PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Lube A Matic II ???'s

BigSlick
08-17-2006, 12:49 AM
RCBS Lube A Matic II ??? Scored a Lube A Matic II in pristine condition along with 9 top punches and a few sticks of lube today for $100.

I understand Lyman dies will work with this unit. Are RCBS top punches and Lyman dies compatible ?

From what I read, RCBS dies leave a little to be desired where finish is concerned. Lymans are supposedly machined and polished much nicer than the RCBS and cost a bit less to boot.

Any suggestions for lube ?

Blue and Red Angel Thompson lubes have been suggested.

Will the Lyman heater unit work with the RCBS ? If not, any suggestion for heating hard lube ?

Thanks

BigSlick
________
Vaporite (http://vaporizers.net)

Buckshot
08-18-2006, 02:54 AM
RCBS Lube A Matic II ??? Scored a Lube A Matic II in pristine condition along with 9 top punches and a few sticks of lube today for $100.

I understand Lyman dies will work with this unit. Are RCBS top punches and Lyman dies compatible ?

Yes they are.

From what I read, RCBS dies leave a little to be desired where finish is concerned. Lymans are supposedly machined and polished much nicer than the RCBS and cost a bit less to boot.

For the most part I'll agree that Lyman dies appear to be better finished on the outside. I've seen soume rough Lymans too. However, it's really on the inside that counts. The only negative thing I can see about RCBS dies is that they cut an internal groove around the inside of the die at the lube holes. If you're bumping boolits you can upset lead into this ring. Other then that I guess it's no big deal.

Any suggestions for lube ?

Javalina if you don't have a heater.

Blue and Red Angel Thompson lubes have been suggested.

Will the Lyman heater unit work with the RCBS ? If not, any suggestion for heating hard lube ?

I think they interchange (not the definate answer you were looking for, eh :-). Several things you can do for heat. One is to set a hair dryer to blow on it. Setup a heat lamp to shine on it. Play a propane torch over it until it's warm and then occasionally thereafter. Buy one. Build one. Do a search here on "Lube Heaters" as there are several threads on it.

Thanks

..................Buckshot