PDA

View Full Version : First lube/attempt

huntr43
06-23-2010, 01:09 AM
Well, I'll say it was nothing what I expected. First off. The Recipe 1lb beeswax 1lb ivory bar soap(shredded) and 4 tbsp of castor oil. In a gallon coffee can over a hot plate in my attatched garage. I started this with little more than the recipe and some help from StarMetal (thanks)
I knew i needed a tall container because it foams, so I melted the wax on low and a little at a time , added the soap. The soaps all in and it's getting foamy, light tan color. I knew (w/ help) the foam would go away at right temp. So I turn the heat up. Next, I'm overflowing. I dumped some out in a pot and kept cooking. I didn't know when to add the castor, so i thought. Hey it may make the foam go away. It didn't. Kept on cooking. Hot plate's maxxed out, still foamy and everything has turned brown. Wife comes home, garage full of smoke, and starts bitchin bout the smell. Garage door up. I'm thinking, what am i doing. Help told me he used a torch to assist. BOOM[smilie=p: soon as you know it, foam goes away and it's looking like a deep brown. It appears to be real sticky shat. I kept telling myself."It's not rocket science" and i'm capable 90% of the time. But I admit I was getting nervous. Any help and/or input would be great. :bigsmyl2:

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-23-2010, 07:48 AM
Tell wife to go inside and make dinner! :lol:

Never made that before, so I can't help with that recipe . . .

mroliver77
06-23-2010, 09:20 AM
Looks like you have given Joes soap lube recipe to the masses. ;).
My advice would be to make Felix lube using his recipe. I wont even try to give advice on the wife. Looks like 123DB has covered that. hehe
Jay

kawalekm
06-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Tell wife to go inside and make dinner! :lol:

No, tell the wife YOU'RE making dinner!

geargnasher
06-23-2010, 02:51 PM
I've tried Joe's soap lube myself, what I got after three attempts looked and acted just like caramel toffee and was so stringy that I never got the billions of bubbles to come out. When it cooled, it was rock hard and wouldn't work in the sizer since it's flow point was higher than I'm able to heat it. If you can figure out how to get it on the boolits I bet it would be the berries as a high-temp, high velocity lube, but I gave up because it was too hard to work with.

Keep pm'ing Joe, he's very helpful most times and can give you a better idea of how he's doing it.

However, for anything less than extreme pressure/velocity, you are much better served with Felix lube, and it's fairly simple to make. Just my two cents.

Gear

StarMetal
06-23-2010, 03:18 PM
Gear,

That's because you didn't heat it properly. You see the new guy has made, I have made it, BaBore has made....I'd say it's your technique not the lube.

StarMetal
06-23-2010, 03:21 PM
Way to go Hunter, I told you it required lots of heat. My next batch I'm going to heat up on my Coleman. Bet that is all it will take.

geargnasher
06-23-2010, 03:30 PM
Gear,

That's because you didn't heat it properly. You see the new guy has made, I have made it, BaBore has made....I'd say it's your technique not the lube.

Not knockin' your lube, Joe, just that some of us who've tried the formula you've offered are having a bit of trouble figuring out how to get it right.

Would you be willing to give some more exact cooking instructions in open forum?

Gear

StarMetal
06-23-2010, 03:53 PM
Not knockin' your lube, Joe, just that some of us who've tried the formula you've offered are having a bit of trouble figuring out how to get it right.

Would you be willing to give some more exact cooking instructions in open forum?

Gear

Yes I'll help you out. I'm not knocking you for the record. One tip is it takes lots of heat. It's best to get in on fast because if you take long it cooks the mix. I powdered my Ivory in the food processor. Wife didn't get on me for that because merely washed it out with water. I'm going to be making another batch and I'll precisely measure the amounts.

huntr43
06-24-2010, 12:40 AM
What fun! Had to throw out my coffe can and my funnel. I mangaed to save my hot plate. Melted the lube off my whisk and spoon with a torch. I should have asked more questions prior to starting. PMing while you're cooking probably raises a few flags. Thanks Joe for being on top of those PMs. I'll get it next time. I think it will work if I can remelt it again. I am really only out the wax.

I cast for 9mm, 40sw, 45acp, and I am pan lubing these. Is there a more suitable lube? I would also like to cast/pan lube for 30-06. So if you know someone. This site is the best.

Doby45
06-24-2010, 06:54 AM
Just get you some Carnuba Red.

StarMetal
06-24-2010, 07:49 AM
What fun! Had to throw out my coffe can and my funnel. I mangaed to save my hot plate. Melted the lube off my whisk and spoon with a torch. I should have asked more questions prior to starting. PMing while you're cooking probably raises a few flags. Thanks Joe for being on top of those PMs. I'll get it next time. I think it will work if I can remelt it again. I am really only out the wax.

I cast for 9mm, 40sw, 45acp, and I am pan lubing these. Is there a more suitable lube? I would also like to cast/pan lube for 30-06. So if you know someone. This site is the best.

Hunter,

I made the soap lube for extremer high velocity shooting in rifles. You would be better suited with something else with the hand gun calibers you mentioned. Not that the soap lube wouldn't work, it's over kill. A few come to mind. One is Javelina 50/50 NRA formula and the Carnuba Red mentioned. I mentioned the reason why I made the soap lube and the other reason is I didn't feel like paying Veral the high price for his LBT.

357maximum
06-24-2010, 09:00 AM
Generally I hate generalizations, but if you are not shooting the 06 over 2K and you do not live near the hubs of haites a simple mix of beeswax and vaseline in the proportion you find suitable is all you need. Start with a 50-50 mix and adjust accordingly till YOU and Prof. Gun are happy.