PDA

View Full Version : Cast bullet book

abunaitoo
08-19-2006, 04:22 PM
Anyone know where I can get a copy of Col. E. H. Harrison book on cast bullets????
Out of print from NRA. Can't seem to find it anywhere for a reasonable price.

wills
08-19-2006, 05:11 PM
Amazon has it

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0007ASOHO/sr=8-1/qid=1156021775/ref=sr_1_1/102-9934015-1884100?ie=UTF8

Rangerone
08-19-2006, 05:12 PM
I have a like new copy that I am not selling at this time...

However if you need a particular article copied & mailed, I can do that for you.

abunaitoo
08-19-2006, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the offer Rangerone. I may take you up on it. Trying to find one here on this rock.
I wish the NRA would come out with reprints of all the old books they had.

abunaitoo
08-21-2006, 10:11 PM
I couldn't find one on this rock so I bit the boolet and put a bid for one on ebay. I won it. Paid $40.00 for it, but Amazon had three with the cheapest at $44.00, so I saved $4.00.
I would be just my luck if NRA comes out with a reprint tomorrow for $10.00.:(

StarMetal
08-21-2006, 10:20 PM
Months ago I sent the NRA a letter to ask permission to reprint their book. Never got an answer.

Joe

Sixgun Symphony
08-22-2006, 01:42 AM
You ought to check out the Advanced Book Exchange.

http://www.abebooks.com/

dromia
08-22-2006, 11:48 AM
Well thats interesting, it looks like there is exactly the same copy on ABE books as one of Amazons only the ABE book is over twice the price.

Beau Cassidy
08-22-2006, 11:51 AM
If you got it for $40 you done good.

mazo kid
08-22-2006, 12:42 PM
Question.....Are all the books signed and numbered? I found a cased copy in an antique store in Gallatin, Tn. last March. The price was $30.00, which I thought was a bit much at the time, but bought it anyway. Sounds like maybe I did a good thing??!! My book is signed by E. H. Harrison and numbered. Emery

Dale53
08-23-2006, 12:22 AM
Mine is not signed and numbered.

Dale53

abunaitoo
08-23-2006, 02:30 AM
I was thinking I paid to much for the book. But looking at what they are going for, I got a good deal. I just hope it's worth it.
Anyone know when NRA ran out of them?????

alamogunr
08-23-2006, 09:06 AM
Amazing! I got mine several years ago along with the supplement and the 3 annuals from Handloader, from Bill Ferguson. He had them at the time. Don't remember what I paid, but it was less than $40 for the whole lot. Sometimes I do get lucky.
John

abunaitoo
08-26-2006, 04:09 PM
Lots of good info in it. A little dated, but seems to still be true today. Anyone know of any other books on cast bullet shooting that would be good to get?????

libbyman
08-26-2006, 04:39 PM
the Art of Bullet Casting

from Handloader & Rifle magazines 1966- 1981

Published by Wolfe Pub. Co.
P.O. Box 30-30
Prescot, AZ. 86302

This is a very interesting book.

Ken in nw Mt.

alamogunr
08-26-2006, 04:48 PM
the Art of Bullet Casting

from Handloader & Rifle magazines 1966- 1981

Published by Wolfe Pub. Co.
P.O. Box 30-30
Prescot, AZ. 86302

This is a very interesting book.

Ken in nw Mt.

I believe this book and the 3 annuals are only available on DVD now. I'm going to buy it to save wear and tear on my printed copies.
John

RugerFan
08-26-2006, 04:52 PM
I believe this book and the 3 annuals are only available on DVD now. I'm going to buy it to save wear and tear on my printed copies.
John

Yup and here's the link:

http://www.riflemagazine.com/catalog/detail.cfm?ProductID=809

Maven
08-26-2006, 05:55 PM
RCBS' "Cast Bullet Manual, No. 1" (1986) is worth reading and can be had for very little $$. Its loading data is much more limited than Lyman's "Cast Bullet Handbook, 3rd Ed.," but the chapter on heat-treatment of CB's by Dennis Marshall is excellent. The already mentioned Lyman [hand]book is dated, but quite thorough as well.

obssd1958
08-27-2006, 02:04 AM
I just picked up a copy of Lyman's "Cast Bullet Handbook" 3rd edition, from Boise's new Cabela's store yesterday. Paid $12.49 + tax. It seems to have a lot of info in it - is there anything that I should be aware of, using it?

