PDA

View Full Version : Home spun lube ?

Tedly
06-30-2010, 10:04 PM
Is there a recipe for home made lube that I can use to dip or pan lube 8mm Mauser? I don't have correct sizer dies so I've found that shooting as cast with hand applied gas check works OK... but I need to get a recipe made up of things I can get at the grocery/auto parts/dollar store so I can get these loads assembled and on the line by this Saturday. Been using Lyman stick lube melted down but I'm almost out and this is going backwards...I would just as soon have a pan or dip instead ...Thanks...Tedly

runfiverun
06-30-2010, 11:16 PM
357 max's lube takes micro parrafin or bens if you got b-wax even felix's.
there's also recluses's 45/45/10 lube if you have alox around.
if no b-wax,or other stuff.
some scented candles a couple of regular candle stubbs and jpw will get you by if not going much over 1700.
throw the rest of your lyman lube in too.
i have used 3 parts jpw to 1 b-wax and tumble lubed before and bet the candle wax would suffice in a pinch.
lube is really a lube [s] a carrier and sometimes a binder.

Tedly
07-01-2010, 12:45 AM
What is JPW?

buckbeans
07-01-2010, 02:20 AM
johnson's paste wax
get it at ace, home depot or lowes

mdi
07-01-2010, 11:21 AM
An easy to make lube is Paraffin, Vaseline, and a touch of STP. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=26524

Moonie
07-01-2010, 12:06 PM
Good old Darr lube, it works well for low to moderate velocity but it is smokey (paraffin, vaseline, stp). I've used it for 20 years, moving on to other things.

runfiverun
07-01-2010, 11:14 PM
jpw is solvents parrafin and carnuba.
a little [tbspoon or so] atf wouldn't hurt either.
vaseline is okay to soften up parrafin based lubes also, micro parrafin is best for a permanent recipe, but a right now type lube is what you got kickin around.

geargnasher
07-01-2010, 11:31 PM
If you need it by Saturday, use Glen Fryxell's favorite, 50/50 beeswax and molybdenum wheel bearing grease. I think he lists his brand preference somewhere, but I may be wrong. I've used it before just using the cheap, translucent dishwater colored lithium soap grease from the auto parts store and it worked well for pistol. If I had multiple lubrisizers set up one of them would be filled with Mr. Fryxell's formula and have a .452" die welded in permanently.

Gear