PDA

View Full Version : Rossi Wizard

Tom-ADC
06-23-2010, 08:52 PM
New American Rifleman has a nice article on the new Rossi Wizard, kind of a H&R type with 21 different barrels available, may have to look into one of these in 45-70 and maybe 22-250...

cajun shooter
06-23-2010, 11:05 PM
The H&R Buffalo Classic that I had with 32inch bbl was a real shooter in 45-70. Sorry that I sold it. Later David

wellfedirishman
07-11-2010, 01:03 AM
Does anyone know if the NEF/H&R barrels and Rossi Wizard barrels are interchangeable? From the pics, the frame attachment looks similar.

I know that the NEFs are 'officially' not interchangeable between frames, but I have several that fit perfectly on my SB2 frame that I purchased from GBO Forum.

John Boy
07-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Does anyone know if the NEF/H&R barrels and Rossi Wizard barrels are interchangeable?
Sure, any gunsmith's modification is doable with a qualified gunsmith and YOUR Money!
But why do it? The receiver platform, connection lug and locking configuration are different. Look at the rifle differences yourself - First! Seems to me your question to be a SWAG out of the blue and if done, just an excercise!

John Boy
07-11-2010, 11:30 AM
The H&R Buffalo Classic that I had with 32inch bbl was a real shooter in 45-70. Sorry that I sold it.
David, you are so correct. My 1st BPCR was my BC. On my very 1st maiden range trip as a BPCR shooter, at 600yds, the rifle produced a 7" x 2 1/4 five shot group with 3 holes that could be covered by a silver dollar. Had 2 witnesses so the group is not just Internet Hype!

I'm firmly convinced that if the Buffalo Classics were NRA approved for matches, there would be winners names in the Top 10 who used them. Plus there would be more folks getting into the sport, precluded now having to buy high end rifles with sights costing several hundred dollars.

And for the NRA position that the rifle is not an era correct ... look at a Wurfflein and the H&R/NEF. They both have the same similar receiver platform and an external hammer. Wurfflein's are NRA approved!
http://www.pbase.com/halp/image/37335785
http://www.pbase.com/halp/image/37335776

leadman
07-11-2010, 01:03 PM
I have tried to help several folks at the range sight in a Rossi. Even at 50 yards the groups were so inconsistent that it was a guess as to what adjustment was needed. These were not Wizards but the packages Rossi sells with several barrels.

I have heard reports that the barrels are very rough internally, but never inspected one close enough to say one way or the other. You get what you pay for I guess.

If someone buys one please post the shooting results so we have facts.

singleshot
07-11-2010, 05:38 PM
I have a Rossi Trifecta Youth on order for my daughter. 22 lr, 20 ga, and 44 mag.

I've heard lots of complains from the 243, but have only heard good things so far about the 22lr and 44mag.

I'll post results when it comes in. Should be able to test in about 2 weeks.

lylejb
07-11-2010, 07:09 PM
I have a Rossi Trifecta Youth on order for my daughter. 22 lr, 20 ga, and 44 mag.

I've heard lots of complains from the 243, but have only heard good things so far about the 22lr and 44mag.

I'll post results when it comes in. Should be able to test in about 2 weeks.

I recently got my son a rossi .410 / 22 lr youth combo set. I've had a couple of suprises.

First, his has the black plastic stock, which is hollow, with a hard plastic butt plate (think BB gun stock). I didn't think about it at the time, but with no weight and nothing to absorb any recoil, this thing kicks as hard, and sharper, than my browning 12 ga. NO JOKE. Our first trip out with it, he fired about 6 shots and didn't want to shoot it anymore. We've since added a recoil pad, and i'm thinking about adding a pound or so lead inside the stock.

second, looking down the 22 barrel's bore, there's some sort of irregularity at the points it was drilled for sites. I don't think it was drilled through, but close enough you can see a distortion in the rifling at these points. It doesn't lead, and still shoots better than he can, so i guess it serves it's purpose.

third, the hammer spring is seriously, way too stiff. I know shotgun primers are harder / thicker / tougher, but this is nuts. Half this spring would be plenty. He can only cock it about twice before I have to start cocking it for him.

All in all, I think I got what I paid for, but not much else.

wellfedirishman
07-11-2010, 11:21 PM
Sure, any gunsmith's modification is doable with a qualified gunsmith and YOUR Money!
But why do it? The receiver platform, connection lug and locking configuration are different. Look at the rifle differences yourself - First! Seems to me your question to be a SWAG out of the blue and if done, just an excercise!

I think you may have misunderstood my question a little. The question was 'are they interchangeable?'. Not 'can I get a gunsmith to do it for me?'.

For example, Bergara barrels makes barrels that fit the TC Encore. If Rossi was smart, they would use the same widely accepted system that NEF does. They would sell a lot more barrels that way.