Thanks,

Don

waksupi
08-27-2006, 03:11 AM
I just picked up a copy of Lyman's "Cast Bullet Handbook" 3rd edition, from Boise's new Cabela's store yesterday. Paid $12.49 + tax. It seems to have a lot of info in it - is there anything that I should be aware of, using it?

Thanks,

Don

Don, beware of paper cuts.

Maven
08-27-2006, 09:24 AM
Don, Yes, there are 2 things to be aware of. First, the loading data is very conservative and for certain calibers, e.g., the 7.62 x 54R and the 8 x 57mm (seems to assume there are lots of .318" bores around), quite limited. Second, they sometimes list loads for W 748 that Winchester said shouldn't be used. Other than that, it's an excellent handbook.

Char-Gar
08-27-2006, 06:34 PM
I have a copy of Harrison's NRA book and have read it "quiver to quiver" several time over the past 20 years. There is lots of good information and Harrison presents some very impressive and documented research in 30 cal cast bullets.

The problem is, every time I read it, I find myself more and more in disagreement with some of his hard and cold conclusions. It seems to me, that he noticed some trends and attributed them to causes without throughly investigation other possible causes.

He is rabid in his insistance that sizing destroys bullets without through investigation into ways that bullets can be sized without destoying accuracy. He insists that fast powders like 2400 and 4227 only produce good accuracy at loads in the 1.3K fps area, and he totaly ignores the fit of the bullet to the throat and throws all his eggs into the barrel land, groove and rifling style basket.

Like I said, there is much good information, but some of his starting points and assumptions lead him down some false trails . We are endebted to Col Harrison for his work and in some way ground breaking writing, but we have come a long way in our knowledge and understanding since his work in 1979.

Twenty years ago, I followed Harrisons assumptions like they were scripture and didn't get the results I wanted. When I began to question some of his stuff and listen to other voices, I began to see the sucess I so dearly wanted.

So...while I enjoy the book and consider it a valuable resource, I am very hinky about considering it a primary resource for new cast bullet shooters. If you don't know enough to seperate the wheat from the chafe you can get some false starts from his work.

MT Gianni
08-28-2006, 08:57 PM
Chargar, The same can be said for Veral Smith's book, the Lyman and RCBS books and others. The Rcbs book reccommends low velocity rifle loads with ww296 which WW says is a big non-no. That is the reason for the popularity of this site and others, Debunking the myth's. Gianni.

Dale53
08-29-2006, 12:46 AM
Gee, you think maybe we have learned a thing or two in the past forty years or so? I give E.H. Harrison LOTS of credit. He pretty much stated that if you followed his "Gospel" you would have DECENT results. He did not claim you would always have EXCELLENT results. He mentioned several fellows he knew that weren't satisfied with "decent" results and were quite successful.

A number of years ago, I was talking to Bruce Hodgdon at the NRA Convention. I thanked him for all of the cast bullet data that he included in his loading manual (particularly, pressure test information). He wryly laughed and stated he was glad that someone read it. He stated that E.H. Harrison ran his pressure gun every weekend for two years. THAT is where the information came from. He and Harrison were good friends and that made all of that possible. Hodgdon told me he thought that he might as well publish the information as Harrison had developed it and all he had to do was include it in the manual. He, Harrison, actually published, in the NRA book, a LOT of data as a number of you have stated. Most of us would NEVER, in three lifetimes, put that kind of effort into the "sport" of cast bullet shooting.

Personally, his information gave me a solid grounding in practical use of cast bullets and I listened and learned and shot and shot and shot and learned a thing or two from lots of other people.

We are SO fortunate to have this forum to share our experiences but, PLEASE, don't let us be so terribly critical of the people (pioneers really) that went before us.

Incidentally, this is NOT directed at anyone particular - just a few thoughts from an idle fellow...

