PDA

View Full Version : OOB Content ?

Harter66
06-30-2010, 10:18 AM
I have gobs of lead shot in sizes from 8-2 all of which are 3-5% antimony. Now I have a line on probably a ton or 2 of burm OOB for my time (maybe upwards of 10k#) . I've looked around here some , is standard factory OO really just dead soft ? The last 15 years of acumulation is Winchester commercial the 15-20 before that are probably GI. Not sure Id put in the time and mileage for it if its likely to be plain lead ,yes I would, I'd be more motivated if it were likely to be alloyed though.

Greg5278
06-30-2010, 10:43 AM
It's probably 1-2% antimony, with some of the stuff being copper or nickel plated. It might Heat treat into a tough bullet. Add some tin, and it should be almost WW alloy.
Greg

Baron von Trollwhack
06-30-2010, 11:43 AM
In the past, common lead buckshot was nearly pure. For the last 15 years or so, with great innovations in buckshot technology, buffers, sleeves, shotcups and shotgun magnumitis, it is very hard to find lead buckshot, but alloyed is common. There was a time when I could breakdown buckshot loads in shotgun shells for the RB for my small caliber muzzleloaders cheaper than buying a box of RB. BvT

lwknight
06-30-2010, 01:46 PM
That sounds like a great deal. Even if you have to mine the burm and melt the shot.
Just hold the lead for a few months and likely you will be able to get over $1.00 per pound when lead prices go up again.
I believe that the next time lead goes up , it will set new records.

Freightman
06-30-2010, 02:47 PM
That sounds like a great deal. Even if you have to mine the burm and melt the shot.
Just hold the lead for a few months and likely you will be able to get over $1.00 per pound when lead prices go up again.
I believe that the next time lead goes up , it will set new records.
Think I will get to mining if this come to pass.

Harter66
06-30-2010, 04:15 PM
Thanks guys . Its kind of a perk working on an depot with an off limits to the public training range. They've been doing shotgun training for at least 30 years on 2 back stops times at least 300 year times 1.25 oz ......... ok its only 700# but there are 8 more lanes of 9mm ............ at least 6000 rds times 30 years ........maybe not such a good haul afterall that's only 160# of soft core lead.

Oh well...free is free. Labor is cheap if you're doing for yourself.

jsizemore
07-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Most of the commercial Buck we can buy is listed as "cold swaged". The ones I've recovered from factory shells all appear to be dead soft.