PDA

View Full Version : Need Lorcin Disassembly Instructions

AnthonyB
05-10-2005, 02:47 PM
A buddy asked me to help him out with a Lorcin 380 that is proving unreliable. My first suggestion was to solve the problem by dropping the thing from a high bridge, but he wouldn't go for that. He asked me to take a look at it, but I can't even get the dang thing field-stripped. Anyone willing to admit they own one of these and help me out? You could send instructions in a PM, and I promise to never tell anyone you own a Lorcin. Tony

anachronism
05-10-2005, 03:00 PM
First you take a BIG hammer.......

Bob

NVcurmudgeon
05-10-2005, 03:57 PM
The world's luckiest CA Highway Patrolman owes his life to the unreliability of one of those cheap .380s. He was shot in the head and the gun quit working before the creep could finish him off. Of course the officer's wife is now a big anti-cheap gun spokeswoman, part of a Handgun Control, Inc. roving band. Just tell your friend that any stoppage constitues terminal disassembly.

beagle
05-10-2005, 10:32 PM
Tony...you're sure lowering your standards there./beagle

AnthonyB
05-11-2005, 08:40 AM
Beagle, I am rather ashamed to have the paperweight in the house. I stored it down in the basement behind the water heater, and I don't think any of the real guns saw it. I would hate for the 1911s and Smiths to know it was there...
I have tried to give it back to him once already, but he didn't really seem to want it. Maybe I will try the big hammer disassembly method. Tony

Scrounger
05-11-2005, 09:08 AM
Beagle, I am rather ashamed to have the paperweight in the house. I stored it down in the basement behind the water heater, and I don't think any of the real guns saw it. I would hate for the 1911s and Smiths to know it was there...
I have tried to give it back to him once already, but he didn't really seem to want it. Maybe I will try the big hammer disassembly method. Tony

Why not donate it to one of our LEOs for use as a 'drop gun'...

trooperdan
05-11-2005, 03:09 PM
.. I already had the answer; I was going to say, "Just drop it" but Tony already had that solution in mind!

I guess it is a good thing the bad guys seem to like these, preferably "chrome" plated. They aren't as likely to work well as a good Smith or Glock.

lar45
05-11-2005, 10:47 PM
Okay, here goes. I think?

I believe that this is a striker fireing gun and similar to others that I have had to work on. On the end of the slide is an insert that holds the fireing pin and spring in place. get a pen or pencil and push the insert in partway while lifting up on the back of the slide. You may have to push the slide back and forth while doing this. Eventually the slide will lift from the back, then you can take it off the front of the gun. If the slide will go up to the barrel mount, but not go over it, you may need to take a rubber or raw hide mallet to it to knock it off. Really, the instructions from a factory tech, really not kidding here. I took a file and made some clearance on the frame mount before I put it back together.
Watch out as the fireing pin insert can fly across the room if you let it go.

Hope this helps.

AnthonyB
05-12-2005, 11:49 AM
Lar45, thanks for the tips. I'll give it a try tonight and see what happens. Tony

swheeler
05-12-2005, 06:22 PM
Get it to fire a few rounds and I'm sure it will disassemble itself!!

mike in co
05-12-2005, 07:37 PM
send it to me, i'll put it somewhere between 25 and 50 yds, and see if a 280 lbt at 1050 fps from my dot scoped 44 mag srh will disassemble it......

Buckshot
05-14-2005, 03:32 AM
............I'd bought a 22RF semi-auto Jennings lo these many years ago for the wife. To tell the truth the little begger worked very well. I know they earned the endearment 'Jammin' Jennings', but the one I had DID work. It was for sure card table range effective and I never could fathom why they bothered to rifle the barrel. I mean after a few rounds the lands were covered up by lead anyway. If you'd been involved in a shootout in a closet you'd have probably been okay accuracy wise.

Lar45 just described how the Jenning's came apart. The rear of the slide had a keyhole looking opening in it and this was filled by a piece that carried the rear of the mainspring and the striker. As he said, you pushed in the keyhole shaped piece, lifted the rear of the slide up a bit and then let it go forward, over and off the fixed barrel.

I'd forgotten all about that little pistol. I don't recall whatever it was that happened to it.

................Buckshot

9.3X62AL
05-14-2005, 12:12 PM
Ah, the boat anchors from Chino's "Ring of Fire". There were a group of companies just west of where Buckshot and I live that produced most of these pot-metal wonders, and one family owned a number of the firms. The trendy leftist media did a series of articles about the people involved in those companies, and the name "Lorcin" was a contraction blend of the first names of the firm owner's daughters--Lori and Cindy. The article text was incredibly harsh toward these people, and similarly harsh to a local dealer who sold a large number of the cheap handguns. The dealer is a very nice guy, and the newspapers lied outright in their articles about his statements in their interview. Gee, people do that?

