PDA

View Full Version : How bad a problem do I have?

boatswainsmate
06-27-2010, 08:02 PM
I have a lyman 358156 mold that when sized is smearing lead up into the bottom crimping grove. Do I have a bad sizer. I currently use all RCBS products. I have no problems with my other sizers when using the lubersizer. Thanks in advance Boats

cbrick
06-27-2010, 08:19 PM
How bad of a problem do you have? Can't say, you didn't give us any info to diagnose the problem. You only gave us the results.

What is the as cast diameter of the boolit?
What alloy is the boolit?
What sizer die are you trying to use?
What diameter is the sized boolit?

Rick

Edubya
06-27-2010, 10:19 PM
I have a lyman 358156 mold that when sized is smearing lead up into the bottom crimping grove. Do I have a bad sizer. I currently use all RCBS products. I have no problems with my other sizers when using the lubersizer. Thanks in advance Boats

Gotta have more info to be able to help. I've never seen this but I make sure to put some tin into my alloy. Makes if tougher but not too hard.

EW

mooman76
06-27-2010, 10:25 PM
Sounds kind of like you are sizing it too much but need more info. What does the bullet measure before you size?

HeavyMetal
06-28-2010, 01:07 AM
I think I'd be taking a good hard look at the as cast boolit as well as diameter readings from same.

It's possible you have,

something stuck on the mold "beagling" it for you

The mold may be to tight on the handles and cause a slight oversize and out of round condition

The mold may have been abused at some point in it's past and is not "tight" on the alignment pins.

The mold may be cut oversize. Then when you size more comes off one side because you are trying to reduce the diameter to much to fast. Again checking diameter will tell you this. Because you are not having this problem with other castings I am leaning toward one or more of the suggested problems being the cause.

If you get lucky the mold will just be larger than you thought. In this case running it through two dies, thus reducing diameter slowly, should cure the problem!

JMtoolman
06-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Another problem might be the old style of Lyman sizer with a step in it insted of the taper. The toolman.

WHITETAIL
06-30-2010, 07:36 AM
I agree with cbrick.:groner:

Edubya
06-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Apparently he really doesn't care. He posted the original post three days ago and departed.

EW

cbrick
06-30-2010, 12:48 PM
Apparently he really doesn't care. He posted the original post three days ago and departed. EW

I kinda thought that too but . . .

Given his online name and location it's quite possible his job may have something to do with his online time.

Rick

boatswainsmate
07-01-2010, 07:25 PM
Thanks for all your reply's. I will have to get the proper tools to take a better look at things. Thanks again Boats

boatswainsmate
07-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Update[smilie=b:

What is the as cast diameter of the boolit? .3591
What alloy is the boolit? 9 pound WW 1 pound magnum shot
What sizer die are you trying to use? .357
What diameter is the sized boolit? .357

Wayne Smith
07-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Where are you in Va Bch? I'm in College Park, office in Pembroke One and over in Chesapake. I'd say get a .358 sizer unless your revolver won't chamber a .358. My Smith's love them at .358, a push fit in the cylinder.

How round is your boolit? Is it possible that you are trying to size a boolit the is .3591 on one side and larger the other way?

boatswainsmate
07-19-2010, 09:24 PM
I live in the Kempsville area off Parliament. Thanks for the advice.

PacMan
07-19-2010, 10:05 PM
Well boat it is hard to say.
First is this a new to you mold? If not has the bullet sized ok in other sizer dies?
Also you say it smears into the bottom crimp grove. Is this a multiple crimp grove bullet or do you mean into the bottom lube grove.
At any rate if it is doing it only on one grove i would not think it is a sizer problem.I would be looking at the mold to see if it is casting the one driving band larger than the rest.
Seems odd that this would be happening to only one band/grove.
dwight

MtGun44
07-22-2010, 06:23 AM
This is just one of the multiple reasons that I don't use this design any more.
357477 in 150 gr form, RCBS 38-150-SWC, Lee 358-158RF and 358429 all do far
better for me with less hassle in molding and sizing and no expense and PITA
of GCs.

Shallow, tiny multi crimp grooves wipe off with the slightest out of round or
significant sizing that does not bother other designs.

My view is ditch the mold, I dislike the design, but many folks love it and will
disagree with me.

The above molds are pretty much fool proof and work fine for full power .357 mag
loads in multiple revolvers for me and others. You are making it harder on yourself
than you need to sticking with this mold and GCs.

Bill

stephen perry
07-22-2010, 08:57 AM
Boats
Before you go any farther take a morning and size/lube a hundred bullets, the cool weather will keep your lube stay where it belongs. Your lube problem will be no more. I would have and do have several sizing dies .001 and .002 smaller than what you have for .358 bullets. Nothing wrong with your sizer, dies, or lube. Some lubes are made to adhere more and bypass less through the sizing dies.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR