PDA

View Full Version : I need a little help please

Handloader
06-29-2010, 11:19 PM
Hello everyone I have just started my Machine Tool Tech class at the local college and we are allowed to make anything other than weapons and gun "STUFF" whatever that may be. That kind of kicked me in the gut and my plans were about shot when blue printing a part the instructor noticed my Camp Perry shirt and we struck it up about the national matches and turns out he is a gun nu[smilie=w:t so I spoke with him about the dies and he approved:bigsmyl2:.

So here is what I want to make. I would like to make a set of swage dies that use 22 RF cases to make 223 bullets. I will warn you again I do not have a clue it all looks the same to me now anyway. So I would like to ask you master swaggers to lend me a hand in the following questions

1. What are the dies required (could I get there names and possibly dimensions)
2. If anyone could supply me with the dimensions of the dies I would be most grateful
3. Any advice you have on material or if you have made this same thing please throw in your thoughts

GOD BLESS YOU ALL

Thank you

BT Sniper
06-30-2010, 12:18 AM
Glad the instructor is a gun nut. do a search for the metal to use, it has certainly been discused here before. Also check corbin's sight, he has a lot of info and specs there. I don't actually have much in the way of 223 but can say that it will certainly be fun and completely possible. I'm going to bore out a piece of 7/8th all thread and try inserting drill bushings for sizing dies. Probably to easy though for a class project. The answers to your questions are all here somwhare I'm sure. Have fun in class and keep us posted as to your progress. Wish I would have taken a class like this way back when.

BT

ANeat
06-30-2010, 09:00 AM
What part of KY are you in there Handloader. If youre North you may be close enough to me. Bring your mics and get a first hand look ;)

ANeat
06-30-2010, 09:02 AM
Oh, here is a great thread on doing much of what youre asking.

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=75201