PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Guarantee

Jerry11826
06-25-2010, 10:39 AM
I have read on this forum that RCBS will guarantee their equipment forever. I have an RCBS Pro Melt. Much used. Still works great, but has a lot of rust on the sheet metal that holds the pot. Will probably need a new one in a few years.

Mine has a date stamp. I think it sez 1986.

Does anyone know what RCBS's policy is with old equipment such as this?

Thanks,

Jerry

cheese1566
06-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Call or email them.
But I suspect unless something is missing or broken, they may not warranty rusty stuff parts if only cosmetic, unless it hinders operation.

Changeling
06-25-2010, 02:49 PM
Lets put this another way. If you find a company that stands behind it's products better than RCBS, PLEASE tell us about it. We will not hold our breath!

Hardcast416taylor
06-25-2010, 03:01 PM
What cheese said. If you have a broken part or need a manual they will supply. Damage by rust I doubt it. If it isn`t falling apart and a danger, just continue to use it. I had a pot of similar age I gave to a friend getting started. That was 5 years back and he is still using it regularly. Robert

Edubya
06-25-2010, 10:19 PM
Since you asked: Why are you now worried about the sheet metal rust? It didn't happen over night. You can always clean it up and paint it new. If you take care of equipment, it will take care of you.

That's what they told us in the military and that's what they told us in industry; it's just the facts!

EW

cheese1566
06-25-2010, 10:46 PM
OOOhhh!
Sounds like a great refurb project in sandblasting and repainting!
How much you want for it?

Jerry11826
06-26-2010, 07:35 AM
Not knocking the Pro-melt. Is a great tool! And yes, I guess I am a slob! Never cleaned anything, even left a couple of inches of alloy in the pot after use. Poured nicely and never dripped or leaked!

Started casting a couple of years before I bought the Pro-melt. Had the little Lee 10 pound pot. Was also a good tool, but mine did more than just drip, it leaked. Now you could stop the leak by twisting the rod with a screw driver, but that was a hassel.

Bought the Pro-melt and could not have been happier. Cast 2-3 thousand on a Saturday then run them through my star sizers on Sunday. I was good to go for 4 or five months. I like my Pro-melt.

About 6 months ago, I noted the rust was getting pretty bad on the frame area that holds the pot. Considered putting a wire brush in an electric drill and scouring the the top of the frame down to bare metal and then repainting with something. Decided that was probably not my best plan as the scouring might reduce the strength of the frame holding the pot. Sure would hate to have the pot separate from the frame while in the middle of a casting session!

Anyway, based on the replies, when I see a hole in the frame, guess I pony up the $300.00 and buy another one.

Sure have liked my Pro-melt. I think I got my moneys worth!

Thanks for the replies,

Jerry

Shiloh
07-01-2010, 07:51 PM
RCBS is the Gold Standard for customer service.

SHiloh

leadman
08-07-2010, 12:02 PM
Wire brush off the loose rust, use a rust convertor from Home depot, prime and paint. If it is holding the alloy now why wait?

casterofboolits
08-07-2010, 05:46 PM
RCBS will rebuild your 10 Kilo pot at no cost to you. All it will cost is the postage to send it to them.

One of my pots has been refurbished three times since 1986!!!!! Usually the pot liner burns thru.

white eagle
08-10-2010, 01:16 PM
i just want to add to the already stellar c/s at RCBS
broke the little leaf spring thats molded into the universal priming arm
called them they are sending me one FREE
holy **** when does that happen [smilie=w:

Dale53
08-10-2010, 04:26 PM
When I bought my first electric pot, it was Lyman. It was an 11 lb. bottom pour. It gave excellent service until I decided I needed a pot with greater capacity. I figuratively "flipped a coin" trying to decide between a 20 lb Lyman or a 22 lb RCBS bottom pour pot. I ended up with an RCBS and later added another from an estate sale.

I have been SO happy to have chosen the RCBS pot. I have had the first one over thirty years and tens of thousands of bullets. I have also used the second one heavily. It is nice knowing that RCBS will be standing behind their products long after most companies would even consider doing so.

Dale53

jimkim
08-12-2010, 01:46 AM
Lets put this another way. If you find a company that stands behind it's products better than RCBS, PLEASE tell us about it. We will not hold our breath!

Dillon

Bradley
08-15-2010, 12:51 AM
I have read on this forum that RCBS will guarantee their equipment forever. I have an RCBS Pro Melt. Much used. Still works great, but has a lot of rust on the sheet metal that holds the pot. Will probably need a new one in a few years.

Mine has a date stamp. I think it sez 1986.

Does anyone know what RCBS's policy is with old equipment such as this?

Thanks,

Jerry

mine was older. When it finally broke I sent it back in and they rebuilt it. Don't remember what that cost but it wasn't all that much.

6.5 mike
08-16-2010, 07:20 PM
Had one of the older style hand priming tools I had used for 17 years finally break awhile back. Called rcbs to see about parts, was told that one was no longer made, very nice lady asked my address, week later I had a brand new model in the mail, no charge. That's why I started with rcbs & still buy their products, just ordered rcbs dies for a 7m/m tcu today.

buck1
08-16-2010, 08:00 PM
I think if its electric its covered for 5 years. That said, they keep on taking care of it anyway. GREAT FOLKS at RCBS!! Funny CCI is of the same parent co. and their cust service does not even come kinda close. In fact its just the oppsite.