PDA

View Full Version : hollow to solid?

sergeant69
07-01-2010, 10:46 PM
this is probably the stupidist post you'll ever read but here goes. is there anyway to make a hollow stick of lube (speed green) into a solid stick? i pulled the trigger on a star sizer and found out it only takes solid sticks. they are sending me a few sticks of "javalina" solid to get me going but in the meantime i have like 10 of the hollow. i thought of maybe melting some beeswax to fill in the hole. is the javalina any good?

littlejack
07-01-2010, 10:51 PM
You can either swap someone, or you can melt a couple of the hollow tubes you have and use it to fill the center holes of the rest of the hollow tubes to make solids.
Jack

runfiverun
07-01-2010, 10:55 PM
javelina is 50-50 their red is something else.
i'd just mash up the other stuff by hand into the appropriate diameter and stuff it in there.
actually thats what i do with the stuff i make, i scrape it out of the bowl and stuff it in the tube,
and let the ribbon come out the hole in the back.

Edubya
07-02-2010, 06:25 AM
I just melted three lube cylinders that I had. I have them in a glass measuring cup and when the Star needs lube I'll microwave the stuff amd pour some in.

EW

P.S. Don't try to use them as they are! The air in the cylinder will cause more headaches than you can believe. (Don't ask how I know this)

sergeant69
07-02-2010, 10:49 AM
thats scary. is the microwave in the house? what did it smell like in the house when you melted it? that WOULD be the best solution though. just melt and pour into the sizer reservoir.

crabo
07-02-2010, 10:51 AM
I take a knife and split the tube vertically into four quarters. That works well for me, no more air pops.

sergeant69
07-02-2010, 11:05 AM
you just quarter em and cram em? no melting?

wiljen
07-02-2010, 01:14 PM
I melt em either in the nuke or on a hot plate and pour em in my sizers. No need to go overboard with remaking sticks. You could even just put in a hollow one and then melt a second one and pour it in to fill all the gaps.

sergeant69
07-02-2010, 03:15 PM
ok, but we're back to the question of when you nuke it does it smoke and smell etc etc etc? if it just melts then we're GTG.

fredj338
07-02-2010, 03:23 PM
this is probably the stupidist post you'll ever read but here goes. is there anyway to make a hollow stick of lube (speed green) into a solid stick? i pulled the trigger on a star sizer and found out it only takes solid sticks. they are sending me a few sticks of "javalina" solid to get me going but in the meantime i have like 10 of the hollow. i thought of maybe melting some beeswax to fill in the hole. is the javalina any good?

There is no problem running hollow sticks in the Star, I do it all the time. You may get the occasional air bubbler inside, but it's easily manageable.

crabo
07-02-2010, 03:25 PM
ok, but we're back to the question of when you nuke it does it smoke and smell etc etc etc? if it just melts then we're GTG.

When I do it, I turn the heat to 6 or 7 instead of 10 and put it on for about 5 minutes. Don't heat it too fast. Smells like lube....

wiljen
07-02-2010, 07:12 PM
yeah, no smoke or heavy odor here either

runfiverun
07-02-2010, 08:45 PM
stoneware in the garage wave ,watch and just barely melt.
you'll figure out how long it takes soon enough.
don't use the one in the house you will spill the lube at some point.
a candle melter thingy works too, just takes a bit.

geargnasher
07-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Don't just throw it in the 'wave and turn it on high, you'll have a fire.

My 'wave doesn't have level controls, so I heat in 30-second bursts in a Pyrex measuring cup. 30 seconds on, 1 minute off to let the heat in the glass even out to the lube some. Half a dozen treatments and it's done.

How ever you heat it, just pour it in the reservoir, an inch or so at a time, allowing it to solidify and shrink before adding more, that way you won't have air trapped in the reservoir.

Gear

sergeant69
07-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Don't just throw it in the 'wave and turn it on high, you'll have a fire.

My 'wave doesn't have level controls, so I heat in 30-second bursts in a Pyrex measuring cup. 30 seconds on, 1 minute off to let the heat in the glass even out to the lube some. Half a dozen treatments and it's done.

How ever you heat it, just pour it in the reservoir, an inch or so at a time, allowing it to solidify and shrink before adding more, that way you won't have air trapped in the reservoir.

Gear0

what if i stick in (in the star resovoir) the hollow stick then pour in the melted lube in the hollows hole?

RobS
07-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Should work however if you are going to go through the trouble of melting the lube down.................I'd just melt it all and then pour it in.

sergeant69
07-03-2010, 11:16 PM
that too!

oldtoolsniper
07-07-2010, 02:57 PM
The thrift store is your friend. Just buy a cheap used coffee maker and toss all the filter stuff out, put the lube in the glass coffee pot (complete with nifty pour spout) and you have a lube heating device complete with storage container for unused lube. It won't boil water so it won't cook your lube. If you are really lucky you can get one with a timer so you can forget to turn it off and it will remember.

If you have a she and she objects to the smell just dump in some of the stinky stuff they add to candles and it will be like one of those oil warming stink pots the shes are fond of.

Think like a Grunt!

sergeant69
07-07-2010, 03:11 PM
The thrift store is your friend. Just buy a cheap used coffee maker and toss all the filter stuff out, put the lube in the glass coffee pot (complete with nifty pour spout) and you have a lube heating device complete with storage container for unused lube. It won't boil water so it won't cook your lube. If you are really lucky you can get one with a timer so you can forget to turn it off and it will remember.

If you have a she and she objects to the smell just dump in some of the stinky stuff they add to candles and it will be like one of those oil warming stink pots the shes are fond of.

Think like a Grunt!

THIS...i'm gonna do. thanks!

fredj338
07-09-2010, 02:38 AM

Think like a Grunt!

Nice idea! I like my 1qt crock too. Just put the lid on & put it away.
Still guys, you can use hollow sticks in the Star w/ no problems. Way too much work trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Doby45
07-09-2010, 01:12 PM
I got one of those little coffee pots that are all one piece, as in the burner is part of the pot. But, I think mine is no good it will heat up for like 3 minutes and then clicks off. So it will just get the lube melted and then it will allow it to solidify. I think I need to go lookin for another coffee pot. This one cost me a whole $2.38..