PDA

View Full Version : Ruger "Snake Six"

Bucks Owin
08-17-2006, 01:38 PM
Here's a look at my recently completed favorite woods companion. It's an Old Model Ruger Super Single Six 6.5" that I got from Gunbrokers some time ago for $201. (It had a mag cylinder only and a chipped grip panel !?!) I swapped the mag cyl to a guy at the Ruger Forum for this mint LR cylinder. I had my 'smith fit this cyl with .002" gap and ream one chamber out to .22 WMR. The gripframe and stocks are XR3 swapped from my .44 Flattop. (Which also makes my .44 kinder to my middle knuckle!) I figured since I have to carry "5 beans in the wheel" anyway, why not have the empty hole chambered for a mag round. Now I have the option of carrying a serious snake load up first or the ability to make a "long shot" should the need arise by having a couple mag rds in my pocket....

Many thanks go to Larry Mears of Redding CA who did the fine cylinder work. With good ammo, this lil' hogleg will group under 1" at 25 yds any time I can do MY part....

Definately a "keeper"! :-D

Dennis

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/Snake002.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/6sna001.jpghttp://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/22WM001.jpg

StarMetal
08-17-2006, 02:04 PM
Dennis,

My first first real gun ever was a Ruger Super Single Six with both cylinders and I bought it in 1965 home on leave from Navy boot camp. Cost me $69 and got a free box of ammo with it. Now when I mention where I bought old Bass Ackward will know, it was a Buck Trues in Benlyville, Pa. Six and one half inch barrel. Boy would that baby shoot. Like a dummy I sold it and have lamented that ever since. I need to get another one. My brother at near the same time bought the same thing except with a 5 1/2 in barrel in the Army PX in Germany for cheaper yet.

Joe

9.3X62AL
08-17-2006, 03:45 PM
Buck, that is a right handsome roller. I've had a couple of these (both New Models) go through my hands over the years, and both were given to partners for their kids to learn handgunning with--a Colt 22 SA (Frontier Scout?) got the same disposition. All of these were good, accurate little revolvers that are affordable fun for just about anybody.

Bucks Owin
08-18-2006, 02:44 PM
Buck, that is a right handsome roller. I've had a couple of these (both New Models) go through my hands over the years, and both were given to partners for their kids to learn handgunning with--a Colt 22 SA (Frontier Scout?) got the same disposition. All of these were good, accurate little revolvers that are affordable fun for just about anybody.

I agree, they are perfect sixguns for beginners. Both my wife and daughter "tee'd off" with a 5.5" NM SS6 and put many dozens of bricks through it. Now my 14 yr old daughter can easily outshoot "the ol' man" with her 6" M19 Smith....

It really is a great feeling when the "student" surpasses the "teacher"....;)
And a Single Six is a great tool for the job. (So is Colt's "New Frontier" for those with enough dinero!)

Dennis

Char-Gar
08-19-2006, 08:25 PM
I have two OM Ruger single sixes. One is a 6.5" that came with the LR cylinder. I picked up a Mag cylinder on Ebay and that is what lives it it. A fine sixgun indeed.

The other is a 1958 vintage flat top, I picked up a hock shop for $110.00 beause it had no finish and there was some light pitting on the barrel. I filed and polished the metal back to tip top shape and had it given black satin Gun-Coat. I sold the XR grip frame and grips on Ebay and installed a XR3-RED frame and walnut stocks I had in my parts box. Long story short, I now have a great sixgun that looks, shoots great and I only have $35.00 in it

Doughty
08-20-2006, 11:04 AM
Chargar,

How did you list the grip frame on e-bay. I tried to and they kicked it off, apparently because I used the word "frame." Is there a code word for frame?

Bucks Owin
08-20-2006, 03:13 PM
Chargar,

How did you list the grip frame on e-bay. I tried to and they kicked it off, apparently because I used the word "frame." Is there a code word for frame?

Grip support? Stock retainer? "Handle"? :roll:

E-butt should not have the support of gun owners anyway IMO....

Dennis

BTW Chargar....$35? WOW! :drinks:

Joey
08-28-2006, 09:05 PM
Bought mine in Honolulu when I returned from Vietnam. I think that I also paid $69.00. I remember very clearly that in 1969 I had a 1 week waiting period.

Hawaii is not gun friendly.

357maximum
08-29-2006, 01:16 AM
I have a new model single six that I bought off my dad , he sold it to me for $1, and it was the only way at that age I could get a pistol in this "FINE" state.

It is one gun from that era in my life that has not been traded or sold, and it never will. I use the LR cylinder most the time, but occassionally the mag cylinder will get put in for fox calling duty. I have harvested so many squirrels,rabbits,feral cats, and other critters with it, I could not honestly recall exact numbers of anything. It remains a constant companion, and is still perfect, except for a little holster wear on the end of the barrel..At times it has worn a little scope, but most of the time it sports the sights wich have had a custom cut insert in the front blade. A better little 22 pistol I could not imagine....beginner or otherwise..it is only perfect.