PDA

View Full Version : Muffin tin Ingot

BCM45
06-26-2010, 10:29 PM
What does a muffin tin ingot weigh?

gefiltephish
06-26-2010, 10:37 PM
If we guess correctly, do we win a prize?

fatboy
06-26-2010, 10:43 PM
mine are a little over 2 Lbs each up to 2.25 for WW.

gwilliams2
06-26-2010, 10:53 PM
Yep, same here about 2 lbs, don't usually fill them to the top.

BCM45
06-26-2010, 11:18 PM
Sorry no door prizes but thanks for the info.

mooman76
06-26-2010, 11:44 PM
Don't know but a 12 oz soda can weighs a hair under 9#.

Crash_Corrigan
06-26-2010, 11:44 PM
Mine are not quite as tall. You might say that they are vertically challanged (PC) and were made with Bass Pro Shops frying pans.

Yes they are so proud of themselves that they had the Lodge people (No relations to HenryCabotLodge etc) make up some cutsey little cast iron ash trays in the shape of a frying pan. Albiet tiny they make dandy alloy ingot molds.

I bought 8 of them some years ago and I have zero bits of alloy stick to them. The rustier they are the better they work. They deliver a flat muffin of alloy 3 1/2" in diameter and about 1" thick. Ya pour out 8 of these little babies (on plywood table) and once the color on top changes you can dump them elsewhere.

I have been dumping them on the lawn but they make nasty little brown spots when cooling off. I wonder if I could decant them babies into a five gallon bucket of water? Before I do that I had better hook up with Duke Nukem as he has the market corraled on protective gear when smelting.

On the other hand I could borrow my shooting buddy's home made ingot molds. Blake Stephenson (forum member) made some dandies some time ago when we scored on some X-Ray room sheathing that was free for the taking (off the walls that is) and are a perfect size and shape for serious stacking of a stash.

Of course we have a long standing borrowing thing going. I have some of his molds and he has some of mine. I can't find his in my jumbled mess I call home and he ain't giving up anything else until we settle up.

He really oughta put some of them up for sale on this forum and he could make a lot of people happy and make some bucks to support his new brood of 5 American Bulldogs his "Cammie" gave birth to earlier this week. Three white ones and two multicolored little critters. He also will be selling off the puppies in the near future and I believe he should give the members here first crack at them.

He is a very shy and decent fellow who probably should employ me as his manager. He is the real deal.....6'5" and 250 # of all american man without love handles nor a gut. He has been unemployed for over a year in this lovely Las Vegas construction business and can use some bucks... I'm gonna hafta talk to that boy....

fredj338
06-27-2010, 12:56 AM
I would think that depends on the size of the muffin tin & how much you fill it? Then again, someone may have a better crystal ball.[smilie=p:

SciFiJim
06-27-2010, 03:10 AM
I have one pan that yields a 28oz ingot from clip on WWs. I have another that yields a 48 oz ingot. Depends on the size of you muffins. I find myself using the angle iron ingot molds more now. They are easier to stack.

RKJ
06-27-2010, 11:18 AM
I got some condiment tubs from Walmart (97 cents for 4 of them) after my muffin tins broke apart. They weigh with WW's approximately 1.1 lb. I got the idea from someone here on the forum.

geargnasher
06-27-2010, 12:53 PM

They weigh enough if they fall on and kill the mime in the forest that was clapping with one hand!

Gear

BCM45
06-27-2010, 02:47 PM
They weigh enough if they fall on and kill the mime in the forest that was clapping with one hand!

Gear

Best answer yet!

Salmon-boy
06-27-2010, 06:08 PM
What makes an ocean wave, wave?

I bet it's more than a muffin. Sometimes it's less than a biscut.

RP
06-27-2010, 06:15 PM
ocean waves are caused by wind earthquakes boats maybe people tossing in big rocks fish jumping and whales farting.

HammerMTB
06-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Hmmm,
If we are answering the unanswerable,
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck
that is, IF a woodchuck could chuck wood :Fire:

Goatlips
06-28-2010, 12:24 AM
Hammer,
How much ground round could a hound dog hog if a hound dog was around ground round?

(I'm terribly sorry.)

I like thinner muffin ingots as they melt in my 20 lb bottom pour faster without cooling it off.

