PDA

View Full Version : triggers

Beekeeper
06-29-2010, 03:34 PM
I am looking for a tutorial on working on an old Mauser trigger.
I have a 95 mauser that must have a 16 lb trigger and would like to lessen the pull if I can.
It would help if said tutorial had pictures as a picture is worth 1000 words.
Anyone have any ideas.

Jim

fourarmed
06-29-2010, 04:43 PM
Roy Dunlap's book "Gunsmithing" has what you want, IIRC. Your library will have it or can get it.

David2011
06-29-2010, 05:42 PM
Dunlap's book has a lot of info onthe Mauser trigger. After reading it last year, I am glad I put a $49.00 Timney on my Mauser.

David

deltaenterprizes
06-29-2010, 06:13 PM
You can drill and tap a hole in the trigger to limit the amount of engagement with the sear by using a set screw. This is covered in "Hobby Gunsmithing" by Ralph T. Walker on page 280.

I prefer changing out the trigger to one with a Remington type safety and replacing the bolt shroud.

flounderman
06-29-2010, 10:09 PM
If you just want a lighter trigger, take the trigger off and polish the surfaces where the sear bears on the fireing pin. then take a little off the spring in the trigger. you can lighten it up considerably by working with this spring. if you take too much, stretch the spring out some. you can go to a different spring, just so you can slam the bolt and it stays cocked. as long as you leave it as a two stage, you should have plenty of engagement but slam the bolt hard a few times to be sure it will stay cocked after you have the gun back together. as long as the trigger moves freely, the weight of pull is determined by the stiffness of the spring and if the bearing surfaces are smooth. use a softer spring or shorten the one you have.

KCSO
06-30-2010, 09:27 AM
Take it to someone who know what they are doing or replace it with a Timmeny! This isn't a job for a rookie, your LIFE and the lives of your hunting partners depends on it. I had a doofus who tried the easy way and the first time he chambered a round the gun went off and a 308 hit between him and me. OOPS I guess I took off too much isn't a good thing to hear after an incident like that. You don't just drill and tap or grind or polish on a trigger without knowing EXACTLY what you are doing. Whatever a gunsmith charges will be worth it as then HIS butt is on the line if the trigger doesn't hold.

Beekeeper
06-30-2010, 04:51 PM
Thanks everyone for the info.
Will give it a try.

KSCO I would love to take it to a gunsmith but the only one I know of is a 2 hour round trip not counting time at the shop.
As I have about 1 hour a day to myself , when my wife is asleep in the afternoon , I simply do not have the time. thought I would give it a try and if I cannot get it have my Daughter stay with her mother while I made the trip.
She is more important to me than the rifle but I still need something to take my frustrations out on.

Jim