PDA

View Full Version : RCBS 44-300-SWCGC or Lyman429650

seagiant
08-17-2006, 11:15 PM
Hi,
I've been looking at these two molds for a while trying to make up my mind on which to get. I'll admit that I have a preference for RCBS molds over Lyman but of course that is all things considered. If anyone has any thoughts on this I would be pleased to hear your opinion. Oh yes I do know there is a group buy on a 44/444 going on but would like to hear about these two at the moment. Thanks!

454PB
08-18-2006, 12:33 AM
I don't have any experience with the two moulds you mention, but have you looked at the Lee C430-310-RF?. It's an amazingly accurate boolit.

Dale53
08-18-2006, 12:41 AM
I would like to RAVE about the Lee C430-310-RF but it would be unseemly since Frank Siefer of F&M and I designed this bullet. However, I will say that it is the most accurate design that I have ever shot and seen shot in a .44 magnum revolver. I freely admit that I am biased but I am definitely proud of this bullet mould. I also shot the first head of big game taken with this bullet (nice ten point eastern white tail deer). You fellers out west may get bigger deer with mule deer and elk but by doggies our White Tails are corn and bean fed. None better tasting ANYWHERE!

454PB, thank you for your kind words about our bullet mould(:>)).

FWIW
Dale53

seagiant
08-18-2006, 12:45 AM
Hi 454,
Thanks for the info. Actually that is another mold I've noticed but knew nothing about. One thing about the Lee is you could buy a 6 cavity from Midway and make out price wise. Something else to think about on my journey with 44,300Gr. bullets. Thanks again!

454PB
08-18-2006, 12:50 AM
Hey Dale53, I knew you were the father of this design, I've thanked you before!

I also use the same design in .45 cal. in my .454 Casulls with equal satisfaction.

cast-n-blast
08-18-2006, 12:56 PM
Seagiant, might as well cut to the chase and get all 3, as you will eventually acquire all 3 over time. The Lee is a great designed bullet, and accurate to boot. And a bargain in the 6 cavity configuration, as mentioned above. However, SWC can scratch that sentimental itch. Both the RCBS and Lyman are also great bullets. The Lyman will drop out around 319 grs cast of WW, and the RCBS around 309 grs, cast of same alloy. They both shoot extremely well also. Not much help, am I ? Gotta love them all, as they ALL offer something a tad different.

steveb
08-18-2006, 01:45 PM
I would like to RAVE about the Lee C430-310-RF but it would be unseemly since Frank Siefer of F&M and I designed this bullet. However, I will say that it is the most accurate design that I have ever shot and seen shot in a .44 magnum revolver. I freely admit that I am biased but I am definitely proud of this bullet mould. I also shot the first head of big game taken with this bullet (nice ten point eastern white tail deer). You fellers out west may get bigger deer with mule deer and elk but by doggies our White Tails are corn and bean fed. None better tasting ANYWHERE!

454PB, thank you for your kind words about our bullet mould(:>)).

FWIW
Dale53

Well I didnt know that Dale and I have learned something new today. I have wanted to try that bullet its just not the right dia for me. Wished they had it in .433 or.434 dia.

seagiant
08-18-2006, 05:31 PM
Hi Cast,
Yea you might be dead on,on this one. I'm hearing all these great things on the Lee that I'm getting the itch. Go figure! Whats crazy about all this is that I have the RCBS 44-250-K bullet already which will probably take anything in N. America and I think Elmer did take everything with it in N. America! Also I have The NEI/SSK 44-330 GC design bullet that goes 349gr. after the check and lube and is a sweet bullet and mold to boot! This is a great bullet in my 12" Contender barrel but I wanted something a bit more lighter in my scoped SRH to play with.Maybe I should of nameg this thread which one to get first? Thanks for the info!

BCB
08-18-2006, 07:34 PM
seagiant,
I shoot the 429650 ('bout 320 grains) from a SRH topped with a Burris 2x-7x ‘scope. I shoot it as cast with only the check sized to .430 in an RCBS Lube-O-Matic. I shoot 16.0 grains of WC820 (lot#47320) for a muzzle velocity of 1355 fps. The other accurate load I shoot is 19.5 grains of H-110 for 1288 fps. Both of these loads will do 2” at 100 yards most of the time, although I do get 3” stuff from time to time, but I know it is my fault. Both of these loads will rattle my 5.5”x11” steel pendulum at 200 yards all day long once I find the hold-over for a given day. Hold-over can vary be a couple of inches each way depending on the weather conditions. Sort of strange but I guess that is the way it goes. Also note the difference in charge weight for the H-110 and the WC-820. Also note the velocities produced! This was some of the first WC-820 and it was advertised as using H-110 data…WRONG! I started low as I always do—I actually started with AA#9 data and that is exactly what this lot of WC-820 is. I have shot it side by side with 16.0 grains of #9 and the chronograph says they are the same. And so it goes. Regardless, my SRH likes the 429650’s. Good-luck…BCB

Edward429451
08-18-2006, 07:37 PM
I haven't tried the Lee mould yet but I've had the 429650 for a while now. It is a great boolit and everything I expected it to be as the big brother to the 429421. It shoots great in my RH & SBH with just plain ol 2400. Casts at ~320 WW, as stated.

beagle
08-18-2006, 09:44 PM
Seagiant.... I've used both the 44-300-SWC (which I have now) and the 429650. I've also used a bunch of the #328 H & Gs which is a 429650 without the GC.

