PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Primers ?

pt4u2nv
07-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Been quite a while since I loaded any calibers with the large psitol primers and when I went for my LP primer stash the Winchester box says they are for standard and Magnum loads......That does not make sense to me. Any comments before I use them on my 45 Long Colt

Randall
07-02-2010, 10:05 AM
I use them for everything,.45 auto with bullseye to .44mag and 296 no problems.I experimented a few years ago with different primers and slow powders to see if accuracy would be affected. With 296 in a .44 mag at 50 yards accuracy was better with Federal mag primers than WW by about 1/2 inch on average.So I use WW just to keep things simple.Your results may vary.

Guesser
07-02-2010, 12:10 PM
I prefer Winchester Large Pistol primers exactly because of the simplicity of maintaining an inventory. I too, conducted unofficial and unscientific tests with them and various cartridges and powders, they performed as advertised. I did my tests back when they were "silver"(nickel plated) and saw no reason to do it again when they changed to the brass colored in blue box. As an aside, I had a collection(read Mess) of 357 and 38 Special cases that were old enough to take a LP primer, so I ran the tests thru them too. Winchester LP primers work as advertised!!!!!!!!

pt4u2nv
07-02-2010, 01:23 PM
So I can use them as regular primers and Magnum ? That sure is different.

Rocky Raab
07-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Yes, you can. They are an intermediate strength, not too strong for standard loads but strong enough for magnums. Like all Winchester primers, they are formulated to work best with Ball™ powders.

Char-Gar
07-02-2010, 02:24 PM
There is actually not a mega difference between standard and magnum primers of the same brand. With a smidge of powder charge adjustment both can be used for most purposes. There are some slow ball pistol powders that require a magnum primer for their best work, but they will light up and go bang with standard primers.

Jack Stanley
07-02-2010, 09:13 PM
I don't think there has been a Winchester large pistol primer that's failed to light anything for me in the last thirty years . I've used them in all kinds of loads ... not to worry , they will work fine for ya .

Jack

Muddy Creek Sam
07-02-2010, 09:19 PM
All I use in my BP shot shells.

Sam :D

fredj338
07-02-2010, 09:39 PM
There is actually not a mega difference between standard and magnum primers of the same brand. With a smidge of powder charge adjustment both can be used for most purposes. There are some slow ball pistol powders that require a magnum primer for their best work, but they will light up and go bang with standard primers.
That by itself implies there is a diff & there is. You need to be careful & NOT just swap magnum primer for std. Always rework the loads. What I have learned over the years, all powders & powder charges do NOT responde the same to primer changes.

sagacious
07-03-2010, 03:05 AM
WLP primers have never failed to light heavy charges of W296 for me.
WLP primers have never failed to light small charges of W231 for me.

Why buy anything else? Simplifies matters immensely.

44man
07-03-2010, 07:43 AM
The WLP is a good primer but they will open groups slightly with the .45 Colt. I use 296 and a Fed 150 primer and tests show a little increase in 50 yard groups with a WW. Not as bad as a full mag primer though.
A Fed 155 will triple groups in the .45 and .44.
Load workup does not help. Just too much primer pressure.

jlchucker
07-03-2010, 08:50 AM
I use standard Winchester primers for everything I load. CCI when I can't get Winchesters, but they all seem to be available again for the time being.

Three44s
07-03-2010, 09:19 AM
I would not worry about medium or light loads ....... you might need to adjust your charge a triffle.

But in a max load of 2400 ...... I'd back off a good bit off of the Keith loading level (standard primers).

The way I look at the one size fit's all of the Winy pistol primers is that it is yet a THIRD choice ..... a split between standards and magnums.

Three 44s

DLCTEX
07-03-2010, 09:26 AM
The Winchesters work well in my 480 Ruger with H 110 and in 45 ACP.