PDA

View Full Version : new casting vibrater

jbunny
06-23-2010, 06:35 PM
here are pics of my new casting vibrater useing a old sears hair clipper.
i added a end plate and remounted the clipper horizontal.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/MOUICH/castingvibrater.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/MOUICH/castingvibrater3.jpg
in this pic, i added a small spring to the clipper cutter arm. this realy made it vibrate.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/MOUICH/castingvibrater2.jpg
in this pic , the salvaged industrial limit switch is just what the doc ordered. as i am
comeing to the mould with a laddle of melt, i slide the mould forward and the vabrater
comes on, when i pull or take the mould off the vibrater stops. it realy works slick
and better yet the bullets are perfect and they really shoot. i just came back from the range and am well pleased . i was pushing the bullits at MACH 2.1 with 27 grain
of H110, bullit was lyman 429421. in this next pic are the bullits that i cast last
night. the look like modern chess board knights or HI OOO SILVER. hehehe
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/MOUICH/castingvibrater4.jpg

Suo Gan
06-25-2010, 01:09 AM
Your vibrator must be working pretty good "Cuz, they don look like any 429421's I ever seen!" I guess it is the special nose with the big lube groove that helps them get to 2400 fps. What ya load em in? It would be pretty cool to shoot two of them facing each other at 4000 fps. Now the wind from that would kill an elk from a mile off.

jbunny
06-25-2010, 03:45 AM
Your vibrator must be working pretty good "Cuz, they don look like any 429421's I ever seen!" I guess it is the special nose with the big lube groove that helps them get to 2400 fps. What ya load em in? It would be pretty cool to shoot two of them facing each other at 4000 fps. Now the wind from that would kill an elk from a mile off.
LOL. 44 mag with LR primers. i havem't cut the sprues on the bullits yet.
i converted a lyman mould to a nose pour.
jb

Suo Gan
06-25-2010, 11:14 AM
How do you cut the sprue? Did you just screw a plate on the top...to make it the bottom of the mold? I bet a guy like you has a custom toaster, a one piece at a time Cadillac, and a Stepford Wife? It is pretty interesting.

Suo Gan
06-25-2010, 11:20 AM
Bunny, I am friend requesting you. I am pretty sure a guy like you would be interesting to have around!

jbunny
06-25-2010, 06:01 PM
i had a fellow on gunnutz ask what exacttly does this thing do??
i told him that my wife and i sit on it while haveing sex. on the serious side,
this is a pic of 4 bullets fron a cold mould ww lead. i picked the bullets up with
my bare hands within 5 seconds after droping from the mould to cut the sprues
off. a converted lyman mould to nose pour, no sprue cutter. notice np wrinkles,
perfect bullits from the start. no need to have frosted bullits and lead smeers
on the mould top. u get the picture. same reason u use a vibrater when pouring
concrete.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/MOUICH/coldmouldbullets.jpg

AbitNutz
06-25-2010, 06:17 PM
Ok, is there a commercial vibrator I could use? There is no way to Google for a vibrator...you can imagine what your results set are.

Doc Highwall
06-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Neat, I have to make one of these`for my melting set up.

jbunny
06-25-2010, 06:45 PM
Ok, is there a commercial vibrator I could use? There is no way to Google for a vibrator...you can imagine what your results set are.

cowward: dental mechanics use casting vibraters, people that make custom ear moulds. do google on casting vibraters. it would be easy to put some kind of
micro or limit switch like i did. to the other questions, read my post, not just the pics.
Jb

Suo Gan
06-25-2010, 08:27 PM
Okay, how the heck does the limit switch work (in laymans terms)? Does it just sense your hand there with the mold by infrared heat receptors or some other really simple thing? Pretend I am a fourth grader.

When you get up to it, I would like to order a casting robot that looks like Jennifer Anniston. Now that that would be a fulfilling hobby!

I still don't get how you cut the sprue off without tweaking the boolit.

Suo Gan
06-25-2010, 08:33 PM
i had a fellow on gunnutz ask what exacttly does this thing do??
i told him that my wife and i sit on it while haveing sex. on the serious side,
this is a pic of 4 bullets fron a cold mould ww lead. i picked the bullets up with
my bare hands within 5 seconds after droping from the mould to cut the sprues
off. a converted lyman mould to nose pour, no sprue cutter. notice np wrinkles,
perfect bullits from the start. no need to have frosted bullits and lead smeers
on the mould top. u get the picture. same reason u use a vibrater when pouring
concrete.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/MOUICH/coldmouldbullets.jpg

I get that. What do they weigh compared to an unvibed model? I would think that internal voids would be cut down too. Why the heck isn't Lyman selling one? You know you could sell these don't you?

wallenba
06-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Would an old electric razor work? Or how about one of those cheap electric etching pencils for metal?

P.S. neatest thing I've seen in a while, gonna keep an eye out for follow-ups.

jbunny
06-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Okay, how the heck does the limit switch work (in laymans terms)? Does it just sense your hand there with the mold by infrared heat receptors or some other really simple thing? Pretend I am a fourth grader.

When you get up to it, I would like to order a casting robot that looks like Jennifer Anniston. Now that that would be a fulfilling hobby!

I still don't get how you cut the sprue off without tweaking the boolit.
first post, the pic with the wire cumming up the side and bent and across the top.
these have normaly open and normaly closed contacts. this is hooked up so when i push the mould foward it pushes the wire and turns the vibrater on, just like a light switch. the side cutter pic, u guess wich one will cut flush.. the mould, this was my prototype. next ones will have a bottom on both halves.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/MOUICH/modifiedsidecutters.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/MOUICH/nosepourbulletmould.jpg

jbunny
06-25-2010, 09:20 PM
Would an old electric razor work? Or how about one of those cheap electric etching pencils for metal?

P.S. neatest thing I've seen in a while, gonna keep an eye out for follow-ups.
anything that vibrates. labs use them, jewlers and sex shops, hehehehehe
jb

RP
06-25-2010, 09:29 PM
interesting I was thinking about that same thing the other day to help with fill out and voids. Now I know it works I may have to press on with something. I use a bottom pour and was going to attach something to the mold rest I made for it. I wonder how my pot vibrating will effect anything was hoping it keep the trash floating to the top.

jbunny
06-25-2010, 09:44 PM
interesting I was thinking about that same thing the other day to help with fill out and voids. Now I know it works I may have to press on with something. I use a bottom pour and was going to attach something to the mold rest I made for it. I wonder how my pot vibrating will effect anything was hoping it keep the trash floating to the top.
it will work however how long will ur pot last??? me thinks that a red hot heating
element being vibrated is like a bump to a lighted light bulb, poof, gone.
i could be wrong.
jb

Doc Highwall
06-25-2010, 11:33 PM
How about making a support for the mould and attaching it to the support independent of the pot.

AbitNutz
06-26-2010, 12:44 PM
All of the vibrators I found (that I would find useful for this purpose) almost look like a digital scale. It would likely sit very well right under my RCBS Promelt except they all have a rubber top. I'd have to figure out how to insulate that from the mold. It actually might work well as a mold shelf. Assuming I don't set fire to it.

http://www.canyonstatedentalsupply.com/whip_mix_equipment.htm

The smaller one is 5.5" long, 5.5" wide and 3" high and goes for $71.00. Other models are catastrophically priced.

Suo Gan
06-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Bunny, I don't know if you're up to it, but it would be neat to see a scientific experiment using jiggled boolits as compared to not jiggled. Maybe weigh and cross section said boolits. I also want to be clear about something else. Does the vibrator shake the mold as you are filling it? Or do you do it directly after, while the boolits are still mostly molten?

Also do you cast zinc boolits in the other half of your mold?

AbitNutz
06-27-2010, 01:35 PM
I have an idea I may try...one of those little Black & Decker mouse sanders. I have one and never really used it. It puts out a high speed vibration. I could strap it to a piece of copper or aluminum.

AbitNutz
06-27-2010, 04:47 PM
So the B&D mouse sander vibrates. I can strap it to an aluminum or copper sheet or pan. It does transmit the vibration through it. The vibration is very high frequency and I can certainly feel it through my fingers but it is certainly not huge. I can't imagine there being any problems with holding a mold on it without it bouncing around.

I'm thinking I could easily make a frame with some synthetic stripping and mount the aluminum to it and strap the mouse to the sheet upside down underneath it.

I guess there's just no good way to tell if it's too little vibration except by judging to see if "I think" there's a difference.

AbitNutz
06-28-2010, 05:50 PM
I saw a vibrating motor at Granger designed for a strap mount they sell. The price is reasonable and it would be easy to make a vibrating mold rest.

There is one thing that really concerns me. This motor is 3-5/16th in diameter and shipping weight is 3lbs. The RPM range is 1400 to 1800. Am I right in thinking that this is a VERY POWERFUL motor and it would cause way too much vibration?

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2PUX4?cm_mmc=Google%20Base-_-Motors-_-Definite%20Purpose%20Motors-_-2PUX4

jbunny
06-28-2010, 07:14 PM
wire a light bulb socket in series to the motor if u get to much vibration. by
changeing the bulb wattage u change the speed. thats a cheeper way than buying
a motor speed control. another way is to shave some of the offset weight to lessen the vibes. i'v been playing with some new pure zinc today and talk about nice
bullits. will post a update later.
jb

Dan Cash
06-29-2010, 12:31 PM
I just replaced the wood portion of my mould handles with two of those battery powered round vibrators that are widely available. ;)

mikenbarb
06-29-2010, 12:37 PM
I dont get it????:confused::confused: My boolits come out perfect without a vibrator. Im just jealous of that big ol' shock tip mine dont have.LOL.
I think im too scared to have my mold vibrating when im pouring molten lead into it but my g-friend might like it.[smilie=w:

AbitNutz
06-29-2010, 08:12 PM
The tempting part to me is that according to jbunny, you get perfect boolits right away, from a cold mold.