Apparently from the answer above, they are different. That is the answer I was looking for.

John Boy
07-12-2010, 01:28 AM
The question was 'are they interchangeable?'.
No, not to my knowledge

cajun shooter
07-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Leadman, My H&R BC had a very smooth bbl that shot perfect from the box. The stock sights are the down fall and not the bbl. I installed a set of Marble's adjustable tang sights on mine and it would shoot with the best of them. I purchased a Pedersoli Competition model that had a chemical oil in it that took three days of cleaning to correct. The bbl is good now and will shoot one ragged hole groups at 100 yds. John boy I agree and I think that the gun is period correct but you have people who will never allow that gun to enter. They have people who don't want Pedersoli rifles either.

singleshot
07-17-2010, 06:21 PM
I recently got my son a rossi .410 / 22 lr youth combo set. I've had a couple of suprises.

First, his has the black plastic stock, which is hollow, with a hard plastic butt plate (think BB gun stock). I didn't think about it at the time, but with no weight and nothing to absorb any recoil, this thing kicks as hard, and sharper, than my browning 12 ga. NO JOKE. Our first trip out with it, he fired about 6 shots and didn't want to shoot it anymore. We've since added a recoil pad, and i'm thinking about adding a pound or so lead inside the stock.

second, looking down the 22 barrel's bore, there's some sort of irregularity at the points it was drilled for sites. I don't think it was drilled through, but close enough you can see a distortion in the rifling at these points. It doesn't lead, and still shoots better than he can, so i guess it serves it's purpose.

third, the hammer spring is seriously, way too stiff. I know shotgun primers are harder / thicker / tougher, but this is nuts. Half this spring would be plenty. He can only cock it about twice before I have to start cocking it for him.

I was able to inspect and handle the model they had in the store. The construction was quite different than the one you received. There was a "standard" rubber recoil pad and the stock felt pretty solid.

I'll head down and take another look at the tap for the scope though, don't remember noting how it was tapped. Had a Russion M91 that you could see the machine work for the front sight on the inside of the barrel...was not impressed with that workmanship to say the least.

Called to check the status on the order, should be in next week. Still planning to post results.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Gee_Wizz01
07-17-2010, 07:15 PM

My 90 year old Dad was looking for .410 for varmint control in his fruit trees and pecan trees. He has trouble lifting anything with his right hand, so he wanted a light shotgun. I bought a him Rossi .410/.22 thinking it would be perfect. He has killed some squirrels and marauding birds and 2 raccoons with it. He complained about how bad it kicked, but I kind of ignored him. Last month I used it to shoot some squirrels out of the pear trees, and I must admit it has a nasty little kick to it. Dad had a big blue bruise on his shoulder. I am now looking for a slip on pad to fit it. I haven't tried the .22 barrel.

G

leadman
07-19-2010, 01:33 AM
Cajun Shooter, I was commenting on a Rossi, not an H&R. I have had many H&Rs and have had various issues with some.
Had a heavy barrel, laminated stock NEF in 223 that you had to use a cleaning rod to get the case out of the chamber, even with factory ammo. It was extremely rough, looked like they used a resharpened drill bit to finish it. The rifling wasn't too bad and it shot decent.

Finally sold it after polishing up the chamber. This was an extracter barrel, never had that problem with an ejector barrel.

singleshot
07-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Ok, finally got the Rossi Trifecta. When I picked it up, I had the dealer fire a round through each barrel, mainly to verify there were no functionality problems, like weak firing pin etc. The guy came back and said, "wow, that 20 ga really gave me a rap, but the 44 mag wasn't too bad."

Have only had a chance to fire the 22 barrel, and so far am very pleased overall. Good shooter, very accurate. My only mild complaint is with sight adjustment...very hard to get it right where you want it.

The 44 mag barrel came with a standard scope rail, which seems pretty darn sturdy. The 22 barrel is tapped for scope rings which I'll probably never use.

All-in-all, I'd say it's worth the $ I paid. Can post 44 mag and 20 ga results when I get around to shooting them...

I really like the fact that the whole thing breaks down into the carrying case with plenty of room for ammo. Nice "handy" package. :bigsmyl2:

kaylorinhi
08-20-2011, 09:51 AM
I have been watching a few forums and am wondering if anybody else has more recent range time with any of the Rossi products particularly the Wizards as it interests me the most as a Surv/BUG/Truck Gun.

buck1
08-20-2011, 11:26 AM
My son has the youth .243 / 20GA. I would not get it again. The gun seems hyper sencitive to hold.

rbstern
09-15-2011, 03:08 PM
I have been watching a few forums and am wondering if anybody else has more recent range time with any of the Rossi products particularly the Wizards as it interests me the most as a Surv/BUG/Truck Gun.

