PDA

View Full Version : sights for 1894 cowboy rifle

rollmyown
06-27-2010, 06:51 AM
I'm looking for new sights for my new marlin cowboy rifle in 45 colt. The factory ones are not great and I am looking to improve on them. I'm thinking of ghost ring sights and perhaps a fibre optic front sight for better low light hunting performance.

Recommendations?

Also I bought some John Wayne cowboy factory loads, and have noticed quite a bit of blow back through the receiver. Is this because these cartridges are low powered and fail to seal the chamber? These are the only cartridges (and only brass) I can get right now - I hope to start reloading soon.

Thanks in advance.

Wayne R. Scott
06-27-2010, 08:26 AM
I'm looking for new sights for my new marlin cowboy rifle in 45 colt. The factory ones are not great and I am looking to improve on them. I'm thinking of ghost ring sights and perhaps a fibre optic front sight for better low light hunting performance.

Recommendations?

Also I bought some John Wayne cowboy factory loads, and have noticed quite a bit of blow back through the receiver. Is this because these cartridges are low powered and fail to seal the chamber? These are the only cartridges (and only brass) I can get right now - I hope to start reloading soon.

Thanks in advance.

Skinner Sights LLc. www.skinnersights.com

RE the blowback. Yep!! I have had the same problem in a Rossi 92 .45 Colt with reduced loads. Kinda unnerving the first time you touch one off and have a breeze blowing across your face.

Wayne

cajun shooter
06-27-2010, 10:06 AM
+1 on the skinner sights. There has been some good feedback from people who have boughjt them. I would call him and tell him where and how you shoot. This makes a big difference in what sights are chosen.

Jack Stanley
06-27-2010, 10:08 AM
I have a Skinner sight front and rear on my three fifty seven carbine I think you will like them too . Williams makes a good reciever sight as well .

Getting bullets to fit , a little hgher pressures and cases to fit the chamber properly will stop the breeze at trigger time . Kinda makes ya wonder if Marlin is using up the old forty-one mag reamers on the thirty five caliber line don't it ?

Jack

excess650
06-28-2010, 09:01 PM
I would suggest a Redfield or older steel Lyman receiver sight if you don't mind having the side of the receiver D&T for 2 tiny holes. Marlins were D&T since the introduction of the 336 or there abouts, and I found it odd that they would cease. My new 1894c isn't D&T on the side.

My 336CB wears a receiver sight and the stock front sight which works pretty well in a variety of conditions. I HAD a green FO on my 1895 45-70, but have since replaced it with another 1/16" gold bead.

WARD O
06-29-2010, 11:13 AM
My current Marlin project is getting a brand new 1894 44 mag up and running for this falls deer season. So far it is going along very well.

I am using a traditional style receiver sight - side mounted Lyman - coupled with a Williams Fire Sight front. It seems to show up very well in most light conditions outside. Of course you have to remove the front hood for the fire sight to function. That leave the plastic front sight as the most fragile portion of the sight system. I don't mean that I expect it to break but I know front sights have a habit of getting banged now and then.

I like this sight system and now simply need to get some more trips to the range for play time.

Ward

.45Cole
06-29-2010, 12:56 PM
if you have the eyes, I kept the gold bead up front and used full buckhorn smith ladder sight in the rear. Good fast aquisition (not going to try) and then flip up for long shots (up to side of hill 400some yds away) .45 colt. I would definately recommend.

excess650
06-29-2010, 09:10 PM
I am using a traditional style receiver sight - side mounted Lyman - coupled with a Williams Fire Sight front. It seems to show up very well in most light conditions outside. Of course you have to remove the front hood for the fire sight to function. That leave the plastic front sight as the most fragile portion of the sight system. I don't mean that I expect it to break but I know front sights have a habit of getting banged now and then.

Ward

Cut the center out of the top of the hood and leave it in place. It will leave light enter from above, yet protect your sight blade.

I prefer the green FO sights, and everyone who I've talked to that has used them seem to prefer green over red.

76 WARLOCK
06-29-2010, 09:17 PM
I use a Marbles tang peep on my Cowbvoy limited 44/40.

WARD O
06-30-2010, 01:52 PM
excess650
Thanks for the advice - I will have to give the green a try - I'm not 20 years old anymore and I will take every advantage I can find.

One other issue I've run into - hoods seem to pickup snow (when present) when sneaking through the pines and such. I may take my chances with the hood removed.

Ward

rollmyown
07-11-2010, 12:41 AM
Skinner sights ordered.

Thanks to all for the info.

Rob

Jack Stanley
07-11-2010, 09:11 AM
I'm sure you will like it .

Jack

HEAD0001
07-13-2010, 02:37 AM