PDA

View Full Version : I want a lubrisizer.

bmblong
08-19-2006, 02:17 PM
I have been casting for about a year now. I want to step up from tumble lubing. What is the best lubrisizer to get? The Lyman 4500 receives very bad reviews on Midway USA. RCBS and Saeco get really good reviews but run 25 dollars more. Just looking for suggestions and am also wondering if it is worth buying one. Thanks.

hpdrifter
08-19-2006, 02:24 PM
I've got a 4500 and have no problems with it. The dies, on the other hand have given me a few problems. I've had to plug a few holes for proper lubing a single groove boolit, but that woulda been a problem in any press; I think.

Bullshop
08-19-2006, 02:33 PM
I have a Star I believe I will be selling. I got it new and used it little. I have the press with most of the comon sizers and several base and nose punches.
Also have the tools for changing dies ect. All in excellent condition but prolly a bit dusty from sitting under my casting bench for a couple years.
If interested let me know. I like to barter so cash is not important.
BIC/BS

1Shirt
08-19-2006, 03:03 PM
Star is excellent, but then so, IMNTBHO is the Lyman. Have been using a lyman for pushing 40 years, and have no complaint.
1Shirt!

rbwillnj
08-19-2006, 03:18 PM
As I have said before, Buy a Star, and skip the rest of the learning curve.

StarMetal
08-19-2006, 03:29 PM
Buy a Star and skip the rest of the learning curve is like saying buy a Mercedes, BWM, Porche, Lexus and skip the learinng curve, or buy a Rolex and skip the learning curve...not so! Everyone, for one, does not have the money to afford a Star. I bought a Lyman back in early 80's and it's still going strong. If you don't want to spent the money on a Star, buy the RCBS since their quality looks a tab better then Lyman nowadays, although they are basically the same machine, and RCBS definately has a good customer service staff and super warranty.

Joe

steveb
08-19-2006, 03:34 PM
I have the RCBS LubOmatic II and like it. They have a great warranty to. I installed a ratchet on top of mine and basically screwed it up the first time. I called them and told them about the mishap and no questions asked they sent me new parts el pronto. I still installed a ratchet on top but did a better job at it the second time around....Steve. (Thanks again Jim;) )

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/steveb3006/thandleremoved.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/steveb3006/LubOmaticcloseuplarge.jpg

mooman76
08-19-2006, 03:59 PM
One thing to think about Lyman and RCBS are interchangeable where the sizers and top punches are concerned. I just picked up a Lyman but relly haven't had it long enough to give you a opinion. It's an older one but in great shape. No problems so far.

bmblong
08-19-2006, 04:27 PM
Bullshop, I appreciate the offer. How much? What sizing dies\top punches do you have? I will think about it.

Steveb, thanks for the pictures. That RCBS does look well made. I take it you use a soft lube since that lubrisizer doesn't have a heater? But then Lyman seems to be the only one that sells a heater.

Mooman 76, I had read that those were interchangeable and like that alot.

If I thought I had a lot of questions about starting casting I really have a lot of questions about lubing and sizing. I guess one of the reasons is that the lubrisizer seems a little expensive for what it does. I want to make sure that I would look back and wonder how I lived without it. Thanks for all the info....

rbwillnj
08-19-2006, 05:03 PM
StarMetal,

Yes, a Star does cost more, but not that much more, espeically if you look around. I haven't paid more than $110 for any of mine, but even at the going rate of ~$175, they aren't that much more than the other products. I think it really comes down to how many bullets you will be sizing. If your a rifle shooter, and you go out an shoot 20 or 30 rounds and call it a day, the extra money for a Star may not be worth it. But if your a pistol shooter, and your shooting 200-500 rounds a week, than the choice is clear. Even if you start with a Lyman or RCBS, you will end up with a Star. I did, that's why I say skip the learning curve. Its not a luxury, its a necessity. Less time sizing, more time shooting.

