PDA

View Full Version : .410 Lyman slug mould question

Newtire
07-01-2010, 08:58 PM
I just picked up a .410 slug mould and have cast up a bunch of slugs now.

My question is, I made these out of pure lead and was wondering if I could shoot them out of a full choked Mossberg like I do the normal factory slugs.

These mic out at .385 and just fall thru the bore. They weigh around 140 grains each. I already got some load info to the tune of 20-23 grains of IMR 4227. I got the Precision Reloading roll crimp tool and it makes an OK roll crimp.

Any help out there?

357maximum
07-01-2010, 10:11 PM
I have done it with an even fatter custom pure lead slug and it worked ok for me.

JUST REMEMBER ONE THING: the old lyman info is wrong and it has been regurgitated as wrong many times. The old info listed the slug as 238 grains and as you well know it is only 138 frains. I used lilgun on mine with some cardwads but I forget the charge as that project was awhile ago.

Newtire
07-01-2010, 10:41 PM
thanks Michael!

I heard that some of you guys got ahold of a custom 410 slug mould. Makes me want to buy one of those Mossberg's with the adjustable chokes. I actually have a little Savage 24 that will really shoot Remington slugs and it has a full choke barrel. Now some wouldn't believe that because of what they've read but it really worked for me. I think I'll give that thing a try this weekend.
Thanks again,
Newtire

Newtire
07-04-2010, 10:25 PM
Well....These slugs would certainly make a fierce close range defense load! I found remains of them in the berm at the 50 yd line and noticed several multiple strikes upon firing them. The load was 21 grains IMR 4227 and the 138 grain slug cast out of pure lead. I used a .125 card over the powder, followed by a 1/2" fiber and a 1/2" felt wad and topped with another .125 card under the slug. I had some lubed with LLA and some without. They were loaded into new 3" Cheddite cases. So, no joy there. I figure that the force on the slug was too much. I wanted them to be able to go thru the full choke so pure lead seemed to be the way to go. The info I got says that Lyman recommended a harder alloy but then what about the choke? Might be a lost cause!

357maximum
07-05-2010, 02:19 AM
I used soft range scrap that was about 8bhn...do not give up yet. Whats your choke measure? I actually had my best accuracy with a full choke and I never blew the end of the barrel................but be careful anyway eh.

Newtire
07-06-2010, 08:34 AM
Thanks again Michael for the info.

It appears that the bores on both my Savage 24 and the little Mossberg bolt gun are both at .390".

According to a chart I looked at, http://www.shotgunreport.com/TechTech/TechnoidArchive/18-Sep-06.pdf, this would about jibe with my measurements for full choke since the constriction says .019"=full choke on a .410".

I read of a guy taping the outside of the slug with teflon tape to bring it closer to bore diameter. ?? I appreciate the help since there's not much out there as you probably already know!