I'm goona say, it depends on what you're using it in. My SBHs shoot well with all three bullets. The 429650 and the #328 H & G are just a little heavy for normal use unless you're shooting bears or something. I get much more use out of the 44-300-SWC for my heavy loads...or the H & G #326 which is a 275 grain plain base.

For peeestol shooting, I'd be happy with either of the bullets you're asking about. The only caveat is that I'd hog the GC shank out and use them both as PB bullets.

If you're looking at some rifle use, the 44-300-SWC is my favorite in both the .44 Magnum and the .444. I've never shot the 429650 in either of the rifles so I can't comment on it.

Get the RCBS. You'll never go wrong with a RCBS mould. They cast so good./beagle

seagiant
08-18-2006, 11:08 PM
Hi Gentleman,
Well I'll say up front that this whole thread is going to be a personal sticky for me!
BCB,Thanks for the info on the surplus powder. I use the H110 surplus for all my magnum loads and the #105 (AA#5) for regular pistol but have been looking into the WC820 for my next purchase. Thanks for the info and how the powder and bullets work in your Ruger!
Edward, Thanks for the info on the 429650 2400 powder combos in your Rugers. Your probably kicking up old Elmer Keith's load a notch or two!
Beagle, thanks for the three mold coparision. You seem to be the only one that has all three molds! Yes,I also believe that the RCBS Mold is one of the better commercial molds and have a basic Keith style RCBS Mold for every revolver cartridge I shoot!

JudgeBAC
08-21-2006, 09:34 PM
The Lee Boolit is a great one. Shoots extremely well in my Ruger Bisley Hunter which is somewhat of an odity with .431 throat and .4285 bore. So far it will not shoot anything short. The Lee is sized to .430 and is shot in front of N110. Havent chronographed it yet but Im sure it is fast enough to cleanly dispatch anything you would want to shoot on this continent short of big bears which I wouldn't want to tackle with a handgun if a rifle was handy. I recently obtained Lyman's 429649 which the box says is a 325 grain boolit. With gas checks and lube mine weigh 346 grains. It is a great looking boolit. I made a dummy round and it chambers perfectly in the RBH. Haven't shot it yet but have some loaded with Lil Gun. Can't wait to try it out.

LET-CA
08-22-2006, 02:45 AM
Hi,
I've been looking at these two molds for a while trying to make up my mind on which to get. I'll admit that I have a preference for RCBS molds over Lyman but of course that is all things considered. If anyone has any thoughts on this I would be pleased to hear your opinion. Oh yes I do know there is a group buy on a 44/444 going on but would like to hear about these two at the moment. Thanks!

I have them both, and shoot both designs in my Winchester 94s chambered in 44 Magnum and 444 Marlin. You'll have to play with the seating depth, but using the Lee Factory Crimp Die allows you to crimp the bullet pretty much wherever you wish. I just loaded up my first bullets of the Ranch Dog bullet (TL432-285-RF). It's a great design if only because the crimp groove was place with the 444 cartridge length in mind. I ended up with two of the molds, a "faulty one" with the broader meplat which throws bullets at .431 to .432 and the correct design which drops them out at .432 to .434. They both drop bullets at 271 grains with the alloy I was using (heavy on the wheel weights) I'm going to do a whole run of 50% Linotype 50% Wheel Weights to get a lighter bullet (trying for the 265 grain that Michael gets with his). I've been working proposals at the office for the past several weeks and haven't been able to hit the range. Won't happen this weekend either as we've got another big one due to the Navy next week. Good luck and take care.

JSH
08-22-2006, 07:39 PM
I thought I had posted on this in the AM, but must have got lost in cyber space?
I am gearing up to shoot some of the Lee 310's in a 44 revolter. I am curious if any one has used AA5744 with any luck? I have used AA#9 in the past with the 44 with the best luck other than 2400. I do have some WC820 that has the same burn rate a as my #9. With this application I will more than likley stick with the canister powder as I will have a decent supply.
Thanks
Jeff

GLL
08-24-2006, 12:16 PM
I have experimented by modifying a 44-300 for pistol use by machining off the GC. It produced a PB bullet somewhat similar to the Lyman 429421. The original 44-300 dropped at 303 grains WW while the new modified version is now 269 grains WW . I am happy with the results.

Jerry

Left to Right: Ballisti-Cast #928 (borrowed), RCBS 44-300GC, RCBS 44-300 GC removed, Ballisti-Cast #926

http://www.fototime.com/ACDE7FE23C0A919/standard.jpg