PDA

View Full Version : Star top punch thread size

gutshot_again
05-10-2005, 06:22 PM
I thought I'd save myself a couple bucks and make a couple flat punchs for the star lube sizer. However, I can't find the proper bolt to start with, and don't have a means to thread my own. Can someone tell me what the thread is so perhaps I can order online? TIA

slughammer
05-10-2005, 07:10 PM
I thought I'd save myself a couple bucks and make a couple flat punchs for the star lube sizer. However, I can't find the proper bolt to start with, and don't have a means to thread my own. Can someone tell me what the thread is so perhaps I can order online? TIA

I measured mine as 1/2-28 UNEF. Couldn't find a bolt either, so I just turned it down to .34 and use the same one on the base of anything 38-45 cal. If you find a source of bolts, let us know.

Lee W
05-10-2005, 07:31 PM
I found a nut. http://www.mcmaster.com/itm/find.ASP?tab=find&context=psrchDtlLink&fasttrack=False&searchstring=95621A500

Give me time.

Lee W
05-10-2005, 07:42 PM
This is a tough one.
http://www.threadcheck.com/thread_plug_gages.htm
This is all I found so far.

45 2.1
05-10-2005, 08:01 PM
I tried ordering some threaded rod to make top punches for the Star when I had one and couldn't get any.

Lee W
05-11-2005, 07:53 AM
I guess you could email any one of these places.
http://www.nfda-fastener.org/links/mbrlnkall.asp
Let us know what you find. I would buy some too.

castalott
05-11-2005, 08:25 AM
Hi Alll!

I bought a punch for my star a few months ago.... I finally needed it a few days ago and it will only screw in 1/2 way. The threads and OD are correct but the pitch is wrong....seems like it was Magma I got it from...

Willbird
05-11-2005, 09:06 AM
I will make any number of soft base punches for a fair price......if we make them of O-1 if anybody gets froggy they can harden it themselves with a propane torch.

Bill

rbwillnj
05-12-2005, 01:35 AM
I have purchased at least half a dozen top punches from Magma, I have never had a problem.

I have one punch for each die. I also have a nut for each top punch which I drill and tap for a set screw so that I can maintain the proper depth for each die/top punch combination. At $12.50 each, is it really worth finding a replacement?

gutshot_again
05-12-2005, 01:41 PM
Well, I thought if I could buy a bolt for less than a couple bucks it would make it worth my time as I need 4 or 5. I believe Stilwell sells them $10 a piece and for the sake of sanity should just go that route - but that's no fun.

Thank you Bill for the kind offer but I'd like to try another approach first. Probaly end up costing me 5 times what it would if I just bought it upfront - at least that's how I usually work it.

Castalot - have you thought about contacting Magma about it? Bet they would make it right.

Slughammer, I currently use one flat nose punch for everything from 9mm up, but I ran into a "couldn't pass it up deal" of star dies for just about everything from 22 up to and including 8mm. I figured one punch should be able to handle a couple different calibers - but I don't think pushing a 45 caliber rifle bullet with a punch for a 22 through the sizing die would work very well.

I do appreciate the responses, but I'm giving up on the whole punch and try a different tack. Thanks for letting me know it is a 1/2 x 28 as I had no means to measure it myself. I couldn't find anything on line either, without going custom and paying thru the nose.

Can't remember what you call it, but the part that you screw the die extraction tool into is threaded. Naturaly it's a smaller hole, but it looks like it might be a more common thread/pitch. I'll take it down the to the local hardware store tomorrow and see if it's a more common bolt. If I can get a proper size/thread, I'll just get a few bolts that fit it and go at it. It should work. I'll be playing it by ear, but if anyone is interested will let you know. Again, thanks for the assistance.

slughammer
05-12-2005, 02:06 PM
At $12.50 each, is it really worth finding a replacement?

Yes, absolutely; yes it's worth it!

Lee W
05-12-2005, 02:22 PM
I have the purchaser at work asking around. Our fastner supplier is having a hard time finding that size. I will keep you posted.

gutshot_again
05-12-2005, 03:44 PM
Please do keep me posted. Thank you.

I have the purchaser at work asking around. Our fastner supplier is having a hard time finding that size. I will keep you posted.

