PDA

View Full Version : chore boy

redriverhunter
06-26-2010, 06:27 PM
after reading on hear how good chore boy was at getting the lead out, it works so well that i am worried that i may over use it to the piont that i abuse the barrel is this possible
thank you

Bret4207
06-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Don't know if this will help since I don't use a Chore Boy, they look kinda coarse to me and they aren't all copper. I use 4/0 steel wool, the same stuff your high priced gunny smithe uses to polish that high dollar blue job you got. In my case, I have zero worries.

Buckshot
06-27-2010, 02:50 AM
.............Chore Boys are pure copper. However you CAN buy copper PLATED steel scouring pads. Simply use a magnet, or better yet, don't buy'em unless they say "Chore Boy". :-) I really fail to see how they could damage the barrel, as they're copper. Bronze is tougher then copper and bronze bristle brushes are sold by the carload for barrel cleaning.

Re: Bret4207's comments on steel wool. I read an article some years back in Precision Shooting magazine on cleaning 22RF rifle barrels by the guys competing in the BR50 benchrest matches. Several mentioned using steel wool, which at the time really shocked me, but there is steel and then there is steel :shock: These guys wouldn't have down it to those expensive barrels unless they KNEW there'd be no danger. However I'll admit to being a chicken and have only used steel wool on some newly aquired M38 Turk Mausers years back. More recently on a M24/47 Czech 8x57 Mauser. The steel wool was the only thing that would clean those barrels of all the junk that was in there.

.............Buckshot

Bret4207
06-27-2010, 07:02 AM
Following up ob Bucksnort- lets remember we're just using it to clean the leading or fouling. I'm sure thousands of passes of fresh SW would have an effect. Thousands of passes of Chore Boy or anything else will have an effect too. Moderation is all things, eh?

cajun shooter
06-27-2010, 10:10 AM
Kroil and ProMP7are two good ones that might stop you from from using anything else.

.45Cole
06-29-2010, 01:35 PM
most barrels are chrome-moly lined right? a chrome alloy would be harder on the Mohs scale, with something less hard being unable to scratch something harder. Copper isn't as hard as steel, iron or most barrel metals, except for nerf guns. I once used chore boys to clean a badly fouled nerf gun and was horrified when the accuracy just went to the dogs, as I was trying to shoot at the cat.

Newtire
07-07-2010, 08:25 AM
Kroil and ProMP7are two good ones that might stop you from from using anything else.

2X on the Kroil! You have to watch out that the soft copper doesn't pick up grit and turn intself into a real barrel wrecker. Now, if I could fugure out how to get out that plastic fouling from my shotgun barrel!!

Bret4207
07-08-2010, 07:15 AM
They say carb cleaner will sut the plastic fouling.

Newtire
07-08-2010, 08:49 AM
Aha! I've been trying Brake Kleen with some success so will get me a can of carb cleaner and give that a try next. Thanks!