PDA

View Full Version : Castboolit's thoughts on this mold?

Ole
07-02-2010, 11:30 PM
I have a 6 banger in 200 RF and 265 RD. Also have a 2 banger in the .432" round ball molds.

Just kicking around the idea of getting another 44 mold. Price seems good on this one:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=194309

Do you guys have any experience shooting these (as cast) as plinking bullets in a 7.5" Redhawk, 2.5" Alaskan, Charter Arms bulldog, or a Marlin 1894?

Neither of my pistols hasn't liked a homemade cast i've made bullet so far.

Maybe I should buy a 158gr .357 mold for my GP100 instead? [smilie=b:

RobS
07-03-2010, 12:22 AM
The tumble lube design is ok for plinking however it is a bullet that can be a bit tricky to push with any sort of velocity/pressures as I find the TL grooves do not hold enough lube. The bullet dropped from the particular 6 cavity mold at .4305 or so. Accuracy was good with zip or 231 powder and even Unique was good as well. In the Marlin the lube may give you fits in the magazine tube unless you wipe down the nose of the bullet as the Alox can gum up the inside if you run alot through it. Crimping for the TL bullet has to be done in one of the shallow lube grooves which isn't a problem if it is to be used as a plinking round. With heavier recoil loads in the revolvers you may have an issue with bullet jump due to the crimp being more difficult to apply.

All in all not a bad bullet if you want a pretty good accurate bullet for plinking and don't mind TL'ing bullets.

runfiverun
07-03-2010, 12:33 AM
that is the only lee design i have ever shot, it does do well at the lower velocities.
i used it in 44 special brass in my 44 mag levergun, it'd tip rams at 100-yds easily, over 4 grs titegroup.

HeavyMetal
07-03-2010, 01:20 AM
Ole

You'll find I'm a bit "opinionated" when it come to boolit molds particularly in the big bores like the 44 and 45 auto.

So I will state my thoughts on the Lee "tumble lube" designs, all of them.

I would not give one to my ex-wife!

Lee has some good designs in there line up but I have yet to see a TL design that lights my fire!

If your looking for a good all around 44 boolit for fast or slow speeds and point blank to 30 yards the choice's are simple: a good Lyman 429421 or an RCBS 44-250-K

There are other 44 boolits out there to be sure and, like most of us, you will have a least one of each go through your hands over the years. However I have never been without one of the two 44 boolit molds mentioned , current version is a single cavity HP Mold, and I am giving the same to the BIL here this month for his B-day.

As for a mold for your GP-100?

The RBCS 38-150 SWC has been my go to 357 boolit forever and will never be sold. I also have a recent Lyman 358429 HP as well but because these have a tendency to be to long in most 357's I suggest the RCBS mold until you know better about boolit length and the cartridge OAL fr the GP-100.

Moonie
07-03-2010, 12:54 PM
I agree to a point, I have had the TL molds and never could get loads to work quite well enough. Don't get me wrong I do like lee molds, he standard lube groove are pretty good and I recommend them. In 44 you might try the 310gr lee, in 44 I always liked heavies.

izzyjoe
07-03-2010, 01:55 PM
i bought that mould few months back for a plink'n boolit instead my lee 310gr. all can say is it drops boolits small, .429 small :( but anyway i said what the hey shoot 'em anyway, so i lubed them seated on to of 6gr. unique. i only made 5rds. cause i did'nt want to waste powder/primer on more till i see how they did. ok i set up a target at 50 yd. and shot the 5rds. and walk to my target and four were in a little cluster, about 2'' with one high 2'' above the rest. i seen no signs of leading. so i will try some more, next time it may take turn for the worse, but i'm happy so far. i will try to lap it out to .432 latter if i can.:Fire: a friend said i would be more happy with the keith boolit, and i would like to try it someday. lol

Moonie
07-03-2010, 03:46 PM
I had a 429421 many years ago and did like it but as I said preferred heavies in 44 mag. I had a mold that was supposed to cast a 320gr fp gc but when cast from ww and gc applied it was right at 350 and was very accurate.