifles/458garand/458garand.html

Four Fingers of Death
08-20-2006, 02:39 AM
That's something else. It surprises me, because I always thought that you had to hold your reloads to mil levels in Garands. I have had no personal experience with them. Like to get my hands on a 338, maybe even an ought six done up like that! Mick.

Jack Stanley
08-20-2006, 05:49 PM
None for me thanks . I'm real happy with keeping the Garand in thirty caliber . I've heard of the two seventies doing real well but I don't think I'll try it .

Jack

Scrounger
08-20-2006, 06:19 PM
Springfield Armory used to offer the M1A in .243 and .358 Winchester as well as .308. No reason any caliber that is safe and operational in a bolt action .30-06 shouldn't work fine in the Garand. A Garand in .35 Whelan would make a fine bear gun.

StarMetal
08-20-2006, 07:10 PM
Art,

Not a M14 or even a Garand, but Armalite offers their AR10 in two of two or more of those calibers your mention, the 308 of course and the 243. I had called them once and asked if they concidered making a 6.8 Remington or 6.5 Grendel for their AR15 series. They said no. I said why not? They said don't need it, we got it covered with what we sell. Hmmmmmm An AR10 is an AR15 on steroids so that means bigger, so the 243 AR10 may cover those two rounds I mentioned in ballistics, but the rifle it's in doesn't match it in size and weight.

Joe

Ross
08-20-2006, 11:52 PM
When I sold my .35 Whelan Garand the buyer immediately replaced the perfect barrel with a new .30-'06 barrel.
When I bought it I was told that it was an Ackley rebore. It was flawless in feed and quite accurate with a wide variety of bullets and loads.
The only thing I ever killed with it was a squirrel that I barked on a telegraph pole. I missed the squirrel, but the splinter dispatched (and eviscerated) it immediately.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

HTRN
08-21-2006, 02:13 PM
For those looking for a more economical semi auto .458, a Magnum BAR is easy to convert. A competent gunsmith should be able to do one fairly cheap under $1500 including the cost of the gun.

HTRN

Scrounger
08-21-2006, 03:06 PM
For those looking for a more economical semi auto .458, a Magnum BAR is easy to convert. A competent gunsmith should be able to do one fairly cheap under $1500 including the cost of the gun.

HTRN

I have lived too long. $1500 is considered cheap???? Do you still wonder why there aren't as many people shooting at the ranges as there used to be? The yuppies have taken over and driven prices over the reach of the average working man. Requiem for a shooter...

Uncle Grinch
08-21-2006, 03:32 PM
I have lived too long. $1500 is considered cheap???? Do you still wonder why there aren't as many people shooting at the ranges as there used to be? The yuppies have taken over and driven prices over the reach of the average working man. Requiem for a shooter...

I agree whole heartedly. My toys have always migrated to the more vintage type firearms (relatively speaking) . It took me a number of years to learn to love my Garand. I sold my first one (IHC) and didn't miss it until it was gone. But a 458??? I'll stick with my 45-70 Marlin.