PDA

View Full Version : lyman or RCBS sizers??

chas8008
07-01-2010, 09:40 AM
I have a Lube-a-matic 2.

I was told it can take ether, I am just wandering why the RCBS is $10 more..

Thanks

cheese1566
07-01-2010, 09:50 AM
Because it is RCBS...

Lymans work just fine in my older RCBS Lube-Matic. I have never bought new sizer dies, but if I were, I would go Lyman just because of the cost. (Unless of course their workmanship has dwindled the last couple years.) All of my sizers have been second hand from the selling section.

Not to knock RCBS stuff as it is fine and customer service down the road is superb. :cool:

chas8008
07-01-2010, 12:00 PM
thanks

Shiloh
07-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Lyman is all I have. I have used both, and don't see any difference that justifies the additional $10. Just my opinion.

Shiloh

bbailey7821
07-01-2010, 07:42 PM
I use Lyman, too! Not sure why the RCBS charges more...

1Shirt
07-01-2010, 07:52 PM
I have both, like both, but preference for quality plus gurantee is for the RCBS!
1Shirt!:coffee:

fryboy
07-01-2010, 08:38 PM
hmmmm which model of which ? the newest stuff ? with the exception of the heater hole in the 4500 ........ they both work about the same ....tho i do like some features of each ,as for older stuff ...hmmm chevy/ford ??? the rcbs has that warranty thing going ...is it worth the lil extra ? only if u need it .....but my personal fav is the ideal #45 call me crazy i just think that for my use it's easier to use and has a lil extra room for my fat fingers ( perhaps imagined but perceptions count immensely in personal opinions and satisfaction )
as for sizer dies ..love the lyman's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IMHO the finish is much smoother and it has 8 lube holes as opposed to 2 , some older ones had 16 ,one i have is staggered rows so there's basically a hole at every height usuable ,the rcbs has 4, i have both some were new and some wernt,i like to polish the outside of the dies ,perhaps i'm mistaken but it seems to make it easier to wipe of the lube [shrugz] umm so does heat

yarro
07-04-2010, 10:19 PM
I have two Lyman 450s and they work nice. Have used someone else's RCBS and did not think it any better than the Lyman. My Star works great, just more involved in setting up and dies were more money before I got my lathe and mill. I am slowly making a die for each mold. I inhereted my Star otherwise I probably wouldn't have one due to the cost.

-yarro

07-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Most of my dies are used and of both brands, and the few new are Lyman. Can't imagine wearing out a die or breaking it, to justify RCBS's higher price and warranty. Lyman's many holes are a definite advantage, and their smooth exterior finish makes it easy to remove the lube, after use.