PDA

View Full Version : Ms. Wage's Pickles!!!!!

EMC45
06-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Got a packet the other day from my Dad and gave it a go. My Dad also gave me some cukes 10-12 in.!! I cut them into spears and packed them in the gallon jar and poured all the briny goodness upon them. Had to top the jar off with tap water and some vinegar to get full coverage. Let them sit for a few days and I just ate one.....WOW!!! They are TART!!!! The wife tried one last night (a piece about 1 inch long) and she spit it in the trash! The kids (4 and 7) ate one about 3 inches each and they loved it! I went out in my garden and found 5 massive cukes! Cut up 3 of them into hamburger chips and added them to the brine! Bring on the burgers!!!

Hickory
06-23-2010, 07:55 PM
I wish I had a dollar for every time I got a spankin for
getting in the pickles and sour crout when I was a kid.

I miss my mom and her sour crout, but not the spankin's.

EMC45
06-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Gotta love some Kraut! The tarter the better!!! The most tart I have found is Kroger brand! It actually started to eat the aluminum foil I covered the can with!

hoosierlogger
06-23-2010, 09:15 PM
The Mrs Wages salsa mix is really good. That stupid tomato blight didn't let the garden yield many tomatoes last year. I am hoping it does better this year.

frankenfab
06-23-2010, 09:24 PM
I knew a lady who made squash pickles with Ms. Wages. They were outa sight!!

hoosierlogger
06-23-2010, 09:45 PM
Now pickled some green beans last year. They werent bad at all.

reloader28
06-24-2010, 08:58 AM
You went out and got 5 cukes from the garden? You got to be kidding me.

Around here, everybody just got done planting. We finished up last night for crying out loud. Been a cold spring.

scrapcan
06-24-2010, 10:43 AM
reloader28 I know what you are talking about, we finished about a week ago and we are in the far SE part of the state.

Everyone else,

That brine solution makes a pretty good pickled egg also.

EMC45
06-24-2010, 10:50 AM
You went out and got 5 cukes from the garden? You got to be kidding me.

Around here, everybody just got done planting. We finished up last night for crying out loud. Been a cold spring.

Heck, my garden is late! My Dad already has tomatoes, cukes, Eggplant, peppers etc. My okra is putting out (not quite ready yet) and I look forward to picking them!

MT Gianni
06-25-2010, 08:30 PM
Put a couple of garlic cloves and pearl onions in the bottom next time. Good eats.

EMC45
06-26-2010, 07:24 AM
MT...next batch will get garlic cloves in it. Got a couple cukes growing outside nicely...

Changeling
06-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Where do you guys get "Ms Wage's mix"? Does it explain how to make pickles? I really like Dill, pickles and "Salsa".

hoosierlogger
06-26-2010, 06:49 PM
I dont know if you have a Kroger grocery store near you, but they carry it at my local store.

Marvin S
06-26-2010, 07:50 PM
There is a refrigerator mix also that works well without having to hot process the cukes.

Old Goat Keeper
06-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Most any food store/super market handles Mrs. wage's products Changeling. I know WalMart has it in their canning section.

Tom

Where do you guys get "Ms Wage's mix"? Does it explain how to make pickles? I really like Dill, pickles and "Salsa".

Old Goat Keeper
06-26-2010, 09:19 PM
Iffen you likes that store bought stuff try makin your own. Not hard to do and once you tasted good homemade you NEVER go back to store bought!

Tom

Gotta love some Kraut! The tarter the better!!! The most tart I have found is Kroger brand! It actually started to eat the aluminum foil I covered the can with!

deerslayer
06-29-2010, 10:26 PM
+1 on the Mrs. Wages but stay away from the ball mixes they suck IMHO

EMC45
06-30-2010, 01:28 PM

My Dad has the same opinion on the Ball variety.

Changeling
06-30-2010, 07:03 PM
My Dad has the same opinion on the Ball variety.

Well, that seems to be about a unanimous decision on the "Ball" stuff, it seems everybody that has made pickles (talked to elsewhere) or anything else has very little in a positive way to say about Ball, can't understand it since they are such a big name.

deerslayer
07-01-2010, 12:15 AM
Their jars and lids and even the ball blue book have been canning staples at my house for years. But they should have stopped there, everyone of their mixes I have tried has sucked. We just dumped some of the salsa of theirs we made five years ago when we ran out of Mrs. Wages. It sat that long and no one would eat it. LOL

Changeling
07-03-2010, 07:36 PM

You got that right. My X made some from the "Ball canning book", worst I have ever tasted. I thought it was just her, but then the neighbor told us the same thing.