PDA

View Full Version : Really good BP lube results

omgb
06-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Over the last two days I was assisting at a Quail and Wildlife Federation shooting camp for kids. I was running the BP station. Anyway, one of the firearms used was a cap and ball Remington clone. We fired over 200 rounds through that gun without cleaning and with only one misfire. We were at about 5200 feet msl and the temp was in the high 80s to low 90s. the gun and lube was exposed to full sun all day. For the first 50 or so rounds I used Bore Butter. It worked but it ran like oil as soon as I put it over the cylinders. Then I switched to my lube....beeswax, lanolin and lard with a pinch of red dye. It remained firm and sticky (you could roll it like a warm tootsie roll) even in the hot sun. Upon firing, it became wet and crept into the cylinder pin etc just as it should. I'm just amazed that the gun remained loose. We even stopped for lunch for two hours and upon return, the gun was still loose and fully functional.

I'm sticking to this lube for hot weather. It really surprised me at how well it performed.

geargnasher
06-27-2010, 06:20 PM
Kudos! I'll bet those kids had a ball with that thanks to your efforts, and I'm sure they won't forget the thrill any time soon.

If you don't mind me asking, what were the proportions of your mix? I'm assuming the lanolin was regular hydrous woolfat, and that you were filling the cylinder flush with it.

Gear

omgb
06-28-2010, 01:25 AM
I wish I could remember. I know I used a pound of bees wax, about a cup of mutton fat, about half a cup or so of lanolin and the just enough red dye to make it pink. I "cooked" it in the microwave and stirred frequently. Today it was over 90 and the lube was firm like modeling clay. I stripped the Remington today and man was it a mess. Fouling had gotten into everything, right down to the trigger group. Soap, hot water and Balistol fixed it up but it took 45 min or so. Then I did the Sharps, then the 03A3 (I used Korean surplus ammo and it's supposed to be "mildly" corrosive whatever that means so it got soap and water too.) The the 38-55 and finally the 32-20. I had them shoot all kinds of guns just for kicks and giggles. The smallest of the girls fired off that Sharps (45-90) and smiled the whole time,.

cwskirmisher
06-28-2010, 08:14 AM
Over the last two days I was assisting at a Quail and Wildlife Federation shooting camp for kids. I was running the BP station. Anyway, one of the firearms used was a cap and ball Remington clone. We fired over 200 rounds through that gun without cleaning and with only one misfire. We were at about 5200 feet msl and the temp was in the high 80s to low 90s. the gun and lube was exposed to full sun all day. For the first 50 or so rounds I used Bore Butter. It worked but it ran like oil as soon as I put it over the cylinders. Then I switched to my lube....beeswax, lanolin and lard with a pinch of red dye. It remained firm and sticky (you could roll it like a warm tootsie roll) even in the hot sun. Upon firing, it became wet and crept into the cylinder pin etc just as it should. I'm just amazed that the gun remained loose. We even stopped for lunch for two hours and upon return, the gun was still loose and fully functional.

I'm sticking to this lube for hot weather. It really surprised me at how well it performed.

Wha'ts the purpose of the dye? In my experience, any color at all other than the organic color of the ingredients, just stains things (your fingers, the wood, etc).

omgb
06-28-2010, 08:20 PM
The dye is so that I can tell it from the other lube I use for cartridges.