PDA

View Full Version : Roogah M77 44Mag

Blammer
06-27-2010, 05:31 PM
I made it to a shooting range today. Only problem is, the max distance was 50 yds. Well, I shot a bunch anyway.

Ruger 77/44mag
I cast up 4 varieties of my NOE 300gr 44cal mould.
All with AC WW's.
gas check hollow point
gas check flat point
plain base hollow point
plain base flat point

first set was with 15gr of 2400
second set was with 16gr 2400

may have to try a third set with 17gr of 2400

as noted on the first target, all the rest of the test loads had the same brass and primer.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Targets/No_1.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Targets/No_2.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Targets/No_3.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Targets/No_4.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Targets/No_5.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Targets/No_6.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Targets/No_7.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Targets/No_8.jpg

Heavy lead
06-27-2010, 05:39 PM
What is your oal on that Blammer? Would it feed with the crimp in the crimp groove?

Blammer
06-27-2010, 08:45 PM
no this was a single loading operation only, I seated it at the crimp groove. When I loaded the round into the chamber and then pulled it out, it was kissing the lands nicely.

OAL 1.760 for a loaded round

BarryinIN
07-05-2010, 11:46 PM
Those groups look about like most of the groups mine makes. Nothing to cut out and carry in the wallet, but plenty good enough.

I was getting a lot of groups that put three or four shots in a nice cluster, then threw one or two somewhat wide. I didn't know if it was me or the rifle, but after working over the trigger a little, that mostly cleared up, so obviously it was me pulling shots while fighting the trigger. The rifle was capable of better all along.
I found trigger job directions for the 77-22 that worked, and those came from a rimfire forum; Rimfire Central probably.

I was messing with mine the other day and was reminded of something you might want to know: The magazines seem to vary, and that makes some magazines easier to use than others. That magazine isn't the easiest to snap in or out of the gun, but none of my three mags feel the same. One is fairly easy to use, another OK, and one gives me trouble.
I noticed that on the troublesome one, the head of the screw that forms the "axle" and sticks out the front was sticking out a lot more than the other two. I took it apart and got it to screw in farther, so I wonder if one of the previous owners (I know of at least two) didn't get it together quite right sometime. It still sticks out more, but is better. None appear to protrude the same.
Also, the head of that one's axle screw is more sharp-shouldered, while the others have a slight bevel to them. That bevel no doubt helps in putting it in or taking it out, so I need to take the screw back out and put more of a bevel on it.
Just something you might want to look at if yours is extra hard to use, or you buy another mag that is.
My rifle came to me with three mags and I have no idea when they were bought or made, but they are a tiny bit different.

2shot
07-06-2010, 02:51 PM
So the question I have for owners of these rifles is, would you buy another one? Or would you look for an old Remington 788 in 44 mag?

I like the idea of a 44 bolt gun but reports of questionable accuracy always stopped me.

2shot

GabbyM
07-06-2010, 04:07 PM
There is a fellow in Southern Illinois with a company Building full length cans for the M77 44 mag and some other rifles. Of course you have to drive down to GA or TN to hunt with them. He said you can shoot hogs all night long. As long as you drop them DRT before they let out a squeal. He claims a 320 grain lead bullet at sub sonic speed works fine. Penetration from tail to squeak. Showed me one at a gun show in Arcola, IL. Built on a M77 in 44 mag with the tube beaded in original stock. Sort of looked like an oversized bull barrel. Can fit smooth with receiver as if it were the barrel. If it weren't for the $200 federal permit and the fact you can't use them in Illinois to hunt I'd be tempted to build one up. I think to even own a can in Illinois you must maintain a federal FFL with a class that cost you a few hundred bucks a year. We don't want to drift off to that subject in this thread but even in Illinois if you have the cash you can do what ever you want. La de da. I have the mans business card here if anyone is interested. Hush Bullet , Inc.

BarryinIN
07-06-2010, 04:56 PM
So the question I have for owners of these rifles is, would you buy another one? Or would you look for an old Remington 788 in 44 mag?

I bought mine just for the novelty of it, thinking I wouldn't use it much. I have found I shoot it a lot and wouldn't really like to be without it now.

I never gave much thought to getting a 788 in .44 Mag other than just to have something different. Now that I have the Ruger and see that a .44 Mag bolt action might actually be useful, I would stay with the Ruger. One of the best things about it, if not the best, is how short, light, and handy it is. I don't think the 788 is much bigger and heavier, but a little could be a lot.

BarryinIN
07-06-2010, 05:00 PM
There is a fellow in Southern Illinois with a company Building full length cans for the M77 44 mag and some other rifles.

One of the reasons I bought mine was thinking I might have an integral can added. In fact, if not for that, I might not have given a bolt action .44 Mag a second look. I was looking at the ones from John's Guns and SRT.
I have a suppressed 77/22 that has turned out to be my most used rifle. There are times I thought a bigger brother would be nice.

2shot
07-06-2010, 05:10 PM
I bought mine just for the novelty of it, thinking I wouldn't use it much. I have found I shoot it a lot and wouldn't really like to be without it now.

I never gave much thought to getting a 788 in .44 Mag other than just to have something different. Now that I have the Ruger and see that a .44 Mag bolt action might actually be useful, I would stay with the Ruger. One of the best things about it, if not the best, is how short, light, and handy it is. I don't think the 788 is much bigger and heavier, but a little could be a lot.

I understand that you can use this rifle in IN for deer hunting now, that's what intrigues me. I can only hope that my state (IL) will adopt simular rules for deer hunting in the future. Shotguns just seem so bulky to carry around.

The other thing is that I'm sure the Ruger is 1/2 the price of a Model 788 in 44 mag. Would be nice to own either one though.

2shot

Themoose
07-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Well, I'm lucky enough to own both a Ruger 77/44 and a Remington 788 in 44 Mag... use them to hunt in Indiana...I prefer the 788 of the two for accuracy... it is bigger, heavier, sports a longer barrel... the trigger is the only drawback that I have found, but I put one of those add-on triggers(Easy something that Cabela's sells for about $40)... I am working up loads for each using LBT 280LFN sized to .432... so far best groups running about 1.6" @ 100yds.. but hoping to do some better... The Ruger is sweet to carry tho, weighing so little.. both have accounted for about 10 Hoosier deer in the last couple deer... 44 mags are good in my book... longest shots were 150-170yds and dropped on the spot.

TheMoose

lak
07-06-2010, 09:00 PM
This is an on going pet peve that just frustrates and fasinates me at the some time. I've been researching this for probably more than a year, what is the best twist for a 44 cal rifle? Ruger used 1-20 twist. Met an older gentleman at the range who has one and it would only pattern 210 gr bullets. Here's an article from Gun Test that somewhat comfirms the same thing http://www.gun-tests.com/pdfs/1-3-MayResults2.pdf
Why was the 1-38 twist used for the 44 cal. Now the twist is 1-20 and barrel makers use faster twist for the 41 and 45 cal. WHY. I have run across a FEW people who have 1-16 twist 44 and they claim they are very accurate. On Handloads.com 444 Marlin rifles, one shooter states his 1-18 twist is shooting cloverleaf with 240 gr bullets @ 100 yds.....Lak

GabbyM
07-06-2010, 10:39 PM
I always figured the Marlin lever guns were slow twist for use with 44-40 power equivalent loads.
A 205 grain plain based bullet at 1250 fps. Otherwise why would they be 1-38” twist.

You could also ask why so many manufactures use a 1-10" twist on a 308 win when they all know a 1-11" is better. Try to make any sense out of it and you'll loose sleep.

Blammer
07-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Don't know where the 5th shot went on target number two.

Mine is a 1:18 twist.

Don't have a Rem 788 in 44 mag to compare it to, but I'd get another Ruger 77. I like it.

BarryinIN
07-06-2010, 11:17 PM
I understand that you can use this rifle in IN for deer hunting now, that's what intrigues me. I can only hope that my state (IL) will adopt simular rules for deer hunting in the future. Shotguns just seem so bulky to carry around.

I think it would be a great choice for you if IL got those regs.

It looks like my screwed up back has retired me from deer hunting so the following comments from me are only speculative.
But...
Let's say it was deer season and I was heading out into the woods in the morning for deer. Following current IN rules, I would take the Ruger 77/44 over anything else I have. And I have several good choices.

Come to think of it, even if the rules were so that I could use any rifle, I think I'd still choose that 77/44. I had not thought about this before and might come up with something else so don't hold me to that, but right now I can't think of anything I'd rather pick.
There would be exceptions, like if I had a nostalgic itch to use one of my old Winchester levers or stood a chance of having to shoot across an open field, but if just heading out the back door into the woods to get a deer, I'd take the little Ruger.

The biggest reason is like I said earlier- it's just so handy. It really is like carrying a .22, and a smallish one at that. I feel like I could walk farther, climb more, etc. The only centerfire rifle I have that comes close are a Steyr Scout and Marlin 1894, and the 77/44 is shorter and lighter, which is saying something. The Steyr is a lot more accurate and has longer range so would be a better all-around choice, but as a woods rifle the Ruger has plenty of accuracy and reach so it's worth using to have the handiest rifle.

I am not exactly a Ruger fan, and I had no big hopes for that rifle when I bought it, so the fact I rank it so highly now means it has made quite an impression on me. As if that wasn't obvious already.

Crash_Corrigan
07-07-2010, 01:48 AM
Other than target #1 it seemed that the 16 gr loading was better for this boolit and such. Are you going to play with 17 gr to see if you can find that sweet spot?

There are some pretty nice groups going on there.

Blammer
07-07-2010, 09:32 AM
Yes I am, I have them loaded just waiting for a day to get to the range. :)

Three-Fifty-Seven
10-21-2010, 08:54 AM
Have you shot it out to 100 yards yet with good results?

ironhead7544
10-21-2010, 05:31 PM
The 36 inch and 38 inch twists were used for long range accuracy with the 200 gr 44-40 bullets. I had a 77/44 and it shot great with the 300 gr bullets. Wish I had it back.

Artful
10-22-2010, 09:45 AM
Nice thumper - I like my Marlin lever but I think I want a bolt 44 as well.

Blammer
10-22-2010, 05:49 PM
Have not shot it at 100yds yet, got extra busy, sooo it got put on the back shelf with a bunch of other projects.

My new job (yea!) keeps my free time to a minimum, but it sure is nice to get a pay check now!