PDA

View Full Version : Carnauba Red and some "funny boolits"

44man
08-19-2006, 08:50 AM
I shot my 45-70 BFR revolver from bags yesterday to compare my normal booits with some I cast with a pure lead nose. Most of you know from my posts that this gun will not group from bags for some reason but I was just wanting to see if the funny boolits would even hit the paper. They are funny because there is a parting line where the two leads meet. I kept the mould hot and had both pots as hot as they would go.
I used Lar's lube for the first time in this gun and there was no leading and it shot as good as I have ever done with it from bags.
What surprised me was that the funny boolits hit the same POI and shot tighter groups every time. Maybe I have to have a wrinkled nose on all of my boolits! A built it turbulator!
For the last shots on paper, I shot Creedmore and even though I was wiggling, I had them in 3/4" at 50 yd's.
I was very pleased with Lar's lube ---AGAIN!
I didn't save the target for a picture because as soon as I finished, my friends started shooting the steel plate down there and shredded my target.
I had to get in the game with my remaining boolits so I found a tin can to stand up in front of the plate. Shooting offhand with this cannon, it was easy to shred the can and any missed shots were still on the plate, missing the can by an inch or so. I even hit the can in the bottom when it was knocked down. It really flew up in the air. The plate is around 8" in diameter. I feel this is good because holding that much steel out there is like weight lifting after a while. Danged gun is HEAVY.

SharpsShooter
08-19-2006, 09:59 AM
Those BFR's sure seem to be shootin` machines when you do your part of course. I keep looking at em and can't decide if iI need a 45-70 handgun to go along with all the 45-70 rifles in the safe.

44man
08-19-2006, 01:01 PM
For pure fun and more accuracy then you think is possible, the BFR's are the way to go. I can't put down the .475 or 45-70! The other calibers just sit in the safe. I don't know when I shot my .44 or .45 last, I think it was for deer last year. Strange because it uses more powder and lead for the bigger guns and I am short of money. I just can't shoot as much.
I kill deer with all of them and can't see much difference, but the big guns are fun.

lar45
08-19-2006, 01:08 PM
They definatly are heavy. My shootin buddy just calls it the "5 pound gun". The best I've done with mine is around 1.4-1.5" at 50 yds with open sights. Does anyone know what twist the barrel is? How heavy/long of a bullet will it stabilize around 1200fps? With that long cylinder, maybe it should be fed some 900gn missles?
I think I'm going to start playing with cutting cherries with the CNC lathe and see if I can make a mold that looks halfway decent.

Here's a thought, what about makeing a spacer to on the top of the mold? it could be 1/4" or more to put a big shank on the base of the bullet? maybe hold it on with a couple of 8-40 screws?
IT's a good thing that Lee single cavities are soo cheap.

I'll check back into reality now.

bisley45
08-19-2006, 01:14 PM
yep lars lube is gooood stuff I will order more

44man
08-19-2006, 01:18 PM
Lar, I have tried heavy boolits and bullets in the 45-70 but it prefers right around 300 gr's. I have not measured the twist rate. My boolits are 317 and 330 gr's. LBT style. For jacketed, 4198 works, but for lead, 4759 seems to be best. I made a mould for about a 378 gr boolit. I think I have some left. I also have a mould for a little heavier boolit but have to cast some. If you want some to try. E mail me. Might take a while until I can cast.
I also have some 500 gr round nose gov't boolits and 530 gr boolits. Let me know what you want.