If this does work I would expect to get fewer rejects. I tend to be very critical.

skimmerhead
06-29-2010, 09:03 PM
why wouldn't it work on a regular bottom pour mold with a sprue plate? you make a system thats independent of your melt pot, that way it woun't vibrate your melt pot, only your mold. the limit switch is genious, an old sewing machine foot control, i have a few ideas on this and will tinker with it.

skimmerhead :lovebooli

357maximum
06-30-2010, 01:44 AM
Just drink 10 mountain dews before you cast and let ma nature do the jigglin for you. It works when I shoot , and it should work when ya cast. [smilie=l:

buck1
06-30-2010, 08:39 PM
Just turn the music up real loud! LOL

RP
06-30-2010, 09:08 PM
I was thinking he was doing it to remove any voids giving a better weight avg doing it with a colder mould or getting better fill out was a side benefit.

peterthevet
06-30-2010, 09:23 PM
I'm reasonably sure that some commercial foundries use large vibrating plates as an integral part of their pouring lines (using foundry sand molds)....not sure if only used for certain metals. Reason used is there are fewer rejects.............so this idea may be worth exploring/investigating further. Lot of good lateral thinkers/experimenters on this site!!!

mdi
07-01-2010, 12:14 PM
I fully understand the process "same reason u use a vibrater when pouring
concrete.", but I was wondering about the nose cast boolits. I figger it's to get a perfect base on the boolits (and with the vibrator a much better fill out base), but is there any other advantage to nose case? Nose cast and vibrating I would think you would get real consistant results.

AbitNutz
07-01-2010, 09:17 PM
I just tried it with my rigged up vibrator. I have an RCBS PorMelt and was able to use my B&D mouse sander to vibrate the mold hanger. It initially looked like this was going to do something as the spru definitely spread out more. However, I didn't see any difference in bullet quality. The mold still needed to be well up to temp and it was more important to put the mold directly on the pour spout.
So truth is, I never saw any real advantage using a 6 cavity .454 aluminum mold. It was also much more annoying.

MtGun44
07-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Ingenious solution to non-existent problem for me.

But if it makes anyone happy, it is wonderful.

Bill

jbunny
07-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Ingenious solution to non-existent problem for me.

But if it makes anyone happy, it is wonderful.

Bill
me thinks a lot of u missed the boat. u start casting zinc boolits and u will quickly see
why the vibrater and why the nose pour:lol:

MtGun44
07-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Zinc boolits?? Are you serious?

If so, I apologize for not taking this seriously as a needed
device. I was thinking of casting lead.

Bill

jbunny
07-09-2010, 04:00 PM
Zinc boolits?? Are you serious?

If so, I apologize for not taking this seriously as a needed
device. I was thinking of casting lead.

Bill
Bill; yes zinc. i've been at it for a year now and it's been long uphill battle.
there,s lots to learn about zinc. right now i'm leaning towards pure zinc
instead of the zamac alloy. zinc in its molten state is corosive and will leach
the iron, cromium, ore whatever aloy of the melting pot. look up some of my privous posts on zinc czsting
regards
Louis

oldtoolsniper
07-10-2010, 07:48 AM
Jbunny,
I am so glad we don't live close together, we would be in trouble. Hair clipper zinc vibrators! Dang I thought I was nuts trying to make a brass tumbler out of a bread maker and then there is the riding lawn mower waiting to become self propelled log splitter.

jbunny
08-24-2010, 08:05 PM
i have been cleaning up the shop for the last 2 days and i realy realy hate to throw stuff out but my 60 ft long shop is overflowing. 2 pickup loads to the dump.
i picked up this little jig saw i bought at a garage sale 25 years ago and never used it,
so i was just about to heave it in the garbage can and the light came on. casting vibrator. i just have to remove the long c goose neck and instal my limit switch.
this thing realy vibrates. i thinking i should put this under my bed. hehehe.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/MOUICH/castingvibrater5.jpg

Doc Highwall
08-24-2010, 08:43 PM
Is that the slot for the quarters in the middle of the plate?

jbunny
08-24-2010, 09:27 PM
yea. but i,ma gonna bypass that coin thingy. u don,t want to fumble around
to find a coin when doing something important.:bigsmyl2:
jb

bishopgrandpa
08-28-2010, 01:08 PM
I took the vibrator from an old vibrating recliner chair, mounted it to a piece of plywood and let it run next to my melting pot. After I cut the sprue I set the mould on it to loosen the bullet. Says banging on a sticking mould.

Salmon-boy
08-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Ok, I JUST have to ask if we're all having a BIT MORE fun casting lately???