PDA

View Full Version : Richland Arms 12ga s/s (Pedersoli)

jmh54738
06-24-2010, 11:28 AM
Perhaps 35 years ago I bought this m/l new. The Deluxe, with chrome plated bores, and plum brown 28" barrels The left is .697 and the right .711. I used a telescope gauge to get into the barrel to get the smallest dia. I had it for 15 years before I shot it, it is sooo pretty. In the meanwhile I shot a Davison, New Castle on Tyne and a Belgian W. Richards. When I did shoot an embarassing round of BP trap with the Richland, I only scored 2 out of 25. Only then did I shoot it on the pattern board to discover that it shot 2 feet low. I was taking a center bead on the target with the bead right over the rib using 3 dram/ 1 1/4 oz loads. I figured that I would have to raise my sighting plane 1/4 inch at the breech to get on center. I need your help and suggestions and encouragement on this one because another ten years have slipped by w/o shooting it. Thanks.

DIRT Farmer
06-24-2010, 01:38 PM
I bought on of these for my grandson to shoot. It is a real nice gun, a bit light for compitation but a joy in the field. Try putting mole skin on thr comb to raise your line of sight. When you have the right highth, find a stock maker who can bend the wrist. Check at a local slays range they should know one.

jmh54738
06-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Yesterday I cut out a 7/16 wide by 1/4 high wooden block which I superglued on the barrel rib at the breech for a temporary repeatable aim point. I proceeded to shoot patterns at 20 yards. First using card wads over 3 drams of 2f and 1 1/4 oz of #6. The open right barrel actually shot better patterns than the choked left barrel, the patterns of which had a big hole in the center. Used a .035 overshot wad. I measured several brands of plastic wad/shotcups, finding Winchester AA the best fit (once past the choke). The patterning results were the same, all about 30 " diameter. Lastly, I shot .687 round balls which shot: left barrel, 6" left, and right barrel 6" right, elevation right on. To gain perspective I will pattern the old W. Richards 12ga, no choke, 36" barrels. If anyone is interested, I will report the results.

DIRT Farmer
06-28-2010, 01:55 PM
I am always intersted in the old guns. Some one in the house said I have to many old dirty guns. I had no idea such a problem existed! In most of my guns I use some type of fiber wad mainly to carry lube. I start with a full 1/2 inch then split it in half. some even 1/4. I have never gotten as good a patern with card wads only, just my experince. The Richland and several of the Bretta O/U guns will patern better with 13 ga wads. Try "square" loads first then try slightly less powder than shot. Some of my guns will shoot improved modified with the right load. Donuting may happen with one size shot and not others. I can't explain that either, but proves the need for a lot of patterning. My best paterns come from hard Lawrence or Black Dimond shot. That figures as the South American shot is cheeper and more avatible. I have been playing with this for over 40 years and have began to think I have no idea why, but sooner or later I find something that works. Keep it up, You may be the guy who figures it out.

DIRT Farmer
06-28-2010, 02:00 PM
JMH one more thing, I have had a real bad experince with plastic shot cups. I found WD-40 will soak out the plastic the BP melts if you soak the barrels long enough, and the patterns go South with plastic in the barrels. As for lead in the barrels from no lube, it still takes a brass brush to get the patterns back.

jmh54738
06-28-2010, 03:22 PM
ya, Farmer, I always used fiber too, then after reading the epistle on m/l shotguns by V M Star, I thought that I would try the card only method. You're right on about the plastic, with the first rinse with hot water, the strings of plastic poured from the barrel, didn't seem to stick to the shiny chrome bore. Got some wasp nests in the tractor shed, and see a big hornet's nest in a tree............
I'm getting to technical in my old age, before, I just shot the heck out of these things, now, I have to know how well they shoot and why. I guess any excuse to burn powder is a good one. With so much rain and humidity the BP fouling just turns liquid between shots.

DIRT Farmer
06-28-2010, 10:09 PM
At the June shoot a Friendship I wondered if I held the Trade Gun leval to long if water would pool in the pan. The plus was no crud ring in the bottom. Three flashes in two days of shooting though is embaressing though.

Did you ever try oversize wads in the chrome barrels? some swear by them. I wonder if the old timers shot as many times as we do now, say in compition? When I started I was told it wasen't nessary to clean the bores till you went home. I soon found out the winners cleaned their guns then some.

jmh54738
06-29-2010, 09:20 AM
Farmer, by square loads do you mean the same amount by volumne of shot and powder? If so, I am doing that, using the same dipper for both. Just weighed a scoop of 2f at 86 grains. If 12ga is .729, all of my guns are 13 ga at .715 and stamped 18 (mm) = ..716. My Alcan & Herters wads are .740 so I don't think i could use a larger wad. When I begin to load, I pop the filler wad in my mouth and masticate the periphery (using big words here), so the wad is spit lubed and rendered to a precision diameter for loading My shot is Lawrence from when it was $5.20 per bag (25 lb........20 cents was tax). I looked at Circle Fly's chart and their 13 ga wads measure .720. At the m/l rifle shoot at our club, i'm the only guy cleaning between each shot, I won! I watched these powder pellets, used by some, actually impact the target (25 yds) and leave a spiral smoke trail on their way there. I couldn't decide whether they were using tracers or if they want to shoot and roast the game at the same time. I remember picking up several one pound cans of powder an Friendship and the guy said he had kegs in the truck, so I got the 25 lb keg ..........$25

DIRT Farmer
06-29-2010, 04:37 PM
JMH, been around for a while eh. Yes square is equal volume to the bore. I load less in several guns as I don't handle recoil well. my favorite 10 ga load for clays is 1 oz with a 7/8 dipper of ffg 1 card 1/2 fiber and over shot. It will break any clay I'm on.

Even though I use Black, the idea of the pellets streaking across the field is intersting. That would be great for night shoots.

The different wads will change paterns, I have never used hornet nest but may have to find one this fall.

Abert Rim
11-19-2011, 10:38 AM
JMH: You still shooting your Richland Pedersoli? I ask because I just bought one in very nice condition. Haven't shot it yet, but wow is it light and handy, and the inletting is virtually perfect. I don't envision shooting heavy loads in it, but it should do very good work on grouse once I pattern it, I'm thinking.

DIRT Farmer
11-19-2011, 11:47 PM
Albert, the gun handles fast, I think for wood cock in thick brush it would be great.

Abert Rim
11-20-2011, 03:39 PM
DF: Fast would be my take, too. Very light and responsive. In fact, at first I thought it had to be a 20.