PDA

View Full Version : Maque Choux

pmeisel
06-23-2010, 08:16 AM
Try it, you'll like it. I usually use frozen corn, the corn on the cob season is so short... but the traditional recipes all call for cutting the corn off the cob and capturing the "milk" from that process in the corn.

Yield: Serves 6

4-6 tablespoons butter
4-6 cups corn kernels (4 – 6 fresh ears if you have them)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bell pepper, finely chopped (Anaheims a good substitute if you like a little spice)
Seasoning -- I use 1-2 tablespoons of Tony Chachere's, but you can substitute other cajun or creole seasoning -- or use salt, pepper, paprika, and cumin
1 cup chicken or vegetable stock (see cook’s notes)
1 tablespoon butter
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk

Melt butter in a big skillet or shicken fryer over medium heat. Add the corn, onion, bell pepper, and green onion, stirring just enough to keep the vegetables from burning. After a few minutes add the garlic and continue. Sauté until the onion is limp and transparent. Add the seasonings, stirring to combine. Reduce the heat to very low; add the stock and simmer until the liquid had almost evaporated, stirring often. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter until melted.

In a bowl, whisk the beaten egg and the milk together until frothy. Gradually add the egg mixture to the corn mixture, stirring briskly to keep the eggs from scrambling. Reduce heat back to low, cover pan and cook for 10 – 15 minutes, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan occasionally to keep mixture from scorching.

Remove from heat and transfer to a warmed serving bowl. Sprinkle with a little extra paprika and green onion tops, if you wish. Or try topping with shredded cheese on the plate. Serve while hot. Great side dish, hearty enough to substitute for potatoes for those who want a change of pace.

Cactus Farmer
06-23-2010, 03:54 PM
It sounds tasty, but in phonetics please, how is it pronounced??

pmeisel
06-23-2010, 10:00 PM
"Mock shoe" is the way I hear it. don't really know how it translates.... some cajun will be along to help shortly...

RayinNH
06-24-2010, 11:03 AM
"Muck shoe". The frenchman in me coming out...Ray

pmeisel
06-24-2010, 09:33 PM
Well, it sure tastes better than mucky shoes!

RayinNH
06-25-2010, 09:27 PM
Well, it sure tastes better than mucky shoes!

Well with the right preparation and a few spices, mucky shoes can be made into a tasty treat :wink:[smilie=p: