PDA

View Full Version : Kel Tec 9-11

krag35
06-28-2010, 11:53 PM
I found one for sale, thinking of upgrading (power wise ) from my 50's era Llama 380. Does anyone have one of these or have an opinion on them? It's small enough to fit in a pocket and the price seems right.
TIA
krag35

Thin Man
06-29-2010, 07:05 AM
krag35,
I bought a P-11 about 4 years ago, well used, on the thought that it is light, compact and stronger than a comparable size 380. Within the first year of use I found problems with aligning the barrel in the frame for re-assembly after cleaning the pistol and returned it to Kel-Tec. They replaced the frame (NO COST) and all has been well since that time. This pistol has digested every brand and style of ammo I have fed it with no malfunctions of any type. It has been completely reliable. I prefer the 9mm over 380 at the cost of slightly larger size, but that size increase is insignificant. The P-11 is lighter and more round-profiled than the Glock 26. For carry, I tighten my belt one notch tighter than comfortable, then tuck the pistol on the strong side inside the pants against the shirt. Pistol stays in place, and is so comfortable I often have to touch it to remind myself that I remembered to bring it along. Accuracy and group ability will vary with different loads and user ability. The long, heavy double-action trigger pull negates the need for a mechanical safety so long as the pistol is in your hands, not someone else's. While I usually prefer a revolver for casual strolls in the fields, the Kel-Tec is so completely comfortable it makes most travels into town. When I am not wearing a jacket or over-shirt, I place it on the left side, under a button shirt, for cross-draw. Go ahead and buy it, if it does not work out for you these are easy to sell.
Thin Man

imashooter2
06-29-2010, 07:27 AM
My P-11 has been utterly reliable with any ammunition I've fed it. The sights on mine are regulated for 124 grain ammo. 115's shoot low.

The long heavy trigger makes it difficult to shoot accurately (this from a guy that shoots DA revolver in USPSA, ICORE and steel competition).

Mine had some casting flash/mismatch inside the trigger guard that chewed my finger. A few strokes with one of Her Majesty's emery boards fixed that.

I carried it on the factory belt clip. I was concerned that it would move around a lot, but to my surprise it was very stable with a good belt. Just clipping it inside sweat pants, etc. was not nearly as secure.

Anyway, I carried it as my primary weapon for a couple of years before going to a J frame. No real shortcoming of the pistol drove that, I'm just a revolver kind of guy. Now it serves for late night door answering.

MtGun44
06-30-2010, 01:05 AM
Have and prefer the flatter design and far better trigger of the PF-9 Keltech.

Bill