The 22lr/20ga youth combo model was my son's first squirrel rifle. It's been in the family for about 5 years now.

We've put a lot of rounds through the 22lr. It's the "go to" rifle for training newbie shooters because of how safe a design it is. We occassionally use the 20ga barrel to break clays. It kicks a bit when shooting 20ga. I slip a recoil pad on it for recoil sensitive folks.

Likes: Simple and safe. Reliable. Fiber optic sites. Accurate within reasonable limits (we shoot it without a scope). Breaks down in 15 seconds without tools. Very light and packable, easily fits in a backpack.

Dislikes: Front site fiber optic is vulnerable to damage. Wish it had the flexibility of the Wizard.

Throckmorton
09-23-2011, 04:10 PM
I bought a Wizard a while back and would not reccomend it to my worst enemy. well,maybe him but no one else.
Mine is .223 and it's driving me nuts trying to get a group with it at 50 yards. I"ve trried 5 kinds of factory fodder,and many many reload recipe's.It shoots 2 together and one 2" or so out now and then,but that is on a good day.
The foreneds are VERY hard to get off..design stupidity,the round hole in the forend does not fit over the 'bulb' on the end of the barrel stud,I was about to get a pry bar when it FINALLY came off.
Oh,and my transfer bar fell out after the 1st 50 rounds,sent it back and they fixed it,but geeeze,50 rounds??

since I have some bulllets to shoot up,I bought a different scope for it,and next week is it,it either shoots or gets sold off...CHEAP.

Tom-ADC
09-24-2011, 10:52 AM
After reading some of the post I did settle on a H&R Buffalo classic in 38-55.
Looking like Rossi has a lot of work to do.

Throckmorton
10-03-2011, 12:53 PM
I believe u made a very good decision there,the buff classics are very good shooters.

helice
10-13-2011, 02:00 AM
I picked up a Rossi 44 Mag single shot a few years ago from CDNN. It's a stainless model with a black painted wood stock. That got sanded down to reveal why it was painted black. The ugliest piece of wood I've seen on steel.
My first shoots were 240 J-words at 50 yards. Every one of them keyholed at least the ones that hit the target. With fat lead slugs it does pretty well though so I've kept it. I couldn't sell this to the unsuspecting public anyway. Of late I mounted a 4x scope. We'll see!!?

Ashdavely
10-20-2011, 10:00 PM
I purchased a Wizard in 223 and had a chance to test it out today. I was using a Simmons 4x scope shooting at 50 yards. I was probably getting 2" groups with jacketed 55gr bullets but I am partially blaming the scope and mounts.

I also tried a 7.62x39 barrel on the Wizard. Some rounds would FTF (not fire), the hammer would fall and the primer would have an indentation but no bang. Sometimes a second attempt would work, but on a few rounds no luck. This happened on about 25% of my rounds. My ammunition was handloaded using Winchester brass and CCI No. 200 primers. I also tried some Wolf ammunition just as a test. All FTF on the first try but worked the second time. I knew Wolf had hard primers and expected them to fail the first time. The accuracy was not terrible, some 1" groups and some 2" groups. I did not have any FTF issues with my 223 reloads.

Additionally the 7.62x39 barrel would not completely extract the spent rounds from the chamber. It would lift them out far enough to grab with my fingers while the 223 barrel would correctly pop them completely out. It appears the 7.62x39 barrel (and receiver) will probably be making a trip for service. I'm hoping these issues can be resolved as the 7.62x39 barrel was my purpose for buying the wizard in the first place.

There were a few other things of significance about the Wizard. It has a plastic trigger guard and sights. Mine had a very light trigger pull, probably 2 lbs. The wood stock did not appear to have any kind of sealant on it. It was just flat stained wood. If I get the FTF issues resolved it will probably put a few light coats of tru-oil on it.

Someone here had mentioned having trouble removing the front grip, I didn't have this problem. It was pretty easy to pull off.

calkar
10-21-2011, 09:16 AM
Rossi's do not completely eject like a Handi rifle. I had to do a chamber cast, custom fit the brass and fire lap the bore/throat and then my GF's Rossi .243 is still just a 1 1/2 m.o.a rifle. For the $200 I paid for it Im happy. The throats are huge and rough. You must enjoy tinkering to get the most out of a Rossi. I know if she would shoot the 20g barrel once she would never fire it again, so that barrel is just for decoration. It kicks like a mule.

tacklebury
10-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Ashdavely: Make sure you pull the trigger completely to the rear. Many times the FTF is because the transfer bar isn't completely up in position. This is quite common on H&R's too with light triggers. It seems counter intuitive for groups, but you have to get used to following through on your trigger squeeze with this style hammer-bar system. ;)