PDA

View Full Version : Smelting Questions ....

riverwalker76
06-23-2010, 08:50 PM
I picked up a cast iron skillet and muffin pans from a guy this morning in anticipation of learning how to smelt lead.

I have a couple of old aluminum serving spoons, cast iron skillet, and some sheet lead. WHat else do I need to smelt lead?

I will be doing it outside with a good crosswind, so no worries there.

Could someone please explain the process to me?

clodhopper
06-23-2010, 10:01 PM
Wear long sleaves and pants, shoes need to cover your feet.
Leather, cotton or wool, no synthectic clothing.
Put the lead in the pan.
Apply heat.
When the lead becomes liquid, stir in some flux. (flux can be almost any material that burns and frees carbon. sawdust, pariffin, beeswax, grease, motor oil, cats, ect, ect)
With your spoon scrape the ashes and other stuff off the top of the moulten lead and discard.
Pour the lead into the ingot mould (muffin pan)
Let it cool.
Dump out ingot and repeat.
It's really simple so have fun.

sagacious
06-23-2010, 10:10 PM
You need eye protection and the understanding that it must be worn at all times around molten lead.

Eventually you may wish to get a pot deeper than your skillet.

Good luck, and stay safe.

imashooter2
06-23-2010, 10:49 PM
Do not lift the skillet and attempt to pour from the lip. Lead is heavy. There is huge potential to lose control and spill the melted lead. Use the large spoons or buy a cheap stainless ladle to move the lead to the molds.

What is your heat source?

clodhopper
06-23-2010, 10:51 PM
Thanks sagacious for that eye protection reminder.
Also, make sure anything you put in moulten lead is water free, to avoid steam explosion. If your lead is wet you can put it in an empty pan and the water will evaporate before the lead melts.

44fanatic
06-23-2010, 11:22 PM
The tools I use for smelting are a large gravey ladle (pours a little over 1lb when 1/4" below being full), big spoon, a big slotted spoon, and have started using one of the screened type dippers. If have found the dipper is great for getting the clips out...oh yeah, a wooden stick, usually a paint stirrer, walmart has some that are about 24" long.

Using the gravey ladle to pour ingots, I have found that a deeper pot with more lead in it helps. Must have a steady and sturdy burner for this. When I get near the bottom of the pot, I use another ladle to ladle lead into my ladle (say that 3 times) and when done, leave about 1/2" of lead to cool and prime the pot for the next smelting session. Have also found out that this "priming" lead can be dropped out easily enough if I am switching between types of lead I am smelting (WW, SO or range scrap)

Will use either leather gloves or welders gloves while smelting. Welders gloves come in handy when dropping the ingots from the pan and you have to move them...leather gloves seem to hold the heat for a short while and burn your fingers when picking up a hot ingot.

riverwalker76
06-24-2010, 12:00 AM
I guess I'll get a propane outdoor fish fryer type burner and use that as my heat source.

Here is one of my main concerns .....

~How do I know if I'm fluxing the tin or antimony out?

~ Is there a difference in consistency from the junk and the good stuff?

I remember back in my weight casting days I would always skim off anything that came to the top. Now I've understood that this is not always the best idea.

Muddy Creek Sam
06-24-2010, 12:06 AM
I wear two pairs of gloves, outside ones are leather.

Sam :D

sagacious
06-24-2010, 04:41 AM
~How do I know if I'm fluxing the tin or antimony out?

~ Is there a difference in consistency from the junk and the good stuff?

I remember back in my weight casting days I would always skim off anything that came to the top. Now I've understood that this is not always the best idea.
Fluxing returns the Sb+Sn to the melt, and does not take it out. Not fluxing the melt, and instead skimming off the floating slush is one way to reduce the alloy content. You're right about that not being the best practice.

Read up on fluxing. What you need to know is here:
http://www.lasc.us/FryxellFluxing.htm

Good luck.

myg30
06-26-2010, 10:38 PM
Riverwalker76, Ya might want to keep a pair of vice grips handy, when you go to pour with that skillet, the grips will give you more stable hold for two handed pour. I use a cast iron pot and still need the vice grips. That handle gets HOT !!
Good to meet ya Brother. Be safe. Great bunch of guys here !

Mike