PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Ever Make a Epoxy Hammer?

Suo Gan
06-25-2010, 12:59 AM
In Grennel's ABC's he talks about his epoxy hammer. Has anyone ever made one up? What type did you use?

Edubya
06-25-2010, 10:57 PM
Seems that it would be much easier and more closely aligned with our hobby/sport to make a lead cast hammer. Use up some of those zinc WW to make a couple 8 oz heads. Get a handle, use a dowel drill it perpendicularly to fit your handle. Drill a partial hole into the ends of your wooden heads and epoxy a couple of course threaded screws to a 2" head then center the cast lead head on the screws and run 'em down.

Make the dies for the heads by drilling an aluminum 1" stock 1x1" diameter (or more) or a hard wood block for lead head.

EW

HeavyMetal
06-25-2010, 11:15 PM
I always thought Grennell was talking about one of those hammers that had a rubber head on one side and a plastic head on the other.

The one I bought at Sears has removable "tips" so I can replace one if it chips or tears.

cheese1566
06-25-2010, 11:23 PM
I always thought Grennell was talking about one of those hammers that had a rubber head on one side and a plastic head on the other.

The one I bought at Sears has removable "tips" so I can replace one if it chips or tears.

I bought one of those when I first started casting instead of the wood whacker variety. Got it at Sears too. Works great.

Suo Gan
06-26-2010, 01:01 PM
No, he made it. It looks homemade, and is not one of the hard faced on one side, rubber on the other hammers.

I have two types of epoxy here. A big tube of Simpson Strong Tie stuff from building the barn, and some other industrial epoxy. I guess I might have to experiment.

Already have lead and zinc hammers.

mooman76
06-26-2010, 05:12 PM
I bought a plastick headed hammer to use. I seen someone else use one and it works great. It's only like 4 or 6 oz and solid plastic. You see them in most ant hardware store.

Reverend Recoil
06-28-2010, 08:05 PM
Wood carvers make bench hammers from rawhide dog bones. That might work for you.

Doc_Stihl
06-28-2010, 09:45 PM
I take a screw driver, bend the tip to add something for the lead to grab onto and dip it like a candle to make a hammer. Quick simple easy.

cheese1566
06-29-2010, 09:05 AM
I am thinking it would be easy enough to make. Use PVC pipe for a mold and coat with a mold release.
May have to experiment with expoxies to find one hard enough to take the slap, but not too brittle to shatter and chip.

Good luck in your adventure and keep on tinkering!!:Fire:

Coffeecup
07-06-2010, 08:09 PM
In Grennel's ABC's he talks about his epoxy hammer. Has anyone ever made one up? What type did you use?

Way back when, I wrote him about that. IIRC, he said he used some epoxy from a body shop or parts house. I tried one, but had better luck with a mallet turned from wood. Since I do most of my loading in the shop near the lathe, it is a lot more convenient for me.

mold maker
07-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Today's epoxy runs from jello to brittle like glass. They were what I used to make perminate models of, for the plastics ind. They were almost industructable. After almost 30 years and literally thousands of molds made off them, they were atill as good as new.
Most 2 part epoxies are somewhat temp.sensitive, and either extreme can cause distruction.

bearcove
07-06-2010, 09:35 PM
I don't think epoxy would be very good for a hammer. I build wood/epoxy boats and have done a bit of research on epoxy. From what I can find out they are all the same thing. Epoxy is epoxy is...

It has about the same elasticity as wood. Makes it good to bond wood structures.

But it isn't very impact resistant, You cover with a cloth like fiberglass, polyester, or kevlar to get abrasion and impact resistance.

If you want to try it I'd use saw dust and wood floor. Wood floor is saw dust from sanding,very fine. The wood fibers soak up the epoxy. Mix it to bread dough consistancy. Stir it well to make sure no dry spots. PVC with wax for a release agent should work, but you probably have to cut it off.

The wood fibers might help some with impact.

If you want some more weight add shot. They mold in ballast keels with lead or steel shot.

mack1
07-08-2010, 08:58 PM
I use to work in an aluminum windo plant they uesd a two part fill for a thurmal bairer. this made great hammers but I do not know where you would find it.