By the way, I don't have a BMW, a Porche or any of those, I drive a second hand Volvo with 150,000 miles plus.

Rangerone
08-19-2006, 05:08 PM
I sold my RCBS and purchased the SAECO... To my hand it was a smoother operating machine and I have no more problems with the lube oozing out, despite my best efforts to fix the RCBS. The initial cost is greater, however it is a press for life and I enjoy using it.

I watched Midway for the ocassional discount and I saved quite a bit on the whole rig... I bought a sizer die and top punch for everything at once.

StarMetal
08-19-2006, 07:06 PM
A Volvo...that explains it. [smilie=1:

Joe

44woody
08-19-2006, 07:34 PM
I have owned a rcbs lam2 but I could not get the pressure right 99% of the time I had lube on the bottom of the bullets I spent alot of time cleaning it off not trying to cut down rcbs equiptment I will have to say that there warenty is out standing I only know of one other co that gives the kind of warenty that rcbs does and that is Dillon but to make a long story short I ended up saleing the rcbs and buying a star no more lube on the base of my bullets and I do belive that the star is faster and easyer to opprate and like others have said they cost more than the rest of the lubers on the market but I do belive they are worth every penny you will spend on them :castmine: 44Woody

steveb
08-19-2006, 08:09 PM
Steveb, thanks for the pictures. That RCBS does look well made. I take it you use a soft lube since that lubrisizer doesn't have a heater? But then Lyman seems to be the only one that sells a heater.

Bruce, I'm using homemade Felix lube and I THINK the lyman heaters will work with the RCBS?? Anyone? I havent had this one but a couple months but I cant imagine having to buy something else. Good Luck!

rbwillnj
08-19-2006, 11:01 PM
Yea, go ahead and buy a Lyman, and while your at get a Yugo

Poygan
08-20-2006, 10:34 AM
I have the RCBS LAM II and am happy with it. Can't compare it to the Lyman but, even if they were similar units, I'd go with the RCBS because of their repair policy.
But if price isn't a significant issue, go with the SAECO sizer.

I bought a heater from Midway that I believe was their product. Works well and I usually have to use it except during the summer.

BruceB
08-20-2006, 11:18 AM
A few points here:

-I've been using Lymans since I bought a new #45 back in the '60s. Currently I'm running two 450s, mostly because I have two different lubes in use. I have absolutely no reason for, or intention of, changing to any other maker's machine.

- I DO have reasons NOT to change. For one thing, my production with the Lyman lubesizers was ample to keep TWO active Bullseye shooters well-supplied with boolits, and nowadays also easily supply my latter-day 'amour' with cast boolits in autoloading rifles, PLUS many, many rounds of handgun ammo. I believe I have over 5000 rounds of assorted pistol/revolver ammo on hand, all with cast boolits.

- As in high-speed casting, study your hand motions for efficient operation, and you will soon see improvements in production rates. My preference is to handle each bullet as few times as possible, so in lube-sizing I run a boolit down into the sizer, tweak the pressure screw, and inspect the next bullet.....this allows enough time for the grooves to fill nicely on the bullet in the die. I don't inspect bullets until it's time to lube and size them.

-Anyone who starts with a Lyman/RCBS sizer will soon have an assortment of dies which fit those machines, and in my case I can't see any reason to abandon my investment in a couple dozen sizing dies just to adopt a different machine. Note that Star and SAECO dies don't fit anyone else's machinery.... they are brand-specific.

-Here we have a gent who complains that Lyman dies have too many holes. Au contraire, mon ami....those many and varied holes offer flexibility, and also Lyman dies are smoother in operation than RCBS dies. The best way to avoid lube in the wrong places is careful depth adjustment, followed by MINIMAL use of the pressure screw. Turn it just a tad for each bullet in turn, just enough to lube that one bullet, and do not try to maintain a pressure head to allow lubing of more than one bullet.

