PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with these rounds

tek4260
07-01-2010, 02:24 PM

txbirdman
07-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Maybe they were hoping for an explosion when it made contact with bone.

44man
07-01-2010, 03:39 PM
Explosive HP---for what?
The rest of the brass looks pretty bad and might have been stored in humid conditions. If you shoot that stuff, make sure every boolit leaves the barrel.

anachronism
07-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Ho hum, the old exploding bullet trick. It does work, but makes a nervous wreck out of you when you handle them. Shoot it into the mud some distance away at the creek. You'll get a large shallow crater if the primers still good. I outgrew this nonsense decades ago. You're between a rock and a hard place with that. If it at least fires safely, you're okay. If it squibs and stick in the barrel, how will you get it out? Certainly not with a rod and a hammer.

44man
07-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Ho hum, the old exploding bullet trick. It does work, but makes a nervous wreck out of you when you handle them. Shoot it into the mud some distance away at the creek. You'll get a large shallow crater if the primers still good. I outgrew this nonsense decades ago. You're between a rock and a hard place with that. If it at least fires safely, you're okay. If it squibs and stick in the barrel, how will you get it out? Certainly not with a rod and a hammer.
Well said---scary isn't it?

tek4260
07-01-2010, 04:26 PM

Edubya
07-01-2010, 04:58 PM
I think that I'd just soak it in a cap full of WD40 for a week, then dispose of it as you will.

EW

sagacious
07-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Well they will all get pulled and smelted except the redneck james bond special. I figure it will be safe at the bottom of the pond by the house. I'd hate to imagine what they are loaded with. Seems like the kind of person who would do that trick might also try to use max loads as a starting point :)
Ahhhh... good sense is like a breath of fresh air.

376Steyr
07-01-2010, 10:40 PM
When a buddy of mine bought a used .338 Win Mag, the seller threw in a box of his "special" handloads. When the first shot out of the box locked the rifle up tight, my buddy, who doesn't handload, passed the box on to me. Breaking them down, I found 250 grain roundnoses seated over 57.3 to 60.0 grains of unknown stick powder. Looking through my collection of loading manuals, I could only find one load listed using 60 grains of powder as a maximum. Too bad it was for a 200 grain spitzer.[smilie=1: