PDA

View Full Version : Modify mold or swage bullet nose ?

Patrick L
08-18-2006, 12:07 AM
Here's the problem. I got in on the group buy Lee 120-312-FP six gangers last summer knowing I was in the market for an M1 carbine. It took me till this summer to get a carbine, and no way will that flat point feed.

Is it feasible to have the mold modified to have a little roundnose added to the cavities ? Or should I maybe see if Corbin has a swaging die to reform my bullets after they are cast ?

Or should I dump the mold and just get one that is a true roundnose ? Your thoughts ?

454PB
08-18-2006, 12:27 AM
I'll bet a Corbin swaging die costs more that the mould.

Buckshot
08-18-2006, 02:36 AM
............Get a gun to fit the mould. That's the way it works :-)

...............Buckshot

Patrick L
08-19-2006, 02:04 PM
Thanks Buckshot, but thats not the answer I'm looking for.

Any other thoughts ? The Corbin stuff I checked out is indeed way too $$. What about using a roundnose type punch as I lubesize ? I've accidentally deformed bullet noses when I forget to change to the correct punch. Do you think that would work?

StarMetal
08-19-2006, 02:33 PM
Pat,

Unless the mould makes a really good shooting bullet, I'd dump it and get a true roundnose. I don't think I would use the luber/sizer to reform the nose as that's alot of undue stress that it doesn't really need to do, although it will till something finally wears out.

Maybe you can talk Buckshot into making your a die to screw into your reloading press. Thing would be to send him a couple bullet and give him an idea of what kind of rose nose profile you expect. All that I think he would have to do is take some 7/8 threaded stock, cut a piece off, drill the ream the correct size hole for the bullet diameter, then cut a nose profile top punch, thread it and the hole it goes into, and make a ram piston to put the squeeze on it.

Joe

Patrick L
08-19-2006, 03:05 PM
Starmetal,

Thats a thought. Of course, the more I think of it, this seems like a lot of work to go thru for a fun gun that is meant to be a plinker. That was the whole point of getting this mold in the first place, a six banger, lots of bullets fast and cheap, and no gascheck to even bother with.

I think I may buy 500 of the Lasercast 115 gr bullets and see how they shoot. If they shoot well, the SAECO 254 looks so close that it will be the way to go.

If the carbine doesn't shoot lead well, then the bulk Remington (gasp!) FMJ bullets are cheap enough for the amount of shooting I'll do. I don't even want to bother with a gascheck design (too much trouble for an M1 carbine.)

True, the SAECO is a lot more $$ than out Lee, but then again it is a lot more mold. The Lee was worth a shot. Live and learn.

Thank you for your expertise.

StarMetal
08-19-2006, 03:32 PM
Pat,

Sounds like good logic. As you know I recently picked up a M1 carbine and there was no way I wanted to buy another mould for it, especially a gascheck one. I don't need another fun plinker that has to eat gaschecks. Yes, it is alot of trouble to go through for fun, that's why I said dump the mould you have and get what you want. Nothing better then casting, lubing, loading, and shooting...no extra steps needed or wanted.

Joe

onceabull
08-19-2006, 08:26 PM
Patrick L. Just ask and the evil ones at e-Bay will put what you need up...#230019236935...Now the actual selling price may be darn tough to chew up and swallow !! onceabull:twisted:

Patrick L
08-21-2006, 08:51 AM
Well, the Lee mold may not be a total loss. 10 gr of Green Dot with this bullet in the '06 makes a nice little plinker. It will do nicely for when my son is big enough to handle the '03 Springfield.

jimbull34
11-05-2013, 11:49 AM
I make dies and probably could make you a point forming die for the .30...