PDA

View Full Version : Zinc Wheelweights.

bmblong
08-15-2006, 06:19 PM
I went by the place I've been getting ALOT of wheelweights from today. The guy only had about 1/4 of what I usually pick up. (I have been hoarding wheelweights, as many as I can get.) I looked at the tray where they keep their weights and they looked funny. I said "Hey are those zinc?" He said "That's all we use now."
I have just started casting and I'm already having trouble finding lead. I knew it was going to come to that eventually but I figured I had about ten years to stock up. I guess we'll see how it goes. I have one more place I get about 2 gallon worth about once every two months but after that I don't know. I'm not hurtin' for lead but I'm kind of trying to prepare for the future. Just thought you guys might like to know.

MT Gianni
08-15-2006, 11:50 PM
Is this USA, North America or elsewhere? Gianni.

bmblong
08-16-2006, 04:30 PM
Newport News, Virginia. I only have one auto parts store that gives them to me and I don't even think they are supposed to.

John Boy
08-17-2006, 10:50 PM
I'm not hurtin' for lead but I'm kind of trying to prepare for the future
Thanks Bruce because the 'future' is here today... darn tree huggers.

Been stocking myself too... over 800 #'s of WW ingots and 3 five gallon pails to melt

WBH
08-22-2006, 08:35 AM
I'm lucky I guess. The scrap dealer around here sells all the lead he gets (pure sheet through wheelweights) at 3-5 cents per lb depending on his mood that day. Probably has about 200+ pounds per week.

largecaliberman
08-31-2006, 04:41 PM
Just do what I do. I start my smelting operation by taking around 10 lbs of ww ingots and melt them down THEN stabalize the temperature just when the last glob of led is melted at around 730 degrees using a Lyman thermometer. I would check the melt again before I throw in the WW's. Most of the WWs will melt and the ones that doesn't, remove those suckers, thoes are the dreaded zinkies. Zinc melts at a higher temperature and is lighter than lead.

DLCTEX
08-31-2006, 04:56 PM
I worked a deal this week with a guy at a local tire shop. He didn't want to let me have wheelweights because he used them to make weights for a race car. He will swap me good weights for the zinc ones as he doesn't care about casting quality.