Dale53

singleshot1
08-29-2006, 08:35 PM
abunaitoo, find a 1958 copy of Lyman's cast bullet book. It is as good if not better than the current one. It also has a fold out page with the then current mould offerings. I see them on e-bay from time to time. Good luck, Dave

Char-Gar
08-31-2006, 08:35 AM
Dale... I guess I am being a little defensive here, but it needs to be said, that while we have appreciation and respect for those who "gone before", it is not bad form, to point out where they missed the ball and/or what has been learned subsequent the pioneer's experience.

It is one things to be critical because a person just has a critical spirit, and another to be critical to advance the state of knowledge.

I have been casting for 47 years and most of that time, it has been a rather serious effort. I bought Harrisons book when it first came out and followed it like it was holy writ. It was well written, well researched and quite impressive.

My sucess was hit and miss. Trying to find underesize molds that didn't require sizing more than .003 and yet had a nose big enough to provide stability on the lands was a truly difficult task.

When I happened on to this board in 98, I learned about nose first sizing and throat fit as key factor in cast bullet accuracy. All of a sudden my sucess rate with cast bullets skyrocketed and getting my rifles to shoot cast well is much, much easier.

As much research as Harrison did, he missed a couple of issues that lead him down some wrong paths. He accepted some old assumptions from the past as fact and didn't not test them to see if they were valid, or attempt to find another way to "skin the cat".

No doubt he spent allot of time with Bruce's pressure gun, and that data is indeed helpful, but for all of that and all of that, it doesn't mean he didn't miss some rather significant balls.

It is not bad form, or being overly critical, to point these out, if it done to move the science/art/craft forward. If those who have gone before become sacred cows, who can't be corrected, the there is no such thing as progress.

There are several boards, where it is dangerous to suggest that Elmer Keith was not the total, all knowing Yoda on everything having to do with guns. Elmer, Whelen, O'Connon, Paige, Nessmuch,Harrison etc, etc, were all folks of their times. But, like the old radio program (March of Time) said... "Time Marches On!".

fatnhappy
08-31-2006, 11:18 AM
I got my copy of Cast Bullets for the princely sum of $10. Some unknowing fellow listed it at e-bay with a $10 "buy it now" option. It remains the best internet deal I've made.

AZ-Stew
09-11-2006, 11:44 PM
Does anyone know whether there was a second supplement to the original Harrison book? I have the book and "Supplement #1". Just wondering if there was a second.

Regards,

Stew

500bfrman
09-12-2006, 09:52 AM
Months ago I sent the NRA a letter to ask permission to reprint their book. Never got an answer.

Joe

That sounds like a go to me.

Yance
09-15-2006, 09:44 PM
Question.....Are all the books signed and numbered? I found a cased copy in an antique store in Gallatin, Tn. last March. The price was $30.00, which I thought was a bit much at the time, but bought it anyway. Sounds like maybe I did a good thing??!! My book is signed by E. H. Harrison and numbered. Emery

Do you still sleep well after having stolen that signed and numbered cased book??? It is the hardback, right?

Don't know how many there were, but they're very few and EXPENSIVE. I quit bidding at $85.00 on the only one I've ever seen for sale on eBay. It went over $120.00. IOW, You done GOOD!!!!!!!

Bret4207
09-16-2006, 08:13 AM
Yes, there is a NRA Cast Bullets Supplement #1 out there. I haven't got it yet, but am looking.

Col Harrison did some great work, as did Elmer, Jack, etc. But you'll also notice a lot of what all of them did was limited by their own prefrences and beliefs. Doesn't mean they were wrong, just that they didn't have the complete picture. Hey, no ones perfect. My view is grab ALL the info you can, old and new, and wring it all out to the best of your ability. Take the hints and methods that work for you and use them, fine tune and improve them. Then pass on the info here for everyone to share. If everyone here could get Sharpes, Matterns, Naramores, Keiths, Roberts, NRA, Lyman and all the other books, thoroughly digest them and distill the best knowledge from them all we'd be far ahead of where we are even today. The important thing is we keep sharing the info to improve out lot here.

Four Fingers of Death
09-16-2006, 08:42 AM
Boy those prices are something else. They don't even post pics, talk about buying a pig in a poke. I have one, it is a quarto sized softcover with articles and items from his columns over the years.