PDA

View Full Version : BTs 40/44 rig

buck1
06-29-2010, 05:37 PM
Well its been a few months now since I got my 40 to 44 die and ejector from BT.
The only trouble I have had was from some of MY cast cores being a bit light and not getting compleete fill out on my boolits with light cores, Well duh! If I dont put enugh lead in its not going to be filled up. BUT A pice or 3 of shot fixes it right up. That means I can use all my cores even the warm up culls to make great boolits!
Sound too good to be true? Not this time! Thanks BT!!! :drinks:

BT Sniper
06-30-2010, 12:27 AM
Any time! Just glad I could help out.

I got into swaging just before the new government took over. When the shortages hit I was sure glad I could make my own. Made and documented over 10 thousand 44 cal bullets that first year and didn't even try that hard really.

Think my next offering may be a simple specific mold for these 44 cal from 40 S&W bullets. One that falls in and fills the case without to big of HP. Probably around the 260 grain range.

Thanks for all the support. I suppose these tools and bullets they make speak for themself's. Do pass it on, it is sure fun to see the confused looks of evyone when you show them these bullets:) Have fun with them and good shooting. Keep us posted.

BT

Retired Navy
06-30-2010, 12:56 AM
Brian

Still haven't got to use my dies yet but, take them out everyday just to look at them. Hopefully by next week end I will be able to start the swaging process. One question though What do you recommend for lube, straight lanolin and mixed with caster oil?

Retired Navy
06-30-2010, 01:06 AM
"Think my next offering may be a simple specific mold for these 44 cal from 40 S&W bullets. One that falls in and fills the case without to big of HP. Probably around the 260 grain range."

How about a combination .44/.45 mold? Maybe 2 & 2 or 3 & 3 cavity design?

BT Sniper
06-30-2010, 03:16 AM
1lb ANHYDROUS lanolin to 2 oz castor oil to start with. I mixed 4 oz castor oil right from the start and thought it might have been a bit thin. It is just a matter of personal prefrence as I usderstand it and the castor just makes it a bit more workable. This will make a lifetime supply by the way and should be able to find it at decent price.

I would probably start small and easy with the mold. Probably just bore out a small 2 cavity Lee mold to the correct size. No reason we couldn't make it any size we wanted.

I remember that is one heck of a set up you got there. Do feel free to let me know if I can help out at all. Not to many people shooting the 45x40S&W bullets yet.

BT

buck1
06-30-2010, 09:13 PM
BT,
I still think a .45acp would make these....
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=701021

Also on your 40 to .452 set up is it a one step?
and do you have a core mold figured out fot it?
Thanks...Buck

BT Sniper
06-30-2010, 09:46 PM
Yep perfect canadent for the 45 ACP.

Only thing I have perfected in one step is the 40 and 44 calibers the rest requires two dies unless you guys can find jacket material that is allready as close as the 40 and 44 already is. Then I'm sure it is possible to do others in one step. So no the 40 to .452 is not a one step possibility. To expand that much really needs the core seat die to handel the pressure needed. Then again I have not tried it in one step. I am almost positive the results would not be as good as they are with two and may subject that swage die to more pressure then we would be comfortable with.

BT