PDA

View Full Version : Extended Primer catcher for dillon 550B

coleman
06-30-2010, 03:46 AM
I got tierd of having primers not getting in the primer catcher on my 550B and ending up on the floor. After looking at it for awhile thier was room to make a extension to fit on the primer catcher. Got bored at work one night found a piece of aluminum, got on the bridgeport and started milling away to make it fit and several days to take it home to see where i needed to take more aluminum off, I finally got it done. It isnt the best looking thing it has a few minor mill marks in it but who cares it works like a champ. After more then 2000 cases reloaded not a one on the floor. You do have to raise the ram up to get it off the press. Just thought I would share this with you. Coleman

Lloyd Smale
06-30-2010, 05:32 AM
only time i get that problem is when the shoot flap sticks or if my sizing die doesnt have the decapping pin set deep enough. If its set to just barely punch out the primer sometimes they will go flying. That been said i do like hornadys way of dealing with spent primers better then dillons.

Calamity Jake
06-30-2010, 08:45 AM
If I posted a pic of my fix for that problem, you'ed just get mad!!!! :mad::mad:

A 1" strip of scotch tape!!! :bigsmyl2: :redneck:

coleman
07-01-2010, 01:11 AM
Lloyd, I would watch the primers hit the top of the primer catcher and bounce off somtimes into the catcher and others ontothe floor.
Calamity, I would love to see a pic. Alot of times at work i get very bored and i get tired of twitling my thumbs, so i bring in my home projects, that i dont have time to do in my own shop. Being a 3rd shift machine shop supervisor for a med size manufacturing facility does have it privleges, it gave me something to do that week.
Thanks Coleman

Johnch
07-01-2010, 09:03 PM
I duct taped part of a Dixi cup on my 550 years ago

Not nearly as nice looking as yours

But it works

John

duckndawg
07-01-2010, 09:44 PM
I took my primer catcher off my square deal and use a 1lb plastic coffee can cut down to fit below the press. But I sure like yours better.

Fugowii
07-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Want to make me one? Looks good to me!

ph4570
07-02-2010, 09:55 AM
That looks very nice. I tape a small stip of aluminum flashing to the press side of the prime cup -- works for me. But yours looks much better!

coleman
07-08-2010, 05:24 AM
Thanks for the comments.
Fugowii, I wouldnt mind making you one but i dont think it would be worth the cost.
Coleman

mike in co
07-08-2010, 09:49 PM
ever consider fixing the problem, rather than attacking the symptom ??

sounds like a "door" movement issue....the part that swings open in shut that the primer drops into.