PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to weld a bit on some handles?

AbitNutz
06-25-2010, 06:08 PM
So the Carbine Tree locking mold handles won't fit Lee 6 cavity molds. However, the owner said that some owners had welded on some extensions to allow them to fit. I have no talent or equipment for that. Anyone here talented enough to figure this out and do it?

Considering the machinist talent pool here, I'm almost embarrassed to ask.

geargnasher
06-26-2010, 02:10 PM
You can buy either Lee six-cavity handles or RRR makes them cheaper than your shipping both ways. I've made Lee six-cav handles from scratch and there's no way I'll do it again when they cost $12 new.

Gear

Echo
06-26-2010, 07:24 PM
Red River Rick (on this forum) makes outstanding handles. I have some and they are non-pareil (love that word!).

Wayne Smith
06-27-2010, 08:56 AM
Methinks he's asking if someone would weld extensions on Gussie's locking handles. Not just looking for handles.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, Abit.

AbitNutz
06-27-2010, 10:24 AM
Exactly! And that was Carbine Trees's suggestion....He said some of his customers have welded extensions on the locking handles to fit the Lee 6 cavity.

Oh god, please don't make me do this myself. It will end up costing like a government project and looking like an autistic crack head performed the work. There must be someone out there that can weld, grind and polish the extensions to look factory.

The more I look at the Carbine Tree handles the more I just have to try them. But I certainly don't want to destroy them attempting to make them fit the Lee 6 cavity mold.

D Crockett
06-27-2010, 11:18 AM
I can wield it but what I would charge you could buy 3 sets of lee handles but if that is what you want to do give me a pm and we will work out the details D Crockett

RayinNH
06-27-2010, 11:27 AM
What are they made to fit now? If you adapt to fit Lee 6 cavity, they will no longer fit Lyman 4 cavity, probably others as well. You could make extensions that bolt through existing holes but it might make them a little long, but you won't ruin the existing handles...Ray

AbitNutz
06-27-2010, 03:52 PM
No, I don't think so. Adding to the length I don't believe would prevent them from being used for other molds. As you can see, the handles have multiple holes for various mold makes.

These handles really look amazing clever and well made.

http://www.castingstuff.com/mouldhldr.JPG

geargnasher
06-27-2010, 05:18 PM
OK, try this: Redrill the holes in your Lee mould blocks back toward the handle end just enough to use your present handles without modification. ;-)

Gear

RayinNH
06-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Abit, it's not a length issue, it's the thickness. For instance RCBS handles won't fit Lyman 4 holers, plenty long enough just too thick. So my original question was, what where they designed to fit because they won't fit them all. Do like Gear said, that makes more sense...Ray