PDA

View Full Version : Lee lube and sizing kit

danyboy
06-25-2010, 09:23 PM
Anybody ever seated gas check with the Lee lube and sizing die ? I plan on trying this nose first sizing system from Lee but before I buy one, I was wondering if anyone ever seated gas checks with this Lee sizing die ?

sav300
06-26-2010, 02:32 AM
yep,8mm and 444 marlin,works ok.You may need a bit of lube on the projectiles to help them thru.

zomby woof
06-26-2010, 06:44 AM
It's the only way I do it. 6.5X55, 30.06, 30 Carbine, 8mm.....

plaz
06-26-2010, 07:49 AM
I am new at casting and very confused about sizing. I understand that sizing is desireable because it produces a uniform bullet diameter. I noticed that most of the Lee molds cast bullets at the final diameter. That being the case I assume that using these Lee molds means there is no need for sizing equipment.

Is this a correct assumption or not?.

mooman76
06-26-2010, 09:57 AM
It is correct it the bullets come out to a size that is within your perameters of what you can use. Depends on the gun you use in other words. If it's a little large but won't chamber well then you need to size. Usually it will work though.

zomby woof
06-26-2010, 04:15 PM
I am new at casting and very confused about sizing. I understand that sizing is desireable because it produces a uniform bullet diameter. I noticed that most of the Lee molds cast bullets at the final diameter. That being the case I assume that using these Lee molds means there is no need for sizing equipment.

If your going to use a Gas Check, the LEE sizer will install the GC also.

Caster Blaster
06-26-2010, 04:35 PM
I use the lee .430 sizer for my 44mag gas checked boolits, It works great, like sav300 said make sure you lube the boolits first though

fryboy
06-26-2010, 09:19 PM

as noted there are several variables ...of course the main two are the mold cavities and the alloy used , IF ur finished projectile is within tolerances great u dont have to size , but undeniably sizing eliminates another variable and the less variables the better ,but it also has to do with intended usage , if ur just gonna blast a hole in umm whatever just to shoot would it really make a difference ? prolly wouldnt be needed unless oversized, if ur after small groups with a pistol or rifle it mite make alot of difference,a harder alloy boolit will be larger than say a softer lead alloy , the harder alloy will also weigh less but that's mute for this, also note that lee states their molds cast at said diameter u'll find that ur usage will vary ,sometimes even just from casting temperature and then there's actual barrel size thing again....

timkelley
06-27-2010, 10:05 AM
I do .308, slick as can be.

danyboy
06-28-2010, 09:43 AM
I am convinced, I ordered a .309 Lee bullet lube and sizing die this morning. Thanks for all the input guys.

Shiloh
07-01-2010, 07:50 PM
I've never seated check with mine. A buddy does it all the time, as well as good reports from the members here at the forum. No reason for me not to.

Shiloh