PDA

View Full Version : stripped threads in lee mold

accipere
06-28-2010, 08:04 AM
Hi there - I have searched in vain for an easy fix to this problem but any threads I have found concern the sprue plate bolt.
I found a well-used Lee six cavity 9mm 124g mold at a ridiculously low price and it throws the bullets out very well. Trouble is, the screws that hold the mold to the handles have stripped the thread in the mold block, which means I have to invert the mold before dropping the bullets (or get down on my hunkers and search for screw or two). This must be a common problem on battered molds. Is there a straightforward, uncomplicated and not technically fussy remedy? Thanks in anticipation for any advice or pointers as to where to find the info (and apologies in advance if it's a case of me not seeing for looking)
cheers

bruce drake
06-28-2010, 09:29 AM
Retap the hole for a larger diameter screw and then retap the sprue plate for the larger screw as well.

A machinist can do it easily. You can do it if you take your time and are handy with a good drill press so the hole is square to the mold block.

Bruce

qajaq59
06-28-2010, 09:39 AM
If you don't have a drill press, but you know a friendly auto mechanic, he could probably do it for you pretty cheap. Most of them have a decent drill press and the knowledge for that kind of job.

HeavyMetal
06-28-2010, 09:42 AM
A good machinist could also use a steel insert, I forget what they call them, to restore the original thread size.

Using an insert or re tapping will require some machining skills as I don't think there's a lot of metal to work with at least not in the handles.

If this was a piece of aluminum that would not get hot some acraglass in the hole, release agent on the screws, and then put back together would hold it forever or darn close.

The problem with all such "glue's" is they don't like heat.

06-28-2010, 09:50 AM
A "heli-coil" is what you want. The existing hole is drilled and tapped and a "coil" of correct thread is installed. Available in kit form, from a good auto parts store, or a machinist can do it in a few minutes.

fredj338
06-28-2010, 12:29 PM
A temp fix to try is wrap the screw w/ a bit of steel wool. Sometimes it works, if the hole isn't too badly damaged. I mean how much money do you want to put into a $20 mold?

Doby45
06-28-2010, 03:41 PM
It is a six banger so a tad more than $20, but a heli coil would be the answer. Cheap enough to be worth while. If you have to have "someone" else do it and pay that person it goes past the point of being worth while.

billyb
06-28-2010, 03:50 PM
the Lee six cavity has a short threaded section and a straight section that goes through the handle. Drill and tap for a 3/16 long set screw and use a piece of rod the diamiter of the straight section on the lee screw.

Springfield
06-28-2010, 04:04 PM
OK, heres what I did a few months ago. I had 4 molds that had stripped the right side handle screw. All on the right, I don't know why, some weird phenomenon. I took a 1/4-20 allen head screw. I ground down the head so it would not stick out of the screw hole, after opening up the screw enough for the head to fit. I chucked up the screw in an electric drill and filed the shank down to where it was the same size as the old screw. If you have a small lathe, like I do now, it would be much easier, but I didn't have one then. Lastly, you re-drill and then tap the mould threads to 1/4-20. It is only slightly larger than before, but the threads on the original screw are not very deep, these are much better. I have not had any of these new screws strip out yet.

accipere
06-28-2010, 05:10 PM
many thanks to you all - deliverance!

skimmerhead
06-28-2010, 06:05 PM
if you have little skills in the repairs posted then this might help, get you some J B weld mix as per ins. put a glob of it on the threads and around the screw head, insert the screw, once it has dried it should solve your problem for awhile. repeat as nesseray..

skimmerhead :lovebooli springfield-- thats a nice fix!!

fredj338
06-28-2010, 08:52 PM
It is a six banger so a tad more than $20, but a heli coil would be the answer. Cheap enough to be worth while. If you have to have "someone" else do it and pay that person it goes past the point of being worth while.

What's a well used $39 Lee mold worth? Maybe $20?;-)

JIMinPHX
06-28-2010, 09:44 PM
A low-head version of that Allen bolt also exists. It's probably easier to start with that if you are going to use Springfield's method. You should not need to grind the head on that version.

Springfield
06-28-2010, 10:52 PM
It probably does but my local hardware store didn't have them, so you do what ya gotta do. This isn't my only fix for my LEE's, I should post a pic of one all done up .

JIMinPHX
06-29-2010, 07:26 AM
McMaster Carr stocks them. $8.46 for a pack of 50 1/4-20 x 3/4". http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-cap-screws/=7qp5v6

Look under socket cap screws, then on the next page look under Low, then on the next page scroll down a little bit & look under 1/4-20, then on the next page choose your length.

rockrat
07-01-2010, 12:56 PM
You might put a bit of copper electrical wire in the hole in the blocks (remove insulation first!!) and try and put it together. Sometimes the soft copper will kind of "fill in" the stripped part and will hold, especially for what you want.

Springfield
07-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Most of my LEE's are GB moulds and cost me 70.00 each or more, and are not readily replaceable, so I try and do the best fix possible. Jim, thanks for the McMaster link, I may get those next time if I run out of the extra screws I have already made up.