Ross
05-13-2005, 07:53 PM
I've always groused about the proprietary threads on the Star machines and have never encountered all-thread to suit. Single point thread cutting is a fiddly task, at best, for me and my ancient South Bend.
Is it possible that the primary business of the old Star plant would provide a clue to the odd threads? They made valves, IIRC, and perhaps there would be a source for taps/dies on that direction.
The draw rod and the top punches might well be made from phosphor bronze or brass, I suppose.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

Char-Gar
05-19-2005, 12:31 PM
Guys..Why could not a fellow wanting such as is the subject of this thread (man..I have watched to many episodes of Deadwood) buy a hand tap and die and do the deed that way. Thread a 1/2 rod 1/2-28 and cut and shape the end as he likes. Now you take a smaller nut, drill it out and tap it 1/2-28. This nut could be used as a jam nut to hold the nose punch in place. The nut could be put on with epoxy and it would not have to be adjusted each time.

I realize 1/2-28 is an odball, but a quick search shows an outfit in the UK (www.tracytools.com) selling such. There may be others on this side of the pond.

why could this not work?

rbwillnj
05-19-2005, 04:18 PM
McMaster Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/ has 1/2" 28 threading dies, but they are $55 each. You would have to need at least a half dozen top punches to justify that. Magma sells the top punches for $12.50 each, and the nuts for a couple of bucks each.

I would also like a 5/8-27 which is used on Star Reloader Powder Magazines. I keep checking the flea markets and ebay for these very fine thread dies and taps, but have never found one.

StarMetal
05-19-2005, 04:51 PM
You fellows made me think. Yeah a rarity, but this thread size is right under your noses!! Know what for? Suppressors, like on an AR15. Okay go here and get one for a hell of alot cheaper then McCarrs. Right at a gunsmith supply place...Brownells, yeah!

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=638&title=AR-15%2fM16+FLASH+SUPPRESSOR+TAP+%26+DIE

Joe

kenjuudo
05-19-2005, 08:10 PM
Travers Tool has 1" dies in this thread for 9.50... Item #17-032-282. Taps are 13.65 Item #14-700-310.

https://www.travers.com/

jim

Willbird
05-19-2005, 09:07 PM
And I will bet you mscdirect.com has them too.

Bill

Iron River Red
05-24-2005, 10:13 AM
It seems that most people value their time, true? If you are one of those like me, simply buy the punches you will need and be done with it.

If your are like the gentleman that wants to set up a punch for every die, then maybe I could understand wanting to save a few coins. If not, you can get 4 or 5 punches that will do almost 100% of the die combinations. If you are sizing and seating gas checks I guess I can understand that need for more also.

The folks at Magma are in business to supply us with the equipment we need to support our hobbies and businesses. I will continue to buy their punches and replacement parts when necessary to keep the integrity of my equipment sound and to use my extra time for producing bullets rather than reinventing the wheel.

Some of you guys may have already wasted more of your time on this discussion and the effort looking for a cheap way out than the punch would have cost...

But this is only my 2 cents worth...

[smilie=f:

slughammer
05-24-2005, 02:00 PM
Some of you guys may have already wasted more of your time on this discussion and the effort looking for a cheap way out than the punch would have cost...
[smilie=f:

Doing things for yourself is better than just paying somebody else.

I'v got a lathe that does not cut threads, and if this was a 1/2-20 thread I'd walk out to the garage and find a bolt (or several) to match and make the punches I want. The unique UNEF 1/2-28 thread is what makes this a challenge.

Of course I could just buy jacketed bullets and watch TV, but I don't find either very stimulating to the brain. Thinking is what keeps the brain in shape...

Lee W
05-24-2005, 03:08 PM
slughammer,
I spent four hours making a thermostat for my luber. I could have purchased for $100.
What fun would that have been?

Iron River Red
05-25-2005, 04:14 PM
Ok. I have to conceede the point. I do things all the time simply because it becomes a challenge or a matter of principle.

Ask me when the last time I shopped at Walmart was...

Speaking of a challenge for fun, has any of you guys ever reassembled a Crossman .22 air rifle lately?

I have one in a box I took apart 23 years ago and still haven't got it back together. Now, i will abso-tively posi-lutely will not throw the piece of **** away!

[smilie=f: