PDA

View Full Version : Just burning up some AL-8

Jack Stanley
08-15-2006, 08:49 PM
Finally got a minute to load up some bullets I'd cast many years ago . If I remember right they came from a NEI mold , looks to be about forty-five grain with a couple lube grooves ... I'll try and remember to look up the number . I squirted a little tumble lube on them and seated the gas check on the RCBS press . Next time I have a LEE die for lube and size but for now they work .
This can of AL-8 has been around here forever and I've been using it for reduced 30-30 loads with Jacketed slugs in a single shot . In the .223 case for this job I used five grains using a LEE scoop . Have some Remington bench rest primers leftover from a trade and put it together to touch the lands of the 788 .

Shot just enough of them to re-sight the rifle from the last batch of barn loads it was using . It shot pretty well with them too , I might hafta use this one a little more :-D Velocity ? I don't have a clue . When time permits I may get the chony out and see .

Jack

Buckshot
08-18-2006, 03:53 AM
..............I had some AL-8. Sure worked good in the 30 Mi Carbine and the 38 Super. That was way long ago!

...............Buckshot

Four Fingers of Death
08-18-2006, 04:40 AM
Didn't you use the 38 Super in a rifle Buckshot? PS, I still haven't figured out who the guy in the glasses and vest in the photo with you us. Mick.

RayinNH
08-20-2006, 09:49 AM
It has a nice sweet smell to it when it burns. I still have some .45 Colt shells loaded with it. I should have gotten more when I bought it from Bartlett about 6-7 years ago...Ray

BCB
08-20-2006, 10:44 AM
Yep, I got some about a half dozen years ago and it works real well in th 357 Magnum and 38 Special using the 358429 slugs. Between 1100 and 1150 fps for the 357 and between 550 and 650 fps in the 38 Special. Doesn't meter very well though...BCB

Buckshot
08-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Didn't you use the 38 Super in a rifle Buckshot?
PS, I still haven't figured out who the guy in the glasses and vest in the photo with you us. Mick.

You're a funny man :-o I had a Spanish Destroyer carbine in 9mm Largo, but it would sure handle 38 Super loads. In fact I had some pretty dang close to 357 mag :-)

..............Buckshot

Jack Stanley
09-12-2006, 09:33 PM
I got to scrounging around in the dungeon and found the mold muber for this little NEI . It's 45.224 GC , got a bit of a flat point on it and so far the little bit I've used it seems to be a good bullet . Might be fun to take it out and try it on red squirrels :Fire:

Jack