PDA

View Full Version : my first 300 wsm,need advice

whitetailsniper
06-28-2010, 07:34 PM
i just traded with fellow member here,and got a browning 300 wsm rifle,,,it has a 23 inch barrel, with a 1 in 10 twist. im wondering on how bad the recoil will be,,, im planning on useing a nosler 165 grain ballistic tip bullet,for deer..any fellow members have or had this 300 wsm rifle? how was the recoil..and its performance?

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
06-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Well, I have the 300win mag and the WSM is a bit less or possibly equal to that cartridge, so and this is my personal feelings, use a premium quality bullet of the Nosler PARTITION or the premium bonded type bullets or expect the possibility of a lot of meat damage if you happen to get less then a good rib cage shot.

The Balistic tip is a great shoot'in bullet, but doesn't have the integraty of the premium bullets.

I use the 165 partition with good results.

Would have used the 180, but the previous rifle with an extremely bad barrel wouldn't shoot anything well and the 165 just shot best.

When that poor shooter left home, it left behind a bunch of 165 partitions so have just never seen a need to change.

The recoil does not bother me, but at the bench I use a sand bag or other type of recoil pad between me and the butt of the rifle, even with a 270 level rifle.

I enjoy shoot'in, and allowed a rifle to hurt me during testing one time and see no reason to have it happen again.

During some testing last Fall, I saw over 3300fps and 7/8" groups with the 165, but some leftover loads from the departed rifle shoot closer to the 3200fps mark.

On a 300win mag #1 I used the 200gr. Nosler Partition, but because of the shorter throat and magizine of the bolt guns, they would take up a lot of case/powder space.

Use a quality bullet and many times heavier is better as per meat distruction.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Phillip
06-29-2010, 02:00 AM
I shot one a while back and it did not kick that bad. It felt like a 30-06 to me. The 325WSM was about the same.

dk17hmr
06-29-2010, 08:44 AM
I cant really help you other that saying its a great little round.
Mine is in a 12 pound target rifle that I have pushed 800 yards with....still working on getting a 208gr A-Max load so I can go a bit further out.

180gr+ seems to shoot the best out of mine, 168gr A-Max did alright but 180gr Nosler Ballistic tips did better.

JJC
07-02-2010, 02:17 AM
I have fired a Kimber Montana. Light weight rifle recoil was not to bad off the bench, a little getting used to though. Nice round however im not a fan of magnum cartridges. Have seen two antelope shot with 150 ballistic tips. They worked well complete penetration some blood shot. With this cartridge/rifle you have to work the bolt like you mean it or it will hang up and not feed properly. I have shot a few antelope with the 300 win mag and the cheapest ammo I could buy, worked just as well. I don't know how big the deer are up there but bullet construction was a factor for us on antelope. Thats why I went to power point or core lokt. To stiff a bullet you thought you missed till it dropped a few yards later. Pointed soft points worked way better than premium it my case FWIW.

zac0419
07-02-2010, 03:10 AM
Had one and sold it. Mine really liked the Barnes TSX in 168. The recoil was stiff but not unmanageable, although sighting in felt more like work than play. In the end it was just more rifle than I needed. Some days I regret selling it..... but not range days.

Bret4207
07-02-2010, 07:56 AM
Want advice? Sell it and get a 6.5x55 or 7x57. Then recoil won't be your worry.

wiljen
07-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Want advice? Sell it and get a 6.5x55 or 7x57. Then recoil won't be your worry.

No need, just get some 4831 and 4895 and you can load it as hot as a 300 Win Mag or as light as a 300 Savage.

sourdough44
07-14-2010, 11:31 AM
I have an A-Bolt 23" barrel 300wsm. I handload it to modest levels so the recoil isn't bad, near a 30-06. I have done a few lighter loads with H-4895 & 150 grn bullets, these are less than your average 308 in recoil. My hunting loads for the B bear hunt were 180 grn partition & H-4350. That was my one shot bear hunt. I use smaller rifles for deer hunting, 243,308,284win. The 300wsm would be fine though too.

emorris
08-11-2010, 11:27 PM
My first question is are you planning to use factory ammo or handloads? I do not have a browning 300 wsm so I can not help very much in telling you how the recoil is. How heavy is the rifle and what is the weight and velocity of the bullet you are shooting. I did check and a 165gn bullet from a 300wsm and a 30-06 have similar velocity, therefore it should be similar to a 30-06 that weighs the same. The 300wsm is overbore so that may effect recoil. If you plan to load your own you can make a round that suits you. First off how far of a shot do you expect to shoot when hunting? Here in Tennessee we rarely have to take a shot over 150yrds. You can down load your round with a slightly faster powder like H4895, if your rifle will group good with it. The starting load shows a velocity of 2810 (which is in line with a 30-06). You could also start with a lighter bullet. My 130gn from a 270 have not failed me yet. I have jummped off the magnum band wagon. i do admit it does seem pleaseing to have a heavy magnum round that will take all of north American game including the elusive volkswagon beetle, but using it only for deer I have to scratch my head. Being abled to make a well placed shot is the only ethical way to hunt. I am not downsizing the use of a magnum round nor anybody's choise in using it. I have just found out that I can practice more with a gun that I can feel my shoulder after a few rounds at the range. I have rambled enough so in closing if you are using factory ammo you are limited in having to deal with the recoil, but if you are loading you can always adjust the load down with the right powder and bullet.

ammohead
08-11-2010, 11:37 PM
Don't know how or why you came upon a 300 WSM. Could just be for fun. But I am with Bret. Guys that need a magnum to hunt deer drive really big trucks.

ammohead

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
08-12-2010, 12:31 AM
Big trucks and mags. don't really go together in all cases.

I have for years, hunted in areas with extended range posibilities, or as now an area where the elk season over laps with deer and bear and the posibility of extended range.

For that reason, I see no reason to use multipal rifles during the season, rather choosing one which will take care of all posibilities.

And, I have never had a big truck and it is too late in life to start now.

Having hunted since the 60s with my own hand loads, I figured there was one thing more I could do along those lines while I am still able to hunt, and that was hunt with my own cast boolits.

So, I move into this hunting season with my 45/70 and the full knowledge that this could be the year I watch the big one walk away because he is out of my self imposed maximum range.

But one way or the other, it will not be a BIG truck that gets me there but the little Ford Ranger or possibly even my 4wheeler.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

whitetailsniper
08-12-2010, 01:17 AM
update on the 300 wsm a bolt browning.
i finally got to shoot this puppy,before giving results let me answer some of your questions,, a fellow member and i did a trade i gave him my encore 30 t/c 15inch satin barrel,in exchange for this beatiful browning a bolt 300 wsm rifle only shot 2 times,,also was given to me a brand new rcbs die set for this caliber,and a box of fushion ammo with 2 missing from the box. this rifle is flawless and is a limited edition rocky elk federation . we did an even exchange. i took it home, and loaded up some siearra 150 grain spr using varget 56.5 grains, and imr 4350 66.0 grains 9 rounds each,,and took the fushion factory 165 grain with me, i mounted leupold bases and rings,and installed a nikon 3x9x40 scope. i started off with the factory ammo,and it had a kick,but nothing that was as bad as i thought it was going to be,the sight in to zero was with 8 shots,dialed right in with no fuss,, then finished off the 18 rounds with impressive groups. i took my time letting the barrel cool down between shots, it was 87 degrees,with winds 10-15. as i had my 45 acp i shot that awhile,then sighted in my 209x50 15 inch encore pistol. the next day i tried my loads fist the imr groups were ok,nothing to write home about,,the recoil was equal to if not a tad more,but do able,,then i shot 9 shots of the varget with equal results to the fushion factory,now keeping in mind i was using differant bullets ,and weight my groups with the varget were just as tight as the fushion 165 grain. (groups were less than 1/2 @ 200 yrds. does this cal. and gun kick,yes sir,did it hurt YES SIR when wearing a tee shirt,, will i keep it ? yes i think i will. i believe when choosing the right bullet for the job,and reloading myself, and finding the right load, this rifle has alot of potential. i agree with the members, when saying choose the correct bullet .,, i know think this rifle loves 165 grain for the twist it has,,but now i think the ballistic tip is not the way to go.. im going to do my homework,but am now leaning towards the partition bullet in a 165 grain. i have shot more than my fair share of deer here in mich. and the racks dont excite me,its a bonus,im a meat hunter,,im more into placing the best shot i can, and even with a caliber of this size,,,youll only need one shot to get the job done, so the recoil is not going to be a problem. thank you all for your input into this. since i joined this website, ive enjoyed it very much,your all a bunch of great guys,fellow shooters,and hunters,,and i salute you!!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
08-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Hey there Whitetailsniper,

I have used the Nosler partition 165gr for a number of years in a 300win.

Normally I would choose a 180gr or if the mag./action was long enough, or in the case of the RUGER #1 my son now has, a 200gr Nosler.

However, I had a rifle with a VERY POOR barrel, and the 165s just seemed to do the best in that bad situation.

So, I bought a bunch and have kept using them in the current 300, which really does great with that bullet.

I agree that the balistic tip would not be a good choice! It may shoot great groups, but given a poor hit is can also cost you a lot of meat.

Personally, If not using a bullet with the integrity of the Nosler Partition,I would op for something at least in the 180gr range.

Enjoy yur rifle!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

dk17hmr
08-21-2010, 11:00 AM
......But I am with Bret. Guys that need a magnum to hunt deer drive really big trucks.

ammohead

Your right here is my rig.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/DSCN2350.jpg

And my 300 WSM
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/NEF/IMG_0415.jpg

But than again I have hunted deer with a 223, 6.8 SPC, and a 308....in Michigan where a long shot is 200 yards, now that I live in Wyoming and have the space the 300 WSM seems to fit the bill.

82nd airborne
08-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Don't know how or why you came upon a 300 WSM. Could just be for fun. But I am with Bret. Guys that need a magnum to hunt deer drive really big trucks.

ammohead

Good thing is, this is America, where we can have what we want even if there is no real need. There is no need for a car, but dadgum it sure makes life handy eh?

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
08-21-2010, 01:29 PM
Especially when my favorite names for horses are names like Alpo and GraveyTrain! [smilie=l:[smilie=l:

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot