PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Clean Rust Out Of ....

riverwalker76
06-23-2010, 08:47 PM
I bought a Lee Production Pot IV from a guy at the Flea Market this morning for $10. I also got a few cast iron muffin pans and an iron skillet from him for smelting for another $10.

The problem is .... all of this stuff is rusty inside. I know how to season cast iron, but what do I need to do to the inside of the pot on the Lee melter to get the rust out? I knew it was salvageable, and thought I'd ask how to clean it up from you all.

Thanks

GT27
06-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Naval Jelly at your local auto parts...

riverwalker76
06-23-2010, 09:12 PM
Naval Jelly at your local auto parts...

This is just a thin film of rust. It's not the deep pitting rust that you might think. Could I use a Brillo pad or steel wool to get it out?

dragonrider
06-23-2010, 09:45 PM
Brillo pad, steel wool, sandpaper, sand/bead blasting. Most anything will get it out. The hot lead won't know the difference.

mooman76
06-23-2010, 10:59 PM
I wouldn't worry about it myself. The loose rust will float to the top and be skimmed away. It won't hurt a thing and the pot will get some rust on it with use anyway. I keep my pot filled when finished.

Mk42gunner
06-23-2010, 11:22 PM
I wouldn't worry about it myself. The loose rust will float to the top and be skimmed away. It won't hurt a thing and the pot will get some rust on it with use anyway. I keep my pot filled when finished.

I'm with Mooman on this one. You could scrape any loose rust out with a screwdriver; then when you flux the melted lead, any that you miss will float to the top.

As far as your ingot molds go; the rust will act as a mold release, allowing the ingots to pop out easier.

Robert

riverwalker76
06-23-2010, 11:49 PM
Sounds good. I thought I'd go ahead and ask the questions now instead of waiting until the last minute. I probably won't do any smelting until the weather cools off some anyway.

Thanks for the advice.

DLCTEX
06-25-2010, 07:34 AM
Use the citric acid solution in the shooting thread and then scrub with a plastic pot scrubber.

WHITETAIL
06-30-2010, 07:50 AM
I would just start with a brillo pad.
No need to get it spotles.
Just clean it with hot soap and water
and a brillo pad.
Then put it over a good heat and get it hot so to dry thoroughly.:lol:

Shiloh
07-01-2010, 07:42 PM
This is just a thin film of rust. It's not the deep pitting rust that you might think. Could I use a Brillo pad or steel wool to get it out?

That is what I would do. A stiff wire prush would work well. The grill brush I have is curved at the front so it would reach and work on the bottom of the pot.

Shiloh

MtGun44
07-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Leave rust in the ingot molds, it prevents sticking. If you clean them you will
be sorry.

Bill

oldtoolsniper
07-10-2010, 07:51 AM
Leave it in the pot and cast away! The rust will float to the top.