Anyway, I don't think much of the guns produced by these folks, but thought VERY highly of the hysterical stupidity their products prompted from the mainstream news organizations. It would be nice to see the news media held to answer for their falsehoods and misrepresentations, but--as in the case of Dan Rather--they gotta have one foot already in the grave before they oblige the lying SOB's to retire.

Ed Barrett
05-14-2005, 03:39 PM
Don't for get in the next 50 or 100 years they will be "Highly Collectable" items probably call them late 20th century lower priced pistols. <G>

AnthonyB
05-14-2005, 10:16 PM
Still haven't managed to sneak the Lorcin past the 1911s into the workroom to try these disassembly tips, but keep 'em coming. I managed to detail strip my first 1911 in about 45 minutes; not being able to get the slide of the Lorcin says something about the designer when he is compared to JMB. Tony

9.3X62AL
05-15-2005, 11:03 AM
The quality control issues for these guns were addressed by a "no questions asked" warrantee policy. Design elements did leave a lot to be desired.

StanDahl
05-16-2005, 09:35 PM
Ah, the boat anchors from Chino's "Ring of Fire". There were a group of companies just west of where Buckshot and I live that produced most of these pot-metal wonders, and one family owned a number of the firms. The trendy leftist media did a series of articles about the people involved in those companies, and the name "Lorcin" was a contraction blend of the first names of the firm owner's daughters--Lori and Cindy. The article text was incredibly harsh toward these people, and similarly harsh to a local dealer who sold a large number of the cheap handguns. The dealer is a very nice guy, and the newspapers lied outright in their articles about his statements in their interview. Gee, people do that?

I remember seeing a segment of a show like 20/20 or something about the "Ring of Fire" companies. They compared the ROF industrial park setting with various access points and doors to a mainline company (S&W?) that was in the middle of nowhere and mostly underground with many layers of security. Lorcin et al had such a loose set-up that many cases of unnumbered guns wandered out an open side door into the trunks of waiting cars. They did a sting on some lowlife with an Impala trunk full of these one-shot wonders and he was selling them on the street for about $50 each. Don't know how accurate the story was, but it was sure damning as presented. Stan

C1PNR
05-19-2005, 06:43 PM
Was the "Davis" brand also part of the Ring Of Fire group? I won a Davis 32 H&R Mag Derringer in a drawing several years ago.

Fired it a couple of times just to see if it did go bang. Will eventually load it with shot as a snake gun while fishing, 'cause I SURE don't want to shoot it anymore with Mag loads!

Nice thing about the Davis is that BOTH barrels went bang, unlike my F.I.E., I think, in .38 Special. Only one barrel goes bang in it. The other barrel is where I carry my "spare" snake load. In that one I use a .357 case with a tiny bit of Bullseye, a .38 gas check, fill with #12 (or 9) shot, another gas check.

Great at 3 to 6 feet, and if they're any farther away, I can go around!

Yeah, wouldn't it be nice if there were consequences for actions, especially in the print media, but elsewhere, too! Even people who file TWO false police reports about abductions, sexual assault, etc., are let off because they "have a problem!"

Rant over! Think I'll just enjoy the rest of the nice weather here on the Central Coast of the PDRKalifornistan.

Locoweed
06-01-2005, 11:02 AM
I've got a Davis derringer in .32 acp which, although cheap, seems reliable enough. Take the Lorcin and trade it in on a Raven. You can say a lot of things about the Raven but it always goes bang. Mine is totally reliable (but it's not a carry gun).

9.3X62AL
06-01-2005, 11:17 AM
I have heard but could not verify that the group of companies had security problems of the sort mentioned above, along with hiring parolees from the nearby prisons to work at the facilities. Not sure, though. This all took place very close to--but outside of--my county.

Another funny outcome from all the foofahrah raised in the media--the "drop test/safety test" regimen adopted in CA a few years ago was intended to remove these types of firearms from the market. Unfortunately, just about every one of these pot metal wonders passed with flying colors--a thing most annoying to Cal-DOJ.

ayla
03-11-2012, 09:50 PM
Mine looks like it went through ww2. Have no trouble with it.

gmsharps
03-12-2012, 12:07 AM
Lorcins also had a problem with safeties that do not work properly.

gmsharps

ayla
03-12-2012, 09:46 AM
The safety works just like new. When i clean it, i dismantle to remove every pin and spring. Then lightly oil every little part. It is my backup carry.

Ayla

jdgabbard
03-13-2012, 07:27 PM
I had one once upon a time.... Turned around and sold it for gas money. I think I was 19 at the time.

ayla
03-13-2012, 08:15 PM
Have fired hundreds of standard rounds through it. Fits my hand just right. May trade it off if i find a cartridge cylinder for my 1860 Army.

Ayla