Pride in one's equipment is just fine, but to characterize Lymans as "Yugos" because one prefers a Star or Saeco misses the mark entirely. Rather, I'd say the Lymans are more like a GMC or F250 pickup......at the end of the day (and the DECADES), they are still working, and working very well.

There'll be no Star or SAECO on my bench. No need, and no desire.

carpetman
08-20-2006, 11:35 AM
I started with a Lyman and found too good a deal on an RCBS to turn down. I'd be hard pressed to say there is much difference in the two,except the RCBS does seem to hold pressure better---that and definitly the RCBS warranty/customer service better than Lyman. I too adapted my toggle handle to a ratchet system and RCBS supplied the parts---free.

hpdrifter
08-20-2006, 01:09 PM
BruceB, not to be arguing with ya, but I tried for 3 one hour sessions+ to make do with the multihole dies. To no avail. I plugged up one set of holes with lead shot and about 5 minutes later, viola!

The 452 die had two sets of holes and me bullet had one lube groove and the base ring was thinner than the space between outside edge to inside edge of holes and the upper ring condition was about the same. Then I bought a 459 RCBS, I think, and it had 1 set of holes for 3 lube grooves . It worked fine, but the reversal of the amount of holes to the design expectations of bullets to be used with them, left me puzzled.

I asked, right here on this forum, if Lyman and RCBS, always used the one or two holes on these dies respectively, so I could reverse my initial purchase, but no one answered that question. It may have been reversed. I really don't remember, it's been a while back. Anyway, I got the problem resolved with a few pieces of shot, it is totally reversable, so I am happy with the machine. Reloaders and casters in particular, are people that like to do things themselves I believe. So, fixing a little problem such as this ain't no biggy.

But, yes that die gave me fits with the 45 colt single lube groove bullet with two sets of holes. I did all I could and all everyone on this forum suggested, i.e. lowered pressure, adjusted, adjusted, adjusted, no pressure and just barely apply pressure, etc. , etc. , ...Maybe if I had bought the other makers die with one hole, I'd never run into that problem.

If I can't adjust it in 3+ hours it's a problem anyway.

That's all I've got to say about that.

Like I said, I got no problem with the machine.

MGySgt
08-20-2006, 02:18 PM
Currently I have 2 Lyman's and an RCBS - bought 1 Lyman new and one used, RCBS was new.

Heaters are interchangeable between the 450 and the RCBS. The Lyman heater is even drilled and taped for the RCBS hole pattern.

If you use a soft lube (Lyman Super Moly) the 450's will leak out of the bottom of the resivour - how do you fix it? Cut a gasket for it. I took an old inner tube and cut a gasket for both of my Lymans. If you use a heater - get some non hardening form a gasket and put a thin coat on it before you mount it to the heater. Let cure and no more leaking from the bottom onto your bench.

I would not swap either my Lyman or RCBS for a SACEO or a Star - too many Sizer dies and they are no wheres as dear a price as the Stars.

Just my humble opinion.

Drew

omgb
08-20-2006, 02:47 PM
PM sent Bullshop

Possum
08-20-2006, 05:31 PM
I am using a Saeco and like iit. I have not used anything else so I can't compare them.

bmblong
08-20-2006, 07:53 PM
I'm leaning toward the RCBS especially since it seems the Lyman heater will work with it. I really like the interchangeability of the top punch\sizers. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Star lubrisizer not made anymore? I do like what everyone said about RCBS customer service. Anyone mess around with Thompson Bear Lube Cold\Hot lube. Supposedly they don't need a heater. How many bullets on average will one stick lube? I guess that is enough questions for now. I'm shooting tumble lubed 44Mag bullets at about 800-900fps. I would like to get a plain based bullet to about 1100-1200fps. I know this sounds funny but I also want a more professional looking cartridge when I'm done without cleaning the bullet with mineral spirits. Thanks.

9.3X62AL
08-20-2006, 08:47 PM
Due to large numbers of Lyman/RCBS dies already on hand, I think my next sizer will be the RCBS unit. I've had two of the Lymans, they've done good work and I have no complaints about them.

The ratchet handle might be a better idea in most cases, but with a few dies I have used I get a LOT of leakage between the die's inner wall and the "I" pin with even the least remaining pressure. This becomes more prevalent if you lap out .0005"-.001" in the die, and kinda extensive if you have a Stilwell .258 Lyman opened to .260". My fix was to do an RCBS imitation on the Lyman sizer by use of a box-end on the pressure screw--turning a little pressure after the boolit is levered down, then backing the pressure off as the boolit is raised out of the die. I think that was the rationale behind the RCBS system, although the hex-head design of the lyman allows a choice not offered by the RCBS.

trk
08-20-2006, 08:57 PM
I have been casting for about a year now. I want to step up from tumble lubing. What is the best lubrisizer to get? The Lyman 4500 receives very bad reviews on Midway USA. RCBS and Saeco get really good reviews but run 25 dollars more. Just looking for suggestions and am also wondering if it is worth buying one. Thanks.

I'm running two RCBS's now, so I haven't much use for the vintage Lyman 45 I used for a decade or two. Interested? It's yours for the postage. Pictures available. Send a PM. I'll get to responding later this week.

steveb
08-20-2006, 08:59 PM
Hats off to you trk! Mighty fine of you to offer that to him!:drinks:

KYCaster
08-20-2006, 10:26 PM
I have a Lyman 450 filled with Bullshop Speed Green lube and a Star filled with Thompson's Blue Angel. The BSSG is soft, very tacky and flows well at room temp. The BA is a hard lube that melts at ~120* and is dry to the touch after it cools.

Today I lubed some PB boolits for a #4 MKI and some PB boolits for a Rossi 44-40. I don't have a die for the Star that's big enough for the SMLE so I sized them on the Lyman. The .44's were sized on the Star.

I plugged in the heater on the Star then went to the Lyman, changed the size die and top punch and started sizing. In a little while I had forty boolits sized and lubed. My fingers were sticky with lube. Some of the boolits have a bit of lube on the base and all of them have a bit of lube on the nose; some from the sizer, some from my fingers.

Then I went to the Star, changed the die and punch and added a stick of lube and started sizing. In less time than it took to size forty boolits on the Lyman, I had three hundred done on the Star. My fingers were relatively clean. The boolits had lube in the groove and nowhere else.

When I'm done loading the .303's, I'll have to wipe off the boolit. I'll have to wipe off the case cause I'll have lube on my fingers that transfers to the brass and I'll have to clean the lube out of the seating die.

When I'm done with the .44's, I'll.........well, I'll be done with the .44's.

I lucked into a deal and got fifteen dies and eight punches for the Lyman for less than one new Star die will cost. You don't often find used Star dies for sale. There is quite a difference in the cost of the machines.

If I had my druthers, I'd do everything with the Star, but I don't, so I don't. Both machines have their place. I do a lot of 'spearmintin with the .303 and some others, so short runs of different boolits on the Lyman isn't such a big deal, but when I want to crank out some volumn, the Star wins, hands down!

Jerry

P.S. Magma Engineering is now making the Star sizer.

D.Mack
08-21-2006, 01:04 AM
Just one thing I feel needs to be pointed out, I have a lyman 450 and a RCBS , and although they are similar in a number of ways, they are not completly interchangeable for size dies. The RCBS H&I dies seem to be a few thousands larger in diameter, and may not go into the lyman. Of the 8 RCBS dies I have, 3 are too large for the lyman, but all of the lymans fit into the RCBS. so if you get the Lyman stick to Lyman for the H&I dies. The nose punches are so similar I can't tell who made them. DM

bmblong
08-21-2006, 05:33 AM
trk,

I sent a PM to you. I hope it worked. Thanks.