Goatlips

prs
06-28-2010, 12:14 PM
Goatlips needs another 20# pot. That way, one is always hot 'n ready.

prs

alamogunr
06-28-2010, 06:37 PM
The ingots I got from the first muffin pans I used weighed about 2+#. The ingots I get from the Lodge muffin pans I use now weigh about 1.25#. I have some pans I got on Ebay a few years ago that give an ingot that weighs about 3½#. Those are too big and unhandy. All I use them for is range scrap that I intend to alloy with soft lead or antimony.

I also have a big mold that I got from Magma several years ago. It makes a rectangular ingot that weighs around 15 lbs. I cast up a few hundred lbs with it to put in the bottom of my safe. Guns and all, that safe has to weigh over a ton.

John
W.TN

Fugowii
06-28-2010, 09:51 PM
I have a cast iron muffin pan and my ingots average around 26 OZ (one pound, ten ounces). I
picked up a mini muffin cast iron pan over the weekend and haven't used it yet but I would
estimate they will weigh around a pound.

Centaur 1
06-28-2010, 11:11 PM
I've been using muffin tins for a while now. They're right at 2 1/4 lbs when full and I leave them about 1/8" from the top and they weigh 2 lbs. A little trick that I do is, I filled one muffin hole with lead and let it harden. Then I used a set of steel stamps and marked the bottom of the muffin pan with the alloy. The letters and numbers go through to the inside and any future ingots that are poured into it get marked. A muffin pan has 6 or 8 muffins and each one can be labeled with the alloy. The ones in the pic were cast from range scrap which is why I labeled mine as bullet lead, as well as the weight(2 lbs) and my initials. I've been waiting for a buddy to get me some wheel weights and I'll just stamp another muffin when I get them.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk248/mlschmall/0323102102a.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk248/mlschmall/0323102103a.jpg

Goatlips
06-29-2010, 12:31 AM
Centaur, What a great trick! Like most really good ideas, it's is simple and it works!
Now, where's my set of stamps....

Goatlips

lwknight
06-29-2010, 01:33 AM
I'm thinking the same thing. I have several 3X5 breadpans so I can stamp my 2-6-92 in the bottom.

dualsport
06-29-2010, 02:07 AM
A common muffin pan is a fairly consistent size, made to hold those little paper cups that turns them into cupcakes and fancy muffins. Mine hit right around 2 .lb. Now, can someone tell me where I can get a round tuit? My wife wants to know when I'm gonna get a round tuit.

whisler
06-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Round toits are very hard to get. At least that is what I tell the wife. " i'm having a hard time getting a round toit". Problem is she doesn't buy it.

geargnasher
06-30-2010, 11:39 PM
Round toits are very hard to get. At least that is what I tell the wife. " i'm having a hard time getting a round toit". Problem is she doesn't buy it.

You know you can only buy "round tuits" with wooden nickels, right?

Gear

lwknight
07-01-2010, 12:23 AM
You can trade used lube grooves for round toits.

Ed Gallop
07-01-2010, 10:24 AM
I like the little mini muffin pans because the ingots fit in the pot better and they are easier to weigh for mixing in percentages. The ingots weigh about 8 ounces or 10 ounces if full.

alamogunr
07-01-2010, 11:35 AM
I like the little mini muffin pans because the ingots fit in the pot better and they are easier to weigh for mixing in percentages. The ingots weigh about 8 ounces or 10 ounces if full.

I would have to agree. It is too late for me to start over, but the bigger ingots take too long to melt in either the Lee 4-20 or the RCBS ProMelt. I finally learned to leave the pot full. When it needs to be refilled, it is time for a break anyway.

John
W.TN

MJR007
07-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Yep, all my tin and solder goes into mini muffins now.

Fugowii
07-01-2010, 07:40 PM
I just melted up a batch of lino into the mini cast iron muffin pans and each ingot weighs around
19 ounces. A regular cast iron muffin pan will yield an ingot weighing around 26 ounces. I like
both sizes and they both fit in my Lyman.

dualsport
07-04-2010, 10:37 PM
I cast a lot of 'muffin' ingots, the regular size ones. They won't quite fit in my Lee Production Pot 10 .lber. I hit them with a torch and they drop right in. Speeds up refils real quick.

BCM45
07-04-2010, 10:47 PM
I took mine to work and put them on the freight scale one was 1 lb and the other was 2lb. I guess it depends on full you fill them.