PDA

View Full Version : What to do with stick on wheel weights

reloaders4you
06-26-2010, 03:36 PM
I have about 200 pound of the stuff and would like to do somthing with it. Also I have a few questions. I have heard this stuff is pure lead, true or false. Second, is it worth melting down any way and what applications would it be used for. Thanks always

Muddy Creek Sam
06-26-2010, 04:17 PM
stick ons are close BHN under 8, except for zinc and steel. It is great for C&B and Muzzleloaders or for softening other lead.

Sam :D

knifemaker
06-26-2010, 04:23 PM
The stick ons are very close to pure lead. I use 50% of pure lead mixed to 50% clip on wheel weights for casting my 45 ACP bullets. Has been working great and no leading with several pistols. I do keep the velocity in the 800-850 FPS range.

RELH

skeettx
06-26-2010, 05:03 PM
Also used as the cores for swaged bullets.

Mike

Echo
06-26-2010, 07:28 PM
I'm running into more zinc stick-ons recently, so when you render them down, do it coolly so as not to disturb the zincies too much.

I render them (Pb stickies) down and pour into Coke cans that I've removed the tops from. Make 6-lb ingots for further use. When ready to use, peel the can off and have at it...

reloaders4you
06-27-2010, 12:45 AM
I render them (Pb stickies) down and pour into Coke cans that I've removed the tops from. Make 6-lb ingots for further use. When ready to use, peel the can off and have at it...

Nice idea:idea:

lwknight
06-27-2010, 01:15 AM
I took a Diet Dr. Pepper and without opening it drilled a hole in the bottom and got all the liquid out. Then drilled a small vent hole in the high point of the base.
I did not want to burn the paint so I put it in water just exactly to cover the painted part.
I had to hold the can down in the water till some alloy got into it and filled it all the way.
Now I just leave it sitting on my counter for a joke. People will try to pick it up and get a surprise LOL!
I also keep it away from the edge cause I would hate to get it dropped on someones toe. OUCH!! It weighs around 9 pounds or so.

cbrick
06-27-2010, 02:23 AM
reloaders4you,

What to do with stick on wheel weights?

I always get more clip-on weights in a bucket than stick-ons but I also use a lot more clip-ons. As a result I now have about 800 pounds of both cleaned up and poured into ingots, so what to do with all the soft lead? Here is an option I've been exploring, I have been getting (as an average) 11-13 BHN from air cooled 6 BHN stick-on weights or right about clip-on air cooled BHN.

Alloying with Roto Metals Super Hard (http://www.lasc.us/SuperHard.htm)

Hope this helps give you some ideas,

Rick

reloaders4you
06-27-2010, 11:48 AM
The 200 pound is from about six or seven 5 gallon buckets of WW. We have a good family friend whose brother is in the industrial tire business. I trade him 30 rounds of surplus 7.62x54 ammo for a 5 gallon bucket. After reading the comments, I think I'll melt them into ingots and save them for a rainy day. As always, thanks to all who commented.

reloaders4you
06-27-2010, 11:54 AM

Hope this helps give you some ideas,

Rick

What a great link. Cbrick what is it like living in The Peoples Rubuplic of California AND being a lead shooting shooter i.e. laws and regulation as such...

fredj338
06-27-2010, 05:44 PM
What a great link. Cbrick what is it like living in The Peoples Rubuplic of California AND being a lead shooting shooter i.e. laws and regulation as such...
I belong to a private outdoor club range here. All I shoot is lead boollets, well except for my G26 & 357sigs, they get mostly J-bullets. Lead WW have been banned & they supply is drying up fast. I suspect lead ww will be completely gone inside 2yrs max.
We can not hunt w/ lead core bullets in most of the state, but shooting on private land w/ lead bullets, still allowed. We can NOT buy ammo through online or mailorder after 2/2011. Yes it is going from bad to worse, but what do you expect from the over educated, touchy/feely liberal left?

reloaders4you
06-27-2010, 06:24 PM
We can NOT buy ammo through online or mailorder after 2/2011.

That is why I don't even step foot in that state. The inmates are running it.

sargenv
06-28-2010, 12:35 PM

And that's exactly what the idiots in charge want.. thanks for nada... :P

fredj338
06-28-2010, 12:40 PM
HA! I wish it were the inmates. At least then we would know what was around the corner. No, the state is being run by "intellectual" morons. They have no idea what they are doing, but oh how it feels so good doing it.:cry:

reloaders4you
06-29-2010, 12:56 AM
And that's exactly what the idiots in charge want.. thanks for nada... :P

Why is that?

riverwalker76
06-29-2010, 08:48 AM
My wife lived in California for 10 years, and she says that she's glad I 'saved' her when I did. :razz:

It seems California is leaning towards becoming it's own country! You can't import / ship ANYTHING to or from California without some sort of regulation. They want their money to stay in the state so badly that they've even considered an internet tax on purchases made out of state. :shock:

cbrick
06-30-2010, 10:58 PM
Even though I live in CA I have updated the Roto Metals Super Hard page including recipes for both Hardball alloy and Lyman #2. Now you know what to do with those stick-on weights.

Rick

reloaders4you
06-30-2010, 11:12 PM
Thanks rick......you are